Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2010, 10:22 pm

hey does anyone have difficulty falling asleep? most times when it's time to go to bed, i find myself unable to sleep (i'm not tired at all even at 3 in the morning). so as a result sometimes i don't get to sleep for like 1 or even 2 hours. even if i'm a little tired, i have a hard time getting to sleep. so either i wake up at like 1 or 2 in the afternoon if i don't have to be anywhere or after i get home after school, i take a 4-5 hour nap (i wake up around 6am so sometimes i get only like 2-3 hours of sleep those days and i get home around 1pm). either way i can't get to sleep that night either because of these reasons. my dad really pisses me off because he tells me i need to go to bed earlier and all i'm thinking is that i can't fall asleep earlier so what's the point in going to bed earlier? then he tells me i can't sleep because i wake up so late/take a nap in the middle of the day. and i'm thinking that i wake up late/take a nap in the middle of the day because i can't sleep the night before. does anyone else see my problem here?

and i always had trouble falling asleep, even as a kid

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 10:41 pm

That sounds very familiar. :|
I have an absurdly difficult time getting to sleep before 2 and I have to wake up at 5 to get ready for school. (That leaves time for reading/computer time/spacing out and forgetting to get ready, and then I leave at 6:35)
I take Benadryl, an antihistamine, rather frequently. I always fall asleep in half an hour or less.
If I take a nap after school, I usually end up sleeping from 3 PM to 7 PM but then I can't sleep at all at night, and I'm still tired afterward...
My parents get really mad if they notice I'm awake after 10:30 :?
When I had my advanced placement exams I didn't sleep at all...mostly because I was thinking about how important it was to get a decent amount of sleep :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 10:43 pm

I have trouble getting to sleep, sometimes. I've made a few adjustments, and they seem to be working.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 11:35 pm

I have always suffered from insomnia and other sleep issues. The things I've done that help are 1) a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed and 2) practicing good sleep hygiene (especially not reading in bed for any length of time.) Here's some more info on sleep hygiene: http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm

I can never fall asleep if I have to be up early. These days, if I have something important I need to get up for, I take ambien.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

19 May 2010, 11:46 pm

I often have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. I rely on benadryl most nights. I even have spurts of a couple months where even benadryl doesn't work and I end up with only 2-3 hours of sleep per night. It is REALLY annoying.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 12:22 am

I mostly have trouble if it's the night before I have something planned...like, even work. If I'm sleeping in the next day, I have some minor trouble, but barely any.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 12:29 am

My circadian runs on about a 31 hour cycle. Most days, I wake before 8 but spend hours to achieve full cognition. I work, but don't hit mental peak until 8-9 PM and usually run at high output until 2 AM... but since I have been so focused, it takes a few hours to unwind, leaving me anywhere from 2-5 hours a night (leaning towards the fewer).

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 1:57 am

Eight hours every night, no problem.

Vanilla_Slice

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 1:59 am

I do too. Or forget to sleep.

I know! Count book_noodles' cool sheep avatar! Jumping over a fence. With a glass of warm milk.

1 sheep
2 sheep
3 sheep
4 sheep
5 sheep
6 sheep
7 sheep
8 sheep
9 sheep
......................................................................................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Note: I LOVE my weighted blanket & it helps with sleep very much.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 2:06 am

LabPet wrote:

I know! Count book_noodles' cool sheep avatar! Jumping over a fence. With a glass of warm milk.

1 sheep
2 sheep
3 sheep
4 sheep
5 sheep
6 sheep
7 sheep
8 sheep
9 sheep
......................................................................................................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've actually counted action figures in the past...most specifically just naming off GI Joes; worked like a charm; but then, I'm a die-hard toy fanatic.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 2:20 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
LabPet wrote:

1 sheep
2 sheep
3 sheep
4 sheep
5 sheep
6 sheep
7 sheep
8 sheep
9 sheep

I've actually counted action figures in the past...most specifically just naming off GI Joes; worked like a charm; but then, I'm a die-hard toy fanatic.

:D Now, I must sleep. I arrived back, by airplane, from minor surgery today and now beyond sleepy.

Last edited by LabPet on 20 May 2010, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2010, 2:24 am

I find listening to audiobooks as I lie awake in bed helps me fall asleep.

It takes my mind off the ceaseless thinking; focusing on the story helps me drift off

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

20 May 2010, 3:11 am

Take Ambien. walk upstairs, lay down, asleep.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2010, 5:29 am

aloneinacrowd wrote:
Take Ambien. walk upstairs, lay down, asleep.

I take a sleeping tablet every night too - although I prefer Lunesta to Ambien, as Ambien would always cause me to wake up after 3 or 4 hours and not feel refreshed at all. On Lunesta I can usually get at least 6-7 hours.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:34 am

I'm told Nyquil also does the trick...but I don't want to risk screwing around with my body with medications intended for ailments just to fall asleep.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 8:29 am

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
I find listening to audiobooks as I lie awake in bed helps me fall asleep.

It takes my mind off the ceaseless thinking; focusing on the story helps me drift off

That worked when I was between four and eight years old and still had a casette player shaped like a robot :lol: ... I should try that again :) with CD's. I wish I could find the robot one though. It looked like the one from "Toy Story."