Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jul 2010, 7:18 am

people use ocd without knowing what it means the same way they use schizo or psycho. i have ocd and it is mostly in connection with food and intrusive thoughts

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:05 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Everyone has OCD to a certain extent, like how everyone has autism to a certain extent. I guess it's just another case of whether or not you have enough traits for a diagnosis.

That is not true, and your claim epitomizes what I mean by "OCD"

What most people have is a normally functioning basal ganglia and abnormality free white matter. Their doubt is normal. Their uncertainty is normal. And their desire to double check is normal and appropriate.

People with OCD have a disorder.There is a very big difference.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 2:41 am

Chronos wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Everyone has OCD to a certain extent, like how everyone has autism to a certain extent. I guess it's just another case of whether or not you have enough traits for a diagnosis.

That is not true, and your claim epitomizes what I mean by "OCD"

What most people have is a normally functioning basal ganglia and abnormality free white matter. Their doubt is normal. Their uncertainty is normal. And their desire to double check is normal and appropriate.

People with OCD have a disorder.There is a very big difference.

That's what I meant. Everyone has the basic behaviours, but they will only be diagnosed with the disorder if they have them to an extent that intrudes in their day-to-day life.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm

Can someone tell me if THIS sounds like true OCD--my 14 year old son (who has AS)--has certain behaviors that relate to germs. He won't wipe himself but instead insists that I (his mom) wipe him, because he is concerned that he will get poo on his hands. Then I have to wipe him at least 10 times (actually its a random number) until he thinks the toilet paper is clean enough, as he says his butt itches otherwise.

Then he washes his hands for a while after this. Sometimes during the day he tells me to wipe him again because his butt iches and he thinks that it is "butt sweat" (lol).

Is this OCD, germphobia, or something else? Its not fun for me, I know that. Once when I was in an especially annoyed mood with this, I suggrsted to him that he wanted the wipes because it felt good (although I did wonder) and he got really pissed.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm

This is a case of a very unhealthily codependent mother. Get you son some gloves and have him wipe himself.

sagenottheherb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2011, 5:29 am

Lightning88 wrote:
Here's another one I wanted to add as well. Even when I was just eighteen months old, I was already very organized. I apparently used to take all the wash cloths in the house and fold them up into neat little stacks. I did the same thing with pots and pans sized inside each other properly. And when I was four, one of my favorite games was "video store", where I would take all the videos in the house and display them properly in the living room. When I was ten, I always used to organize the Tae Kwon Do pads whenever we were finished up with class. The other kids often wanted to help, but I never let them in fear of messing up my work.

I also have OCD, which gets worse when I'm stressed, but that's beside the point. When I was little, I also used to arrange things. I would take all the clothes out of my parents closets, and then I would arrange them exactly neatly on top of each other. I thought that might have something to do with my artistic abilities, but maybe it also has to do with ocd. I really think that OCD and art have a lot to do with each other as well, or at least, they influence each other in my case. It is interesting that there are such early signs such as these. Does this mean that whenever a child displays interest in organization, they will obtain ocd? I think it also means that neurological disorders like ocd are weirdly labeled as disorders, because they are so inherent to personality, hence early symptoms, and more importantly, early non-problematic symptoms. I also have synesthesia, and trypophobia.

sagenottheherb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2011, 5:44 am

nansnick wrote:
. The second type of scenario I experience is more similar to what happens commonly or when I was growing up. This is where a word or phrase gets stuck in my head, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere, and will repeat itself over and over. This usually causes me little to no anxiety, and is usually something harmless and is usually associated with something that is either amusing or enjoyable. Sometimes its "weird" and rarely cause for concern, though uncomfortable thoughts do happen. When it gets out of hand it often becomes a serious distraction. For instance the word "foliage" is something that I will often find myself repeating for comfort or fun, other people have noted or comment upon this behavior confused as to the 'odd' repetitive behavior. This type I can deal with.

i have/used to have ocd. (it got a lot better). But, I ALSO have the word-repeating in my head syndrome. It often happens when I am in a cross-country race, and sometimes when I am running for a long period of time, but i think when I'm pretty stressed out. One time I had the word "embarasado" which means pregnant in Spanish for the half hour long race. It was very strange, and very much felt like it was stuck, and it was kind of unpleasant, even though I guess it was a nice word. It's almost always a weird spanish word, that is pronounced weirdly.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 8:12 am

I think I have "OCD"-Just harmless little quirks that satisfy my predilection
for symmetry.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 9:07 am

"OCD" is commonly mistaken with OCPD. The two conditions are unrelated, despite the name. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder is the one associated with perfectionism and having everything in the proper order.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:14 am

Part of the problem is perhaps because the adjective "obsessive-compulsive" applys both to OCD and OCPD.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

So I actually did understand OCD back when all I knew about OCD was from Xenocide and the Internet and stereotypes ruined my view of it. Thanks for writing this, it was very important to point this stuff out. Now if only we could educate the rest of the Internet....

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

i dont have much intrusive thoughts but often i think something, some sentence, and this sentence keeps repeating in my mind, many times when i get aware of the repetition im like WTF!! happens similar to the aviator in The Aviator movie but only in my mind and it doesnt depend on the topic, im not obsessed with anything in particular

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 6:32 pm

For awhile, I was convinced that I had OCD, but I was wrong, because my understanding of OCD was totally wrong. I blamed all my ASD-related repetitive behaviors on OCD, when I didn't understand the nature of compulsions or know that the "obsessive" referred to intrusive thoughts. It was only when I was clinically screened for OCD that I stopped believing that I had OCD.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Oct 2011, 6:39 pm

I'm obsessed with the possibility that I might have autism and my posts on here reflect that obsession. I'm also obsessed with the possibility I'm a prodromal schizophrenic because I seem to have a childhood that's incompatible with autism and I definitely have some "odd" traits and difficulties relating to semantic/linguistic processing (But, I do seem to have some legit ToM difficulties relating to "knowing what's appropriate to say" and not appropriate, and how to say it, like, knowing how to use the right tone of voice and volume.). I'm also obsessed with the possibility that the two former obsessions are due to OCD. Could it? I think about it nearly all day in every possible situation (Was that behavior schizophrenic? Was it autistic?), but I don't feel particularly "stressed" by it. I mean, yeah, I guess I am... but, I feel calm most of the time when thinking these thoughts (Or so I think).