Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 1:33 am

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I wanted to show this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaamq0E964[/youtube]

I posted here, because this is probably has the most user traffic. So, does anyone else get really touched and relate to this guy / his family? I know it's fictional, but it's kind of sweet?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 3:31 am

This one may be fictional, but it's a sad reflection of reality.

His mom looked so guilty--"why didn't I know? why didn't I do something?" She also looked angry--maybe at her son for giving up, maybe at herself, maybe at the bullies who drove him to do it.

There were times when I wanted to die while the worst of it was happening--just go to sleep and never wake up.

Take a look at this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE5yINOn4N4[/youtube]

These were all real people.

It's a sick society that allows this to continue. :cry:

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 3:46 am

That's so sad!

I've felt like dyeing too because of bullying. I am glad I didn't do anything bad though.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 8:38 am

This posting my sound cynical and callous but if you read carefully, there is a nugget of truth.

One of the biggest goals of public schooling is to turn people into willful dilegent, obedient employees who can be changed out like cogs. In fact, in the 19th century, the idea of teaching was called normalization and teachers colleges were called Normal Schools. These ideas were furthered by Carnegie, Rockefeller, and the other industrial giants of the early 20th century as well as educational experts like John Dewey.

If you look at the world today, especially the fact that most people are more worried about the car they drive and the cloths they wear than in what is going on in their government, you will realize that schools have succeeded. I did not know whether to laugh or cry today when CNN ran an article stating that President Obama's speech on Tuesday was at a 10th grade level and as such, probably went over most people's heads. So the truth of the matter is, the schools are functioning as designed.

So what happens when you get a product that is not working as to your specifications. Well, you either make it work the way you want it to or you throw it away. That is exactly what is happening in our schools. Bullying is being used as a way to force someone to change how they act to go along with the status quo. If the person being bullied kills themselves, well according to our school system, they were damaged products anyways so no great loss. In fact, only when the bullied person shots at the good products "read normal students here" is when there is alot of fuss and only because of the loss of good products rather than at the issues that cause the bad product to lash out.

I remember myself constantly being told that I was bullied because it was my fault and that I must change. Lucky I was stronger than the system that tried to change me (plus my mother was a good advocate).

So the fact is, regardless of the lip service paid to bullying in our schools (and that is what it really is), nothing will be done about it because they system is "working as designed" and as long as we keep this current one size fits all, everyone must be the same educational system that we have, nothing will be done about the problems discussed here.

For those wishing to know more about the above, I would suggest reading some of the works by John Taylor Gatto and his sources. If you want to see it from the school side of things, I would suggest John Dewey. I found his article on "Schools and Social Control" to be very interesting.

Again, I am sorry if I come across as cynical and callous. Sometimes the truth is that way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 8:51 am

I really feel lucky to be alive today, after watching that video. To think that I almost took my own life in high school, because of bullying.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 9:38 am

it is a spiritual and ethical failing for one human to discard another human, or [with malice aforethought] to make that other human feel discarded.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 2:17 pm

Demeus, your comments were very insightful. I read all about "Normal Schools" and the true purposes of compulsory schooling in one of my Criminal Justice classes called "Power, Discipline and Justice."

Besides Gatto and Dewey, Anthony Giddens, Emile Durkheim and Michel Foucault are also good sources about the topic of social control in general.

I also recommend this book: Power: A Radical View by Steven Lukes.

Sadly, the fact that your comments regarding "normalcy" and "damaged goods" rings so true means that people who do not fit will always have to endure being forced to conform by any means necessary. I'm glad you didn't let them break you--I also had a supportive mom who helped make sure that didn't happen to me.

Demeus wrote:
If you look at the world today, especially the fact that most people are more worried about the car they drive and the cloths they wear than in what is going on in their government, you will realize that schools have succeeded. I did not know whether to laugh or cry today when CNN ran an article stating that President Obama's speech on Tuesday was at a 10th grade level and as such, probably went over most people's heads. So the truth of the matter is, the schools are functioning as designed.

That is very frightening. I think that the old ways need to change or our society will not survive for long. (Ever see the movie "Idiocracy"?)

so that the people say,

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:24 pm

demeus wrote:
This posting my sound cynical and callous but if you read carefully, there is a nugget of truth.

One of the biggest goals of public schooling is to turn people into willful dilegent, obedient employees who can be changed out like cogs. In fact, in the 19th century, the idea of teaching was called normalization and teachers colleges were called Normal Schools. These ideas were furthered by Carnegie, Rockefeller, and the other industrial giants of the early 20th century as well as educational experts like John Dewey.

So what happens when you get a product that is not working as to your specifications. Well, you either make it work the way you want it to or you throw it away. That is exactly what is happening in our schools. Bullying is being used as a way to force someone to change how they act to go along with the status quo. If the person being bullied kills themselves, well according to our school system, they were damaged products anyways so no great loss. In fact, only when the bullied person shots at the good products "read normal students here" is when there is alot of fuss and only because of the loss of good products rather than at the issues that cause the bad product to lash out.

I remember myself constantly being told that I was bullied because it was my fault and that I must change. Lucky I was stronger than the system that tried to change me (plus my mother was a good advocate).

So the fact is, regardless of the lip service paid to bullying in our schools (and that is what it really is), nothing will be done about it because they system is "working as designed" and as long as we keep this current one size fits all, everyone must be the same educational system that we have, nothing will be done about the problems discussed here.

For those wishing to know more about the above, I would suggest reading some of the works by John Taylor Gatto and his sources. If you want to see it from the school side of things, I would suggest John Dewey. I found his article on "Schools and Social Control" to be very interesting.

Again, I am sorry if I come across as cynical and callous. Sometimes the truth is that way.

Funny you should mention that, because it all actually can be found in the Communist Manifesto.

In fact, around the turn of the century, there were a very popular series of books known as the Horatio Alger series, and the whole series talked about just getting a decent job, and having a nice life; not really going out of your way to really succeed or anything, just get the basics done...

whenever I hear that, I keep thinking of "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need..."

Yes, that's right...Communism was pretty much being promoted in my country even before the Bolshevik revolution in Russia. And the citizens of my country bought it hook, line, & sinker.

I wouldn't be saddened by this in any way though, if I were you....because this is actually nothing new. This is, I hate to say it, humans being humans.

Humans have always been known to put their emotions into judgment far before using reason; if you want proof, read up on Roman statesman & philosopher Cicero; he was saying the exact same thing over 2000 years ago.

I've even heard many times people threaten "oh my god; our country is heading into the direction of Nazi Germany!! !! !!"

My only response to this was "no it isn't..well, no more so than it already always was...."

Is there a glimmer of hope in all of this? Certainly, for us anyway; but it involves us not "drinking the Kool-Aid" which regrettably so many seem to:

the fact is we already know what's going to happen to people like us in their institutions; to expect anything else is nothing short of hilarious. Basically, you're trying to play a game with the rules made up by them. There has always been bullying and always will be...but to expect the teachers, family, and anyone else to come down on them and reprimand them for it is little more than laughable as the whole point of the system is to thin out those who are different in some way.

So, here're my tips for getting thru it:

1. If you absolutely, positively must go thru either public education or private education never for even 5 minutes should you start listening to those who say you're stupid, or to "expand your horizons" or anything like that; it's all a load of crap to get you to follow their system. However, while in this system, you will have to "tell them what they want to hear"; note that it's nothing more than propaganda, but they expect you to follow it, so just tell them what they want to hear to shut them up. And no, don't even suggest to others to question authority and try thinking for themselves; that isn't the point of their system; if they did think this way, history would be far different, and would be honestly told and taught, rather than revised with lies, myths, urban legends, and more "plot holes" than the Star Wars prequels. Society itself would also be very different, too, understandably.

Yes, I too went thru all of it and went thru utter hell for it; would I change a single thing about it? No...but take note I'm on here telling you folks not to drink the Kool-Aid and give in; I've been told I have inner strength that not a lot of others have; I can hope you all have it, but I won't lie and say you definitely do; so I'm offering you another way around it here.

2. If you can avoid what I mentioned in Part 1, try Home-Schooling, and hire a private tudor.

3. Can't afford it? Well, then this comes to my next point: use your talents and smarts from being Autistic to become financially successful; and I don't mean "middle class" or even "upper middle class"; no no, I mean "upper class". Now, you won't be able to do this as long as you keep drinking the Kool-Aid, but that's your choice; life is about choices, and you have to decide how your life is gonna be, and can't blame anyone else for it being that way.

4. We Autistic folks don't tend to be very good in institutions involving big classrooms and being lectured to; we seem to learn well by doing. So, do what you love, and learn about it in the process in whichever way best it is you do learn; that's how you'll be successful at what you do. Word of warning though: half the people you talk to for advice will usually not have very good advice for you, and you'll later wonder how they could honestly have been so brain-dead, but a lot of it is simply going thru the motions in the world of "experience"; it's something you'll have to find out on your own. By this point, you'll realize the majority are corrupt and incompetent, but you'll be so smart, you'll know how to work around it, so you won't care.

Need any other advice?

Last edited by TheDoctor82 on 17 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 10:10 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:

Funny you should mention that, because it all actually can be found in the Communist Manifesto.

In fact, around the turn of the century, there were a very popular series of books known as the Horatio Alger series, and the whole series talked about just getting a decent job, and having a nice life; not really going out of your way to really succeed or anything, just get the basics done...

I had to read one of those in the 10th grade--I believe it was called Ragged Dick.

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I wouldn't be saddened by this in any way though, if I were you....because this is actually nothing new. This is, I hate to say it, humans being humans.

Humans have always been known to put their emotions into judgement far before using reason; if you want proof, read up on Roman statesman & philosopher Cicero; he was saying the exact same thing over 2000 years ago.

I've even heard many times people threaten "oh my god; our country is heading into the direction of Nazi Germany!! !! !!"

My only response to this was "no it isn't..well, no more so than it already always was...."

Is there a glimmer of hope in all of this? Certainly, for us anyway; but it involves us not "drinking the Kool-Aid" which regrettably so many seem to...

Maybe it just seems easier that way. Not only learn how to conform, but learn how to like it. Aaggh.

TheDoctor82 wrote:
...the fact is we already know what's going to happen to people like us in their institutions; to expect anything else is nothing short of hilarious. Basically, you're trying to play a game with the rules made up by them. There has always been bullying and always will be...but to expect the teachers, family, and anyone else to come down on them and reprimand them for it is little more than laughable as the whole point of the system is to thin out those who are different in some way.

Exactly. My mom told me that one as early as 2nd grade when I was reprimanded for getting the right answer before anyone else. No, I'm not kidding. I talk about this more in another post. As for the bullying, by both other students and teachers (and another student's mother once--again, not kidding), that's also covered in another post. Thankfully, my mom went up against all of them on my behalf until I finally learned how to handle myself. She never "drank the Kool-Aid."

TheDoctor82 wrote:

1. If you absolutely, positively must go thru either public education or private education never for even 5 minutes should you start listening to those who say you're stupid, or to "expand your horizons" or anything like that; it's all a load of crap to get you to follow their system. However, while in this system, you will have to "tell them what they want to hear"; no that it's nothing more than propaganda, but they expect you to follow it, so just tell them what they want to hear to shut them up.

2. If you can avoid what I mentioned in Part 1, try Home-Schooling, and hire a private tudor.

3. Can't afford it? Well, then this comes to my next point: use your talents and smarts from being Autistic to become financially successful; and I don't mean "middle class" or even "upper middle class"; no no, I mean "upper class". Now, you won't be able to do this as long as you keep drinking the Kool-Aid, but that's your choice; life is about choices, and you have to decide how your life is gonna be, and can't blame anyone else for it being that way.

4. We Autistic folks don't tend to be very good in institutions involving big classrooms and being lectured to; we seem to learn well by doing. So, do what you love, and learn about it in the process in whichever way best it is you do learn; that's how you'll be successful at what you do. Word of warning though: half the people you talk to for advice will usually not have very good advice for you, and you'll later wonder how they could honestly have been so brain-dead, but a lot of it is simply going thru the motions in the world of "experience"; it's something you'll have to find out on your own. By this point, you'll realize the majority are corrupt and incompetent, but you'll be so smart, you'll know how to work around it, so you won't care.

Need any other advice?

I think that pretty much covers it. :)

If more of us think and act this way, eventually we'll be the ones in charge...and then maybe our society will have more than half a chance of survival.

so that the people say,

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 10:19 pm

conundrum wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

I had to read one of those in the 10th grade--I believe it was called Ragged Dick.

TheDoctor82 wrote:

Humans have always been known to put their emotions into judgement far before using reason; if you want proof, read up on Roman statesman & philosopher Cicero; he was saying the exact same thing over 2000 years ago.

Is there a glimmer of hope in all of this? Certainly, for us anyway; but it involves us not "drinking the Kool-Aid" which regrettably so many seem to...

Maybe it just seems easier that way. Not only learn how to conform, but learn how to like it. Aaggh.

TheDoctor82 wrote:
...the fact is we already know what's going to happen to people like us in their institutions; to expect anything else is nothing short of hilarious. Basically, you're trying to play a game with the rules made up by them. There has always been bullying and always will be...but to expect the teachers, family, and anyone else to come down on them and reprimand them for it is little more than laughable as the whole point of the system is to thin out those who are different in some way.

Exactly. My mom told me that one as early as 2nd grade when I was reprimanded for getting the right answer before anyone else. No, I'm not kidding. I talk about this more in another post. As for the bullying, by both other students and teachers (and another student's mother once--again, not kidding), that's also covered in another post. Thankfully, my mom went up against all of them on my behalf until I finally learned how to handle myself. She never "drank the Kool-Aid."

TheDoctor82 wrote:

1. If you absolutely, positively must go thru either public education or private education never for even 5 minutes should you start listening to those who say you're stupid, or to "expand your horizons" or anything like that; it's all a load of crap to get you to follow their system. However, while in this system, you will have to "tell them what they want to hear"; no that it's nothing more than propaganda, but they expect you to follow it, so just tell them what they want to hear to shut them up.

Need any other advice?

I think that pretty much covers it. :)

If more of us think and act this way, eventually we'll be the ones in charge...and then maybe our society will have more than half a chance of survival.

I actually did alter my post a little bit; I wanted to throw in a few more details and highlights where I think the emphasis would assist.

Conundrum, screw the society.

As Rorschach said it best in Watchmen: "The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I'll Look Down and Whisper, “No!”"

I will only assist in helping those who truly do want it, and I think are worthy of it; I've learned the majority in no way fall into that category....

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:

As Rorschach said it best in Watchmen: "The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I'll Look Down and Whisper, “No!”"

I will only assist in helping those who truly do want it, and I think are worthy of it; I've learned the majority in no way fall into that category....

Hmm...pity that that actually makes sense.

I guess I'll just have to be on the lookout for those few who do fall into that category.

so that the people say,

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm

conundrum wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

Hmm...pity that that actually makes sense.

I guess I'll just have to be on the lookout for those few who do fall into that category.

What is this "pity" you speak of? I pity no one; they're where they are cause of the choices they make. Those who truly do want it will be a cut above the rest, and will show that they have the potential to be "up there", as opposed to the rest. Explain this "pity" you speak of....

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:02 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:

What is this "pity" you speak of? I pity no one; they're where they are cause of the choices they make. Those who truly do want it will be a cut above the rest, and will show that they have the potential to be "up there", as opposed to the rest. Explain this "pity" you speak of....

I meant that it's a pity that this is the way the world is. It's a "pity" that most people will NOT be "a cut above the rest." It's a "pity" that most people make choices that screw up their lives. That does not mean I pity THEM per se--it's just that the state of the world in general is "pitiful."

so that the people say,

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:46 am

conundrum wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

I meant that it's a pity that this is the way the world is. It's a "pity" that most people will NOT be "a cut above the rest." It's a "pity" that most people make choices that screw up their lives. That does not mean I pity THEM per se--it's just that the state of the world in general is "pitiful."

well, to be fair...that's pretty much how it's always been; it only seems pitiful because we're used to believing something entirely different. We were always told "how much better everything used to be 'til everything went to hell"...but the truth is it was always like this.

Pitiful I suppose, but welcome to the pettiness that is humanity; look at the bright side though: you don't have to be part of the pitiful majority, you have the capability to be that "cut above the rest", and be extraordinary rather than just ordinary!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 6:56 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
well, to be fair...that's pretty much how it's always been; it only seems pitiful because we're used to believing something entirely different. We were always told "how much better everything used to be 'til everything went to hell"...but the truth is it was always like this.

Pitiful I suppose, but welcome to the pettiness that is humanity; look at the bright side though: you don't have to be part of the pitiful majority, you have the capability to be that "cut above the rest", and be extraordinary rather than just ordinary!

I know that's how it's always been. I guess I still want to have hope for "the pettiness that is humanity." :roll:

However, you're right. I do strive to be "extraordinary," and I am already well on my way.

I applaud your honesty, btw. You say stuff most people wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Hearing/reading that is refreshing.

so that the people say,

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 7:08 pm

conundrum wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

I know that's how it's always been. I guess I still want to have hope for "the pettiness that is humanity." :roll:

However, you're right. I do strive to be "extraordinary," and I am already well on my way.

I applaud your honesty, btw. You say stuff most people wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Hearing/reading that is refreshing.

Thank you; I don't believe in keeping quiet, even if it is stuff that would make the majority's head explode; I have no issue with rocking the boat...it just means that the boat wasn't built so stable to begin with.