Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:35 am

Do you script (i.e. take phrases or actions you see in movies or television and incorporate them into your life)? Do you think this is common among NT's as well?

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:56 am

I script from the TV and from other people. Sometimes people without autism will quote a TV show or something, but it fits into the conversation better than when I do it. I seem to be the only one who sees the connection when I use my scripts.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:17 pm

I think NTs script consciously while for Autistic people, it comes out of their thinking process. Like, an NT person will pick out a "funny" part of a film and say it all the time to be "funny". But the Autistic person is usually communicating their thoughts and feelings through whatever part of what they have seen that comes out at the time.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:25 pm

Every day. Because sometimes I find conversations difficult I think about them hours and sometimes days in advance trying to think about what I should say. Unfortunately, although I can predict my side of the conversation I cannot say that about the other party, that's when things sometimes fall apart.

Vanilla_Slice

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:38 pm

Yes, continuously!

But if I fail to borrow a script from another source, I script myself, i.e. give myself a list of topics and clever, funny lines I might be able to use. It would sound kind of insincere to the NTs if they knew I sort of planned things ahead of time, but they fail to realize that putting in that much effort in sincerity to me.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:53 pm

I take bits and pieces of things and add their distinctiveness to my own. Most people don't get alot of my references though.

But they do not have me