Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 2:29 am

I notice my room-mate as of late has been listening to a lot of rap, which I've never known him to be that into.

I know he likes Metallica though, which I flat-out can't get into.

I know a lot of times people like really angry music to help express just how they're feeling about certain situations on the inside.

The thing is...I totally can't relate.

Half that music in the '90s-- the grunge and all that--I thought was totally inaudible, and what really hit me was that a lot of folks were saying "it expresses the pain and suffering that life really is".

What got to me about that was that I kept thinking "you wouldn't know pain and suffering if a house dropped on your leg". Half the people who talk about how horrible and terrible life is seem to be the ones who were spoiled rotten as kids and have no idea what suffering and being put thru hell really is.

I, in contrast, having gone thru all hell all my life, busting my @$$ like crazy to get where I am, enjoy upbeat music; the most "angry" music I enjoy is...Genesis. I kid you not.

I just don't understand the mentality of those who think they have life so hard and wouldn't know a hard life if it bit 'em where the sun don't shine, then have the nerve to tell us it's that reason that they listen to such angry music...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 2:44 am

Quote:
What got to me about that was that I kept thinking "you wouldn't know pain and suffering if a house dropped on your leg". Half the people who talk about how horrible and terrible life is seem to be the ones who were spoiled rotten as kids and have no idea what suffering and being put thru hell really is.

This is terrible logic. If you applied this logic to the extreme, the only person that would have right to complain or consider life awful is the one person in the world with the shettiest life. Therés also the fact to take into consideration that people apparently hide their feelings about things. They could have a lot of problems you aren't aware of. Judging someone's life like that is a no-no.

As for angry music, I like soft music. I used to be into hardcore, screamo... not much anymore. I prefer folk/pop [indie] to even rock. The music I have the most problem with is classical. Too many instruments going on at once, it is overwhelming.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:02 am

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I always wonder how the angry music is gonna help them solve their problems.

Also, look at it thru this perspective: my generation who were teens in the '90s seemed to have this "life is bleek" mentality, talking about angst and suffering.

It just reminds me too much of half the privileged kids who then tried to act all "ghetto" when rap music became popular.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:47 am

I listen to a lot of angry music, but usually the kind with distinguishable words. :)

I wouldn't tell you if I didn't care!

The year is still young.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:50 am

Believe me, if it wasn't for extremely angry music I would've ended up dead or in prison ages ago.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

I sometimes listen to angry music when I'm feeling stressed out or angry myself. I don't care much about the meaning or lyrics of the song, I just like the instrumentals, beat etc. But most of the time I listen to the Prodigy.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:52 am

Xeno wrote:
Believe me, if it wasn't for extremely angry music I would've ended up dead or in prison ages ago.

Really?! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

wow............

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 4:08 am

I love punk rock. Not so much because it's angry, exactly, but because it doesn't hide anything. That's what I find incredibly uplifting and such a relief, that there are people out there who are willing to tell simple unvarnished truths without worrying about looking stupid or saying things that are ugly. In a way, it's very vulnerable, to be out front screaming your heart out.

I also just really like the sound of it, the rawness and simplicity, with a (somewhat) melodic rock and roll beat.

And btw, I'm a 46 year old woman, not really your typical punk rock fan. :)

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 4:13 am

Xeno wrote:

This. Death metal makes me happy. It helps me play video games in peace and gets my mind off all those people who deserve my creativity (muwahahaHAHAHA*cough*cough*).

I am not talking about just Metallica either. The Berzerker and Lamb of God are more like it. I've lived my life and it's still hard.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 4:18 am

bee33 wrote:
I love punk rock. Not so much because it's angry, exactly, but because it doesn't hide anything. That's what I find incredibly uplifting and such a relief, that there are people out there who are willing to tell simple unvarnished truths without worrying about looking stupid or saying things that are ugly. In a way, it's very vulnerable, to be out front screaming your heart out.

I also just really like the sound of it, the rawness and simplicity, with a (somewhat) melodic rock and roll beat.

tell that to people in NJ :lol: :lol: :lol:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 4:27 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
bee33 wrote:

tell that to people in NJ :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm feeling kind of dense because I don't understand the joke. :oops: Clue me in! :D

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:37 am

bee33 wrote:
I

I too am a middle aged female punk rock fan. I suspect there are a lot of middle aged people who like punk rock. We got a taste for it back in the day when it was invented and we were young and just decided to never let it go.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:53 am

I like upbeat music and, generally music from the 50s through to the mid 80s. I like music that makes me feel good, and motivated. Sometimes I listen to grunge and rap, but that's just to experiment with my musical tastes. I want to be living my own matrix, not the reality of the world, that angry music reflects.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 7:00 am

I listen almost exclusively to "angry" music. It makes me feel something welling up inside and, if the song's good enough, can actually bring me to tears.

No upbeat song has any sort of effect on me, except sometimes giving me the urge to shout "ugh, shut that crap off!".

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 8:58 am

Lecks wrote:
I listen almost exclusively to "angry" music. It makes me feel something welling up inside and, if the song's good enough, can actually bring me to tears.

No upbeat song has any sort of effect on me, except sometimes giving me the urge to shout "ugh, shut that crap off!".

Same here.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 9:33 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I notice my room-mate as of late has been listening to a lot of rap, which I've never known him to be that into.

I know he likes Metallica though, which I flat-out can't get into.

I know a lot of times people like really angry music to help express just how they're feeling about certain situations on the inside.

The thing is...I totally can't relate.

Half that music in the '90s-- the grunge and all that--I thought was totally inaudible, and what really hit me was that a lot of folks were saying "it expresses the pain and suffering that life really is".

I, in contrast, having gone thru all hell all my life, busting my @$$ like crazy to get where I am, enjoy upbeat music; the most "angry" music I enjoy is...Genesis. I kid you not.

I just don't understand the mentality of those who think they have life so hard and wouldn't know a hard life if it bit 'em where the sun don't shine, then have the nerve to tell us it's that reason that they listen to such angry music...

It has to do with personality type. I can't understand soul-less judgemental people like you as much as you can't understand people who have a different musical taste than you.

By your same logic you also have no right to claim your life is "hard" since you didn't grow up in third world poverty, have both your parents murdered in front of you at the age of 10, or have your body mutilated / limbs amputated due to explosive shrapnel injury. My point is suffering is relative. You have no way of knowing what people go through if you can't exist in their shoes.

Also, I don't understand why if you are so tough and well-adjusted that you still need to judge and look down on people who have different life circumstances / personal tastes from you. Do you need to do this in order to feel better about yourself? Listening to angry music seems like a healthier outlet for personal angst than what you do.

And for the record I don't understand the mentality of people like you. I don't understand how people like you derive your entire sense of pride and self worth out of "I walked to work 10 miles uphill both ways in bare feet everyday to get I am today (... and you "other" people didn't)". It just seems so shallow and empty. Life is all one great big rat-race social-darwinist gladiatorial contest. Yea right. :roll: That just doesn't cut it for me. I need there to be something more to my life than that.