Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aspdaughter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2010, 9:58 pm

Probably a strange question but I am currently obsessed with finding correlations between people with aspergers and seemingly unrelated physical attributes or medical disorders. I so far have uncovered the lazy eye connection and wheat allergies and am searching for others. The dimple thing actually is rooted in the fact that the three aspies I know have them and also hearing somewhere that dimples are (while completely adorable) actually a deformity cause by muscle abnormalities, which I think is also a loose tie in with aspergers. Anybody have anything else to throw in there I would appreciate it. I am really new to all of this and I am feeling pretty blown away by it all. I was also wondering about thyroid conditions.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm

Don't the majority of people have dimples?

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:22 pm

aspdaughter wrote:
Probably a strange question but I am currently obsessed with finding correlations between people with aspergers and seemingly unrelated physical attributes or medical disorders. I so far have uncovered the lazy eye connection

I hadn't heard of the lazy eye connection.

Quote:
and wheat allergies

You mean gluten intolerance? There's a difference between intolerance and allergy and I hadn't heard about a wheat allergy connection but I have heard a lot about a gluten intolerance connection.

Quote:
and am searching for others. The dimple thing actually is rooted in the fact that the three aspies I know have them and also hearing somewhere that dimples are (while completely adorable) actually a deformity cause by muscle abnormalities, which I think is also a loose tie in with aspergers.

I don't know about dimples but EDS shows up more often in people on the spectrum, as do fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Also ... I forget the name of it ... something like hypotonic muscles? Anyway, lots of spectrum kids are "floppy" with an unusual muscle tone and get called lazy because they're always looking for some place to sit down and have a lot of trouble coordinating their muscles to do tasks or stiffening their legs up properly for someone to get boots on, etc.

Quote:
Anybody have anything else to throw in there I would appreciate it. I am really new to all of this and I am feeling pretty blown away by it all. I was also wondering about thyroid conditions.

I hadn't heard about thyroid conditions, but it wouldn't surprise me. I read a study once by a doctor who was looking for a type 2 diabetes / autism connection but his initial findings were inconclusive.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Steffy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm

i have a dimple in my chin. you can see it all the time, but it is more prominent when i smile.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:24 am

Ooooh dear.

I have very deep dimples and a lazy eye I had fixed with surgery. I may need another surgery soon.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:35 am

I have very deep dimples and I had amblyopia as a child, which is actually neurological and not muscular. I read that dimples are caused by a defect in the muscle wall.