do you find concentrating difficult ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have trouble concentrating (for extended periods)
yes 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
yes 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
no 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
no 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 64

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 9:23 pm

Do you have trouble concentrating ? Especially on something that you're not interested in? I find this when I am trying to study something I have no interest in.

Last edited by Space on 16 Apr 2006, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: Caught in the depths, and infinite vastness of cyberspace.

16 Apr 2006, 9:32 pm

Sometimes! Ha! I can barely concentrate on anything at all!

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2006, 9:56 pm

Constantly. I'm usually thinking about two or three different things at once, so that makes it particularly difficult to concentrate on one when I need to.

And god help me when it's something I'm just not interested in. Getting me to study a topic I hate is nigh on impossible, as my parents and most of my teachers and professors have discovered.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 10:00 pm

I can't even concerntrate on things I like. That's how bad I am.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 11:12 pm

I wouldn't if everybody wasn't always making so much damn noise. Honestly, I've been reading "American Gods," a (600 page) book since Christmas and I'm only on page 467! And I am very much enjoying it, finding it easy. Just finding it difficult to focus becuase of all the blasted noise/smells/itchiness/etc.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 1:00 am

I would say that I don't have trouble concentrating on things, because I can drift into a mental state of what could be called uber-concentration. I can get so engrossed on something, that even noise won't bother me as much as it would otherwise. If it's something that I'm not interested in, however, that's a different story. I end up constantly thinking about things that either interest me or bother me. Sometimes, if I can't figure something out, I tend to get so frustrated that I lose patience and concentration.

Some might say that having a mental state of uber-concentration is a good thing. That maybe true at times, but it also gets to me a lot of other times. I tend to be the type of person who can't stop thinking about something, at times going into a deep mental state that keeps me up at night. It tends to stress me out to some degree, since a lot of what I concentrate on isn't always pleasurable. It's also not always easy for me to sort my thoughts out, so when I do concentrate on something, I sometimes drift into other areas of my mind. This can at times be quite annoying. I can write so much, continuously thinking, that words sort of just flow out of my head like water.

- Ray M -

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:14 am

If I have to concentrate something I don't find interesting, I usually walk away from it like 5 minutes later to have a break. This becomes a problem when I have deadlines. I often end up having to work all night, because of my short attention span.
However, if I find something very interesting, and I'm not working under pressure, I can sit for hours on end reading about one single topic.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:42 am

Ditto!
Yes and no. If it is anything I am not interested in or hate like knitting I would definetely find concentration difficult. But if it is some that is in my favored field of interest I have no problem concentrating for extended periods.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2006, 6:45 am

if i find it intresting i can get the "uber-concentration" but if i donot find it intresting i have very little concetration. for example the Geography coursework i am doing right now.... well should be doing. very hard to concentrate on it.

jammie

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 7:23 am

yup. I should really start writing that essay of mine. Not possible.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 8:38 am

I am usually able to concentrate of my work at school, but I'm usually tempted to take a break between every 15-30 minutes at home. The only thing that bothers me in school are the chairs. They are welded to the desk for some stupid reason, so I have no space to spread my legs and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. In class, I usually shift a lot because of this discomfort and I try to reduce it so I don't look weird.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 8:53 am

I have trouble concentrating, especially when I am under pressure.

Hel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 6:10 pm

It tends to go one of two ways for me;I can either block out all outside distractions, or be intensely irritated by absolutely everything and everyone around me. (This was a real problem when I was younger, I couldn't read or do homework if my sister was making noise near me and it caused many family rows).
I think it may be related to tiredness or stress but I'm not exactly sure...

Energy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2006, 10:38 pm

Concentration has always been a huge problem for me, I find myself thinking in tangents all the time.. someone will say something or I'll see an object and somehow my thoughts go off on their own. At work I find it extremely difficult to concentrate on repetitive tasks, which most of my work has been :\

Thinking in tangents, flickering lights or constant noises can be so annoying I just cant get them out of my mind... I was lucky to have one understanding manager once back who accepted my eccentricities and got a new whole box of those flourescent light starters for me, so if there was a flickering light I could fix it rather than wait for building maintenance.

Even now, I had to stop to remember this post was originally about concentrating... ugh

Shelob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2006, 2:02 am

Same here. I seem to be unable to concentrate even if I'm doing something I really like. What is worse, the distraction comes from inside my own mind, so there is no use in going to a library or to some quiet place; I'll end up lost in my own thoughts. :roll: