Average 10%  10%  [ 14 ]
Below average 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
I hate math / It's boring 15%  15%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 135

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2010, 9:53 pm

I consider myself below average, but compared to most people I know in everyday life, I am a bit higher-- so perhaps I am average. Never did well beyond Algebra 1.

Samarda
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

I`m an Autodidact , I would say I`m above average in Mathematics as I`m only 17 since I`ve learned Multivariable Calculus . Differential equations and Boolean Algebra by myself however I am now working on the fundamentals of Algebraic Geometry so far. I also have a strong passion in studying the history and works of great mathematicians and thier thoughts behind what led them to formulate such effervescence.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

Algebra always came easy to me. Basic math, espicaly mulplication was very hard becuase I could never memorise the times tables. I use a calculator for them in algebra. I think we should do away with teaching basic math and teach kids how to use a calculator in kindergarden and start teaching algebra as early as first grade.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:48 pm

Gigi830 wrote:
I SUCK at math. I also find it impossible to understand, unless it is Statistics or Geometry. I was the person in math class always asking, "Why?" to all the formulas and rules and exceptions. My math teachers hated me, LOL. I took Algebra 2x in HS to pass, 3x in college. And that was to just pass- I didn't get a good grade.Also, I am very good at science in the lab doing experiments, but when it comes to learning the theory ...well had to take that 3x (even though I passed the lab course section the 1st time).

My best subjects were English and History...basically anything Humanities related.

I don't see what's wrong with asking why. Memorizing formulas and rules is no good way to learn math.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

I'm better than everyone I know at math, but I'm not fast or good at memorizing numbers or formulas. It really irks me when people someone asks me to multiply some numbers in my head, and when I can't do it they are like "You took freaking AP Calculus last year and were at the top of your class, your supposed to be good at math.". Yes, I'm good at math, just in a different way. I'm not a calculator like Ryo was, I could never finish filling out the multiplication sheets in time. I still haven't memorized the quadratic formula. I'm just good at understanding to theory and working everything out. I hate actually doing math problems, but I do enjoy figuring out how to solve math problems.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

UberSneakyPanda wrote:
After high school, my math skills took off like a rocket. Turns out I am well adept at abstract reasoning. So much so I took lower division, upper division as well as Grad level classes. From Complex Analysis to Differential Geometry, from Linear Algebra to Algebraic Topology. I would not say i am a wiz by comparison to other mathl33ts. In the types of maths I studied logic ruled all, it was totally enveloping to me. Morning became night as the hours passed by with little more then a food break to distract me.

I didn't know I was any good at math until I was exposed to the higher level stuff. I seem to enjoy most topics where I can employ my visual-spacial intuition to some degree. I enjoy applied math the most, though I like going into the theoretical foundations more than most. I thought I was just anal retentive, but I never fully liked the idea of irrational numbers until I understood that you can define a precise logical construction using cauchy series. Picking up and learning real analysis as a self-study put me at ease with a lot of things.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

I answered "I hate math, it's boring" because although I am above average ability, it is less than my ability with other things (sciences and languages, particularly) and I have this annoying personal characteristic of not wanting to bother with things that are a little bit harder for me. I've always disliked math (though I liked calculus, oddly) but I can certainly do it.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

I never took much interest in maths however i always perform well at it and my level 1 test was 95% but realistically my maths is decent but could be better.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

I scored in the top 300 16-19 year olds (in 2007) in the UK for mathematics when I did a national competition that loads of schools all over the UK entered. I am also very talented at mental arithmetic and creating my own formulae for things.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

I love maths, I love the way that simple routines can be used to find answers. I like algebra more than others, and generally abstract maths more than concrete maths, so I'm self-learning differentiation right now. I'm okay at mental calculations in my head, but not fast.

Also,I love problem solving, but I normally over-complicate it, so sometimes I can't solve it. :( Anyone else do this?

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

I deinitely had a true talent at math when I was younger but let it slip away because it wasn't what I wanted for myself at the time. As just one example, when I took the math entrance exam at the beginning of my freshman year at an Ivy League college, I received "the highest score we've ever seen" to use their exact words. But at the time, I was more interested in other things where perhaps I saw weaknesses in myself that I felt needed strengthening. The end result, I think, is that I wound up a more well-rounded person but I've always kind of wondered how things would have turned out and where my life might have gone had I'd focused on my biggest strength instead of my weaknesses.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

I'm terrible at mathematics, actually give me math and I'm in my zone. Special interest Mathematics, double major for a Bachelor's degree Mathematics and Computer Science (the theoretical part that is a subfield of math being my focus). Eventually want a PhD in either discrete math or Logic....

I'm not one of the top mathematicians at all, I know people way more impressive than me, but I'm strong enough to be able to be described as a mathematician.

What other people think of as "math", no, that's not math. That's for a calculator. That, I'll turn to my computer for (I was actually really good at it when I was younger and still test at amazingly good at it, but its my weakness without question. I tend to do poorly on things like the GRE subject test because of the subtraction involved in questions, not the actual math)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

The funny thing is I don't know where, exactly, I stand in my relationship to math. It is complex. I am tutoring someone in math and am doing really well however I have never been good at it and have failed Algebra classes. I think those who can't do are much better at teaching. It's like, if I have a textbook and the instructions are there in front of me, math is so easy for me but if I am taking a test in it, math is super hard.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:59 pm

This poll saddens me. Also there is no "terrible" option.