Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2010, 5:26 pm

And if so, when old friends ask for your phone number....do you get nervous about talking to them?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 5:30 pm

I use Facebook; and I've never been asked for my phone number, but if I were to be asked by a friend whom I trust, I wouldn't have any problem giving it to them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 6:05 pm

I used to, but I don't anymore.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 6:08 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I used to, but I don't anymore.

Same here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 6:49 pm

Yes I do. No one has never asked for my phone number yet.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2010, 7:13 pm

I use Facebook quite frequently. As for the phone number thing, it depends upon the person asking for it. If I would give it to the person in real life, I would give it to them on Facebook (usually through a private message). I am in the telephone book though if anyone wants to look me up.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 7:55 pm

I just deleted mine. I don't like the bait and switch privacy b.s. zuckerberg is pulling. using keywords to target adds is annoying but I can understand supporting a site that way. he's going way beyond that, without any consensus from users (or any attempt at even getting one) and it got too creepy. and the inevitable 'look what we've just done for your own good and because we love you so much' privacy change notifications just sealed it for me.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 8:32 pm

I use FB, no one has asked for my phone number. I guess I would be sort of flattered if they asked, but also a bit nervous 'cause I don't like talking on the phone. I've almost deleted mine too, but I use the groups on there a lot.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 9:49 pm

I use facebook, and I have never really been asked for my number... I keep only my cell number listed on my profile, visible to friends - in hexadecimal. So there's still some measure of security. 8)

But they do not have me

LK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2010, 10:56 pm

One of the reasons I use it is to avoid having to talk to people on the phone. O_o I have a love/hate relationships with Facebook. People post asinine things and the site layout changes far too often for my sameness-loving mind. But I do like being able to know what is going on with friends and acquaintances and to be able to communicate with them without picking up the phone.

I used to get nervous if anyone asked for my phone number anywhere. Now, I just plainly tell people I prefer IM or email. I am sure some of them find my refusal to talk to them on the phone rude, but seeming polite isn't worth talking on the phone to me. Other than a couple of friends who I make exceptions for, I do not use the phone except for business.

While Mr. Kim... has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.
- Dr. Sheldon Cooper (TBBT)

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2010, 12:22 am

No one has ever asked for my phone number on there. I have my google voice number listed, which can only do voice mail and texts (I don't want people calling me if I don't have their number in my phone already), but no one from facebook has ever tried to call or text that number.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 4:55 am

I had an account breifly, pretty much out of pure curiosity - what's so great about this Facebook thing anyway, I thought. Turns out, nothing. I found it crap, and privacy invading too. I now no longer have an account.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 8:04 am

I think I'll stick with WrongPlanet, from now on.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 2:24 pm

I just had an old friend give me her phone number via Facebook. She expects me to call. :( It's difficult to say "I would hate to call you, I'd like to see you and speak to you in person, or electronically is fine, but I very much don't want to talk to you over the telephone" without causing consternation, or at least, I find it so. :wink:

The year is still young.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 2:32 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I just had an old friend give me her phone number via Facebook. She expects me to call. :( It's difficult to say "I would hate to call you, I'd like to see you and speak to you in person, or electronically is fine, but I very much don't want to talk to you over the telephone" without causing consternation, or at least, I find it so. :wink:

I am not very talkative on the phone either. I think if you told her you are not a phone person and would rather chat in person or online she would not take offense. A lot of people are like that, at least I think so. Also you would be indicating that you do want to talk to her, just not on the phone.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 2:50 pm

I keep myself away from Facebook and similar websites :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY