Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:28 pm

I was referred to Hearts and Minds(clinic run by Prof Tony Attwood) by my primary psychologist for a cementing of AS dx(she had already dx me but wanted a second opinion). It went really well. It was good to talk to someone who did not react the same way conventional psychotherapists do. He was very practical and asked me lots of interesting questions.

Anyway, we had a funny dialogue:

He said "Firstly, why do you want a dx?"

I said, surprised "I didn't want I dx but I got one anyway. So what are we going to do about it? By the way, that is a lovely pen you are using. May I see it?"

he passes me his pen.

I said "Do you have it engraved?"

He said "Yes, I do."

I continued to look for the engraving on the lovely pen, but my eyes are not so good.

I said "Well, they spelt your name incorrectly. Your name is not "Mont Blanc"."

There was this moment of silence and then we laughed our guts out. I am not sure if he thought I was serious or not. I love it when I have these occasional flashes of wit. I feel like giggling like a school girl at "making a funny."

Anyways, I am definitely on the spectrum, and he feels we can do a lot to improve my life(I am on disability). After all that is the reason for dx is it not?

Good day overall.

Mics

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 5:11 am

i wish there was stuff like that out in the sticks.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 5:24 am

West End = hell on Earth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 6:30 am

Danielismyname wrote:
West End = hell on Earth.

care to talk about it a bit?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 6:53 am

Busy, people, noisy, crowded, noise, people, people, people, noise, cars, noise, people, busy, loud, buildings, cars, people, buildings, people and too much visual and auditory stimulation. Not to mention that it's right next to the inner city (and you need to travel through it most times).

Worst place ever to put an ASD clinic IMO.

O, and the stairs leading up to the place, inside and out (too dangerous for people with balance problems IMO); the waiting room with screaming kids (kids with ASDs can be...very difficult to be around).

And I won't get started on the "treatment".

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:44 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Busy, people, noisy, crowded, noise, people, people, people, noise, cars, noise, people, busy, loud, buildings, cars, people, buildings, people and too much visual and auditory stimulation. Not to mention that it's right next to the inner city (and you need to travel through it most times).

Worst place ever to put an ASD clinic IMO.

O, and the stairs leading up to the place, inside and out (too dangerous for people with balance problems IMO); the waiting room with screaming kids (kids with ASDs can be...very difficult to be around).

And I won't get started on the "treatment".

Hey there, totally get what you mean. I had to take diazepam before I went. I also have vestibulopathy so took my time going up the stairs and the kids were a bit much. The lights in the waiting area were terrible so I wore my sunglasses until I went into the office area.

What problems did you have with the treatment?

Mics