Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 4:50 am

Ive noticed the vast majority of the brothers and sisters on WP listen to the same sort of music, and barely none can stand rap, hip-hop, grime the like of that.

Is it aspie reasons, a matter of taste, or somethig else ?

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2010, 5:27 am

I must be the exception then, because I like some hip-hop/garage/R&B stuff - although not all of it, by any means.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2010, 6:32 am

I usually only like music which has a clear and simple bass chord which I can follow along with. Fewer lyrics and more instrumental is always a plus.

hip-hop/garage/R&B usually is too hectic a style of music for me, although I like some. I have also been told I mix types of music that do not belong together, I can move from alt. rock to reggae in one song and not find that strange.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:48 am

i could never go for "off the rack" music, mine has to be custom [out of the ordinary] in some way. rap/hiphop is too thumpy for me, plus the lyrics sound like too much slangy ranting/boasting to me. but country "wrap" is interesting. new "country" is anything but. but i like or at least am interested in just any other type of music, aside from punk and metal [too harsh for me]. i'm also sensitive to the anapestic rhythm endemic in much modern music which makes my heart pound. not good.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:03 am

I like some hip hop. These days I'm finding all music a bit of an irritant, but in my time I've probably been into everything for at least a little while.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2010, 8:14 am

I like classical and new age. Early jazz too. Lyrics destroy the beauty of the music, except Enya's beautiful voice.
Aspies dislike noise, and if what you say is true then hip hop which is upbeat is noise.
Wittgenstein only liked very old composers.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 8:14 am

I was thinking about this the other night, Starrsy. It's something about the rhythm of hip-hop or rap. It sets me on edge and gives me a bit of a headache. Also, if they start the record-scratching sounds, they hurt my ears. Some low-key hip-hop I enjoy, though, especially if it's interspersed with more lyrical music.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 8:46 am

I can pretty much get into everything except for MOST rap/country

certain rap songs I can enjoy (Flo Rida - Right Round being one of them), as for country, I particularly enjoy Johnny Cash.

As stated in my sig though, I am definately a Rock/Metal person, with heavy leanings towards a more progressive/avant garde sound. As for how I react, oddly enough the power of most metal can stabilize my mood a bit.

@Auntblabby: have you tried listening to nightwish or therion yet? those bands are metal, but they have heavy operatic elements, especially thereon. Nightwish isnt nearly as heavy on the operatics, but when you have a good instrumental backing, along with the fact that the singer (which is female, both the current and previous singer) that has a very beautiful voice, i makes for an excellent combo. I cant recommend a Therion song for ya but I can recommend some nightwish. Check out the songs Nemo and Wishmaster. Nemo is a really gentle song, while wishmaster is a bit heavier with more operatic elements in it. Could also check the song 'end of all hope'.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 10:03 am

I enjoy music with a simple, catchy repetitive beat and melody. That being said, my favorite genres of music are bubblegum dance and eurodance.

SeaMonkey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2010, 10:21 am

Starrsy wrote:
Ive noticed the vast majority of the brothers and sisters on WP listen to the same sort of music, and barely none can stand rap, hip-hop, grime the like of that.

Is it aspie reasons, a matter of taste, or somethig else ?

I like it all rap, country, Scandinavian death metal, even Romanian gypsy music. My favorites dubstep though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2DORToT ... 1&index=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cEXmysh ... re=related
old school jungles pretty good too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21EeGR0iv2A

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 10:43 am

Most of my music is rap and R&B. I do have a bit of rock though.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2010, 11:03 am

Starrsy wrote:

Is it aspie reasons, a matter of taste, or something else ?

I have a problem, as I grew up with metal, and I like metal. The problem is that it goes from good to painful easily, if I don't have immediate control of the volume. I keep my hand on the knob (I don't like volume controls with "up"/"down" buttons, as I need to be able to twist a knob for instant response.

I don't like rap or hip-hop for a number of reasons, but certainly the repeated heavy slow rhythm of many rap pieces, causes an uneasy feeling regardless of the content of the words or the volume. However, older style country music is pleasing to me at almost any volume (except distortedly loud). Honestly, I prefer a silent environment in 99.9999% of situations.

Charles

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 11:33 am

kx250rider wrote:
Starrsy wrote:

Is it aspie reasons, a matter of taste, or something else ?

I have a problem, as I grew up with metal, and I like metal. The problem is that it goes from good to painful easily, if I don't have immediate control of the volume. I keep my hand on the knob (I don't like volume controls with "up"/"down" buttons, as I need to be able to twist a knob for instant response.

I don't like rap or hip-hop for a number of reasons, but certainly the repeated heavy slow rhythm of many rap pieces, causes an uneasy feeling regardless of the content of the words or the volume. However, older style country music is pleasing to me at almost any volume (except distortedly loud). Honestly, I prefer a silent environment in 99.9999% of situations.

Charles

yeah, your like the complete opposite of me, I need background noise of some sort or I cant concentrate at all.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2010, 12:10 pm

Oh dear! Its taken me quite a while to pinpoint the particular style of music I want to play on my fiddle.
I can listen to other fiddle styles but I'm not drawn to play them myself.

That means a lot to me.
If I'm not drawn to actually play a particular kind of music, its of the other than me isn't it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 12:35 pm

I like old fashioned rock n roll songs that have a message to them, and classical music. I don't care much, for the music of today.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 2:32 pm

I mostly listen to pop, hip hip, and trance. Anything that is energetic, melodic, and has a good beat works for me. I actually genuinely enjoy this kind of music, as opposed to liking it solely because it's popular. I mostly listen to anything that is after circa year 2000. However, I also enjoy listening to classics such as Simon & Garfunkel or The Beatles. And I've loved classical music for my whole life.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.