Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2010, 3:32 pm

I also can not get a mental picture of myself. Always surprised when I look in a mirror, I hate that. I also concur on getting haircuts, too stressful for me to let a stranger touch me. My hair is long and straight and I trim the ends myself.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:17 pm

I do, though I tend not to spend much time on my hair, I play with it all day but don't actually fix it. I'm very impressed by people who can just do their hair. I'm usually well put together otherwise. I like a designer handbag, well made shoes and comfortable clothes that are cute. I tend to dress myself like a doll. I like wearing interesting pieces, textures and colours.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 10:46 pm

I only do as much with my appearance as I have to.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:27 am

I do care how I look like in public as someone here already said but at home when no one but for mom with whom I live can see me, I don't care. I very often happen to wear my pajama top practically the whole day to change it for a sweater when it's so late that soon I need to take it off to replace it with the same pajama top I was wearing.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:31 am

i care about the way i look, because if i look in the wrong direction i will not see what i wanted to see.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:36 am

It depends really; I always shave, cause I have a 5 O'clock shadow, and once it grows back, it's hell to shave off again.

However, I shower every day, brush my teeth, comb my hair and all that.

I'll usually go the extra mile before going to work or seeing my girlfriend, but usually not otherwise.

As of late, I'll mostly just wear a t-shirt and khakis; I eventually want to get some Armani suits, but I can do that when I have a lot more money at my disposal than I do now. And I mainly want them because I'll want to dress nicely when I go out, especially to expensive eateries and all that.

Otherwise, no, I don't really care.

In fact, when I go clothes shopping, my first stop is the clearance aisle.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 May 2010, 6:43 am

I do not care how I look. I'm a little overweight, losing my hair, have marks all over my face from extremely bad acne as a kid, I don't shave every day & I wear shorts most everywhere I can. I honestly do not care much about how other people look either thou but I do have bad vision so that may have something to do with it. The main thing I'm self-conscious about is scars on my upper arm from slashing myself. I do NOT want to attract attention so I would never get tattoos or piercings either.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:56 pm

I wouldn't get tattoos or piercings either, but for me it's because I consider that abuse to my body.

That and I think they look incredibly stupid.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:25 pm

b9 wrote:
i care about the way i look, because if i look in the wrong direction i will not see what i wanted to see.
That is the awesomest post I've read today. :D

As to the topic, I don't care at all about how I look, and I find it a burden that I have to make the effort to look halfway decent when I leave the house. I've been mistaken for a man, and for a homeless person, so clearly the effort I make is sometimes lacking.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:15 pm

Well lets see here:
Shave ,shower, and brush teeth 2x daily.

I guess I dont want to offend , so I put clothes on and tidy up.
Some women have said to me " you look sharp" or" you are a handsome man "or "your a good looking guy", and I find the praise shallow and a turn off.
I think it turns my stomach because culture finds these things as virtues and little else is considered.

Quote:
b9 wrote:

I concur , and I get the pun. 8)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:34 pm

I'm just the opposite. I care way too much about how I look! If one little thing isn't perfect, it'll ruin my day. But I'm the type that gets emotional anyway.

I also do beauty pageants and you have to be confident with how you look in order to compete. I never lose, so I'm obviously doing the right stuff! Just this last weekend, I won Prettiest Eyes and Prettiest Smile.

I'm also very much into fashion and style and I always stick to the latest trends and what looks best on me. I absolutely cannot wear something just plain and usual. I need to stick out and have an outfit that turns heads (in the positive attention getting way, not the negative kind). I will not just go to the store in a T-shirt and sweatpants. No, no way.

Ironically, my hygeine skills could definitely be better. I get by with showering two to three times a week, but I just hate it. The water gets too cold too fast and then I'm freezing after I step out and for the next thirty minutes. My hair never seems to get truly clean because of this so it often feels like a greasy mess... I just hate it.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 8:30 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Well lets see here:
Shave ,shower, and brush teeth 2x daily.

I guess I dont want to offend , so I put clothes on and tidy up.
Some women have said to me " you look sharp" or" you are a handsome man "or "your a good looking guy", and I find the praise shallow and a turn off.
I think it turns my stomach because culture finds these things as virtues and little else is considered.

Quote:
b9 wrote:

I concur , and I get the pun. 8)

We might as well have laws governing the way people look.

The "Appearance fascists" will try to make your life miserable the second you step out the door anyway.

I can't believe the business world still expects people to wear ties, dress shirts/pants/shoes and jackets in the 21st century.

For one thing....you would think we'd be over that pointless bourgeois crap by now.

And aren't most people busy enough these days? Must employers continue to torture their employees by making them worry about dry-cleaning, ironing, polishing shoes, constantly shopping for new clothes, etc...???

I could understand SOME sort of uniform dress code in the business world, but the suit and tie nonsense needs to go already.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:03 pm

I care enough to have good hygiene. There's nothing worse then people who smell. On the other hand I tend to let my hair grow pretty long as well as my beard over time so I'll admit I don't care about keeping my hair neat.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 10:48 pm

i'm the textbook person who sleeps in my clothes and wears them for two or three days, although i wonder if it's because it takes me awhile to "acclimate" to them (due to itchiness, tags & seams irritating, etc) then i don't want to change until i have to.

once in a while i care how i look, but i'm guessing it's a lot less fussy than how most girls would define caring about how they look. i like interesting clothes, but i don't bother about whether my hair is brushed, styled, or even clean.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 11:27 pm

I am a woman and I do not wear makeup...I have too many sensory issues with my face...cant stand anything but lotion (with sunblock) and my own hands. I rub my face a lot, stim!
I wear comfortable clothes, mainly cotton, soft and no jeans ever. I tend to like pants that go to just below the knees (capri pants) as I also rub my legs. I am very clean and always use vanilla lotion and wash from Victoria Secret...I also shave, except my head. I have long hair but I do not wash it every day or it would be like straw. I like my hair to be soft so it does get a bit greasy but, oh well....rather put up with that now and then than have dry brittle hair. I also use baking soda on my teeth after toothpaste and flossing. I take care of my teeth because I hate going to the dentist. My Mom never really made me take care of my teeth but I do now. I also worry about my breath, I guess its a sort of OCD thing or maybe its just that I am so sensitive to smell.
I never "do" my hair aside from the times I put it up in a pony tail...or two. My Mother gave up on me years ago. I remember her trying to put some lacy dress on me when I was about two and laying on the ground screaming and trying to tear it off because it was itchy. I was her only girl and I was a tom-boy!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 12:42 am

I care very much how I look.

I care more about how it feels.

I do not check the fashions to decide HOW I want to look.

Except that I will consciously avoid doing something that is too in.

I was longhaired before everyone went longhaired - at which point I shortened it.