Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hansie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2010, 1:06 am

I am expecting the answer to this question to be different for everybody. However, I am curious if other people can 'forget' their AS and what do they do or where do they go to do it?

I have a constant feeling reminding me of my AS with nearly everything I do but when I listen to heavy metal music the feeling goes away. When its loud and its heavy, it doesn't matter if its fast or slow, I can lose myself in the music and forget my AS for awhile. When I go to concerts or festivals I feel normal and I feel my best when I am being pinned up against the stage or being knocked around in the pit. After a good show I can be relaxed and happy for a week or more after the show.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 1:16 am

Q- where do i go to forget my AS?
A- to sleep.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 4:13 am

To my clubhouse.

lostinparadise
Raven
Raven

19 May 2010, 4:19 am

Like you for me music is mostly the relaxing method to get out of this whole social maze and it makes me feel quiet normal for myself.then i don't let others alter my mood and get the control over my feelings only when i listen music

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2010, 4:48 am

meditation - contemplation - stimming :P

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 8:35 am

Dr Tony Attwood famously stated: "I can 'cure' Asperger's Syndrome easily. Just have the patient go into his own room and close the door !"

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 8:41 am

I go to a Dungeons and Dragons meet up group that meets every other Saturday. I am the big guy who sits away from the rest of the group.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2010, 8:44 am

I go to bed. No pesky NT obstacles to be negotiated there (at least not during periods of my life when I've been single, anyway)!

Last edited by Locustman on 19 May 2010, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amber-Miasma
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2010, 9:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
Q- where do i go to forget my AS?
A- to sleep.

Ditto :lol:

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 9:47 am

I just go home. I don't have AS when I'm home alone.

idunnosmile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2010, 10:25 am

Completely alone. No knocks on the door, phone calls, or outside noises to pester me - those are the days I live for.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2010, 10:52 am

Hansie wrote:
I am expecting the answer to this question to be different for everybody. However, I am curious if other people can 'forget' their AS and what do they do or where do they go to do it?

I have a constant feeling reminding me of my AS with nearly everything I do but when I listen to heavy metal music the feeling goes away. When its loud and its heavy, it doesn't matter if its fast or slow, I can lose myself in the music and forget my AS for awhile. When I go to concerts or festivals I feel normal and I feel my best when I am being pinned up against the stage or being knocked around in the pit. After a good show I can be relaxed and happy for a week or more after the show.

Joking aside, I get the same feeling from the music I like (although I'm more into psychedelic and indie rock than metal). Gigs are usually the one area of my life where I've never felt like a fish out of water - although I tend to stand a little way back from the front as, being 39, I'm too long in the tooth to be moshing.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2010, 10:54 am

The way I feel and think and act (believing what I have is AS or AS-related) is ALWAYS with me...even when I'm alone. But I make the best of it now rather than wondering what's wrong.

A woman I know once said in a Twelve Step meeting that when you have feelings and things going on that you can't identify...give it a name. Doing that (for myself here) has given me a comfort level with self that I never had before.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 10:58 am

I don't think about having AS. It doesn't worry me, I don't try to escape from it or anything.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 11:07 am

The gym. Holding 200 pounds above the head improves the concentration and all the troubles of the world go away whilst I concentrate on the matter in hand.

Vanilla_Slice

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 11:36 am

Videogames, writing, driving.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/