yes 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
no 40%  40%  [ 37 ]
i have in the past but not at the moment 35%  35%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 93

bigboff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2010, 3:20 am

i heard that like 1 in 3 people on the spectrum ever get a full time jon it was on the programme the autistic me which was a great warch by the way but id just like to know about my prospects like how mnay people have a levels and university degressa nd full time jobs please answer the poll

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 3:36 am

I've worked full time in the past. I have no college degrees.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 4:05 am

I work 7 nights a week but it still is only part time hours. I have had many full time jobs and have had a full time plus a part time job on the side several times. Jobs are not hard for me if they are manual labor, it is dealing with people and coworkers that is the deal breaker for me, I can never get it right no matter how hard I try. At this job the coworkers I have I almost never see, and only hear from occasionally.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 4:17 am

I used to work full time, in the late 90s.

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2010, 6:18 am

I used to , some years ago... been on disability allowance for awhile now and i hate it , i hate living at home. 30years old and my life sucks hard , going to see an employment agency today but i don't feel much hope for myself as when i do get a job i just can't hold one down. Panic attacks , headaches , shakes...

Read " my bullied life " Thread to understand

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:05 am

I spent some time in the navy, onboard a submarine, which was pretty nice. Few people to remember, isolation from the rest of the world, not squinting because the sun is out on an overcast day.
After the navy i went back to school, and 6 years later i got my BS in radiation science. I now have a full time job as a radiation therapist at a veteran's hospital.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:10 am

I am retired from my first job, and having fun working full time now.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:53 am

Well, bigboff, I have no full time job, and I never did. I had a part-time job as a cleaner once, and now I have this in-between thing that's not a 'real' job, but it's also part time. I have no university degree.

However, this has absolutely nothing to do with your chances. A one in three ratio of people in the spectrum getting a full time job is but a statistic, even if the causes of this ratio are analyzed an presented in a TV program or anywhere. Also consider that many people who are not autistic have a part time job because it suits them better.

While it is wise of you to gather information on how well autistic people in general do on the job market, please remember that you should not let a high percentage of people who ran into trouble while trying to find a job (or were laid off, or failed to get their college degree), demotivate you. In my own case, I believe that it's as much my personality as it is my autism that caused me to strand at some points. Someone else in my place would have done it differently.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 10:13 am

Find something you can do for money that you enjoy so much, you'd do it even if you weren't getting paid. Even better if it's something that requires little to no supervision and allows you to work mostly alone. Analyze your own special interests, then offshoots of those interests. You'll find something compatible.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 2:30 pm

I voted "had one in the past but not at the moment".

I haven't worked at all for nearly a year now. All the jobs i've had, either full time or part time, were unskilled/menial positions which needless to say...paid little more than minimum wage. As depressed as I am currently.......even the thought of bagging groceries makes me shudder.

Which makes perfect sense considering that i'm 40 years-old and haven't managed to pick up ONE skill in all these years.

I have an AA degree in liberal arts which of course means so much less than nothing it doesn't even deserve a :roll:

No need to complain/whine about all this since i've done plenty of that already on WP.

It's just a simple statement of the facts of my life.

THIS is what any sort of brain-based (developmental or otherwise) disorder obviously has the POTENTIAL to lead to.

The way I see it....anyone in my situation who didn't desire a "cure" would be the greatest masochist in history.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 2:34 pm

I chose that I have in the past but not now. I don't know if that is accurate. I consider my art career as full-time, but my paid work time usually equals a part time schedule. I probably spend a lot more time at it than I think. I have a lot of work at home even if I don't get a paycheck for that.

I have an associates in Financial Management, an Associates in Web Development, and almost a Bachelors in Graphic Design.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 4:47 pm

I'm 15, I can't be in full time employment by law. But I'm already working on becoming an entrupenaur and a stock trader/investor. When I'm older I'll either be a hedge fund manager, or I'll run my own companies. Maybe I'll do both.

Trust me, I won't be one of those people who lives with their parents for their whole lives and can't be independant. Tell me it can't be done while I'm sailing my yacht towards Monaco's harbour.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 5:19 pm

ASP-Z

Quote:
Trust me, I won't be one of those people who lives with their parents for their whole lives and can't be independant. Tell me it can't be done while I'm sailing my yacht towards Monaco's harbour.

But for the grace of god......or so to speak coming from an atheist.

I am *one of those people* and I can assure you...it's a fate far worse than death insofar as i'm concerned at least.

The only thing that keeps me alive is my non-negotiable self-preservation instinct. It's pretty bad when you actually envy the suicidal.

An abortion would've been the kindliest thing anyone could've ever done for me.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:23 pm

Quote:

I've had full time employment for about 15 years now. A full time job won't make that thought go away. I have similiar thoughts.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:34 pm

Francis wrote:
Quote:

I've had full time employment for about 15 years now. A full time job won't make that thought go away. I have similiar thoughts.

I think full time employment can often increase these kind of thoughts. I can't say I wouldn't have them even I was working full time in some profession paying me $70,000 per year.

My mother does and she hates her job and her life.

They don't call it wage-slavery for nothing you know.

And god didn't curse Adam with "By the sweat of thy brow" for nothing either.

:wink:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 8:02 pm

I have such horrible luck with job searches that I've pretty much just given up on finding a job. The only time I managed to land a job was when I signed up for a summer employment program last year for special-needs kids. It was basically volunteer work for which you get paid.

I've recently been admitted into a program called DARS, which is a rehabilitative service for people with disabilities, and they should help me get a job in the near future.