Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 12:33 am

astaut wrote:
I like this cover of "I Will Survive"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596qaxm-u4o

I like. I was never terribly fond of the original version. This one's nice.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 12:45 am

Orchestral music is really old too, but it's great.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 1:02 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Orchestral music is really old too, but it's great.

Some guy was trying to be a snob and saying "there has been no good music in the last 100 years" so I was all "So Dukas sucks? (Dukas is now 100 years old but wasn't at the time) Khachaturian sucks? Sibelius? Debussy? Ravel? Stravinsky? Prokofiev?"

He didn't say anything in response. But it shut up his snobbery. LOL!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 2:52 am

Ferdinand wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I love older music.

Your Kinkdom.

You bet. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:29 am

FINALLY! somebody else mentions affection for old music!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:33 am

nick007 wrote:
My special interest rite now is comedy music

I LOVE Spike Jones & His City Slickers!!
And Tom Lehrer is just dreamy!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:55 am

I can see how Aspie independent thinking could allow us to keep loving music that's too passe for the dictates of fashion. I once had a (presumably NT) friend who was forever knocking all music that wasn't the current height of fashion, and he became a pain in the butt. Me, I was heavily into the Beatles' early albums when everybody else was bored with it and only wanted to hear their newer stuff (I'd just started buying records and wanted to get their early music first, to keep things systematic). I got a lot of flak for that, but I stuck to my guns. I will never hate a song just because some fashion slave says I should hate it. I think Aspies often find it easier to understand how fashion creates artificial obselescence to keep the consumers paying good money out just to replace stuff that has nothing wrong with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 4:13 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
nick007 wrote:
My special interest rite now is comedy music

I LOVE Spike Jones & His City Slickers!!And Tom Lehrer is just dreamy!

my sister, who is quite familiar with the periodic table of elements, loves tom lehrer's musical elements [sung to the tune of "i am the model of a modern major general", by gilbert & sullivan]. i thought the last 2 lines were cute:

"...now these are all the elements the news of which has come to harvard-
and there may be many others but they haven't been dis-covered."

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 4:28 am

No, we each have our own taste in music like everyone else on the planet.

Sol-IV
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2010, 7:15 am

I like music like that by Edvard Grieg and Camille Saint-Saëns, etc; but I'm not officially diagnosed with Aspergers so I don't know if my input is particularly valid here... :?

Though I don't really pay much attention to what's the latest music,
that may, as you've said, be why people with Aspergers may not necessarily like new music / prefer older music...
I.e. They may not feel inclined to keep with what is generally (socially) popular at the time? o.o

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2010, 7:23 am

One of my obsessions is the band The Cranberries, so I do listen to a lot of 90s music.

maxisunnygirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 5:29 am

I like all kinds of old music, (lot's of 1960's stuff for me) but there's something else that I'll bring up as well......

A lot of Aspies it seems like to watch old TV shows and films!! !! !

Everyone has their own reasons for doing this I'm sure, but it would seem that the reason why many of us like to look at old films from the 1930's (and the like) is due to the fact that they are more black and white than some of the more morden stuff. (i.e. the good guys always win in adventure stories and this seems to happen a lot in stuff from other genures as well)

In an Aspie world I think that a lot of morden movies (i.e. the ones where the bad guys win) would be banned, as we tend to only like happy endings.

Yes it is true that if you were poor in the 1930's life would be hell, but most films (and the like) did not admit that this world even exsited!

If you go back even futher (to the 1900's) you'll find that one of the most popuer childrens books was a book called Pollyanna read it (and the others as there were quite a few that followed) with led to kids (perticuerly girls) to try and be s upbeat as possible at all times!

(This has always been one of my faverate books and I still like to read it to this day, as has shaped my world view more than any other book bar the Bible, which may I add tells everyone to never lose hope many times.)

Sorry to go a little off topic but makes you wonder doesn't it?

Ta now.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:53 am

I love music from the 60's and 70's. I don't think it's AS related.

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 7:55 am

I love rap, and from what ive read online on forums I might be the only Aspie who loves rap lol.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:39 am

Quote:
is it an aspie trait to like old music

there is no such thing as "old music".
music is "discovered" and not "invented".

every song in the universe has always been in existence, and it is not until it is discovered that it can be heard.
music is a mathematical assembly of vibrations in a mathematical assembly of rhythmic inevitabilities, and the possibility for any song to have been "composed" (discovered) was a possibility at all points of time.

a song that was composed at a point of time may also have been composed at any other point of time and still be equally valid as a musical piece.

music is timeless in it's structure. tastes and fads come and go, and the types of musical discoveries that are found are usually influenced by the current social climate.
but every song that exists has always existed even though it may have only been discovered recently.

if you heard the song "boogie wonderland" (earth wind and fire) 15 minutes after the big bang (assuming you were protected and already a sentient being), then it would sound as valid as it does today ...13.5 billion years later.
if this song was played to your ears and brain that somehow evolved to the current state of evolution after 1 nanosecond from the big bang, it would sound the same to you as it would sound if you were born at the end of time that finished at the end of the song.

i am just using a random example here. every song is timeless.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAfjIAZQ_I&feature=search[/youtube]

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

I think there mite could be a connection between Aspies & comedy music. Lots of comedy artist are people who are kind of dorky & sing about very geeky things sometimes. I think lots of Aspies can identify with that more than some of the other types like rap for example. I hear those music research studies say that rap fans are people who tend to be very social; pop fans are people who are very happy & have energy; rock fans are angry & have low self-esteem; & country fans are people who are very comfortable in their lives. I haven't heard what any studies about the comedy music but a lot of em are underground popular & non-mainstream. They sing about comics, science-fiction, video-games, computers, & they also sing about how they have problems getting women & had problems fitting in. Sounds like common Aspie type stuff to me & I suspect that those artist could have a higher percentage of non NTs than lot of the other types of music

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 23 Aug 2010, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.