do you find concentrating difficult ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have trouble concentrating (for extended periods)
yes 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
yes 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
no 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
no 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 64

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 9:23 pm

Do you have trouble concentrating ? Especially on something that you're not interested in? I find this when I am trying to study something I have no interest in.

Last edited by Space on 16 Apr 2006, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: Caught in the depths, and infinite vastness of cyberspace.

16 Apr 2006, 9:32 pm

Sometimes! Ha! I can barely concentrate on anything at all!

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2006, 9:56 pm

Constantly. I'm usually thinking about two or three different things at once, so that makes it particularly difficult to concentrate on one when I need to.

And god help me when it's something I'm just not interested in. Getting me to study a topic I hate is nigh on impossible, as my parents and most of my teachers and professors have discovered.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 10:00 pm

I can't even concerntrate on things I like. That's how bad I am.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 11:12 pm

I wouldn't if everybody wasn't always making so much damn noise. Honestly, I've been reading "American Gods," a (600 page) book since Christmas and I'm only on page 467! And I am very much enjoying it, finding it easy. Just finding it difficult to focus becuase of all the blasted noise/smells/itchiness/etc.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 1:00 am

I would say that I don't have trouble concentrating on things, because I can drift into a mental state of what could be called uber-concentration. I can get so engrossed on something, that even noise won't bother me as much as it would otherwise. If it's something that I'm not interested in, however, that's a different story. I end up constantly thinking about things that either interest me or bother me. Sometimes, if I can't figure something out, I tend to get so frustrated that I lose patience and concentration.

Some might say that having a mental state of uber-concentration is a good thing. That maybe true at times, but it also gets to me a lot of other times. I tend to be the type of person who can't stop thinking about something, at times going into a deep mental state that keeps me up at night. It tends to stress me out to some degree, since a lot of what I concentrate on isn't always pleasurable. It's also not always easy for me to sort my thoughts out, so when I do concentrate on something, I sometimes drift into other areas of my mind. This can at times be quite annoying. I can write so much, continuously thinking, that words sort of just flow out of my head like water.

- Ray M -

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:14 am

If I have to concentrate something I don't find interesting, I usually walk away from it like 5 minutes later to have a break. This becomes a problem when I have deadlines. I often end up having to work all night, because of my short attention span.
However, if I find something very interesting, and I'm not working under pressure, I can sit for hours on end reading about one single topic.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:42 am

Ditto!
Yes and no. If it is anything I am not interested in or hate like knitting I would definetely find concentration difficult. But if it is some that is in my favored field of interest I have no problem concentrating for extended periods.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2006, 6:45 am

if i find it intresting i can get the "uber-concentration" but if i donot find it intresting i have very little concetration. for example the Geography coursework i am doing right now.... well should be doing. very hard to concentrate on it.

jammie

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 7:23 am

yup. I should really start writing that essay of mine. Not possible.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 8:38 am

I am usually able to concentrate of my work at school, but I'm usually tempted to take a break between every 15-30 minutes at home. The only thing that bothers me in school are the chairs. They are welded to the desk for some stupid reason, so I have no space to spread my legs and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. In class, I usually shift a lot because of this discomfort and I try to reduce it so I don't look weird.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 8:53 am

I have trouble concentrating, especially when I am under pressure.

Hel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 6:10 pm

It tends to go one of two ways for me;I can either block out all outside distractions, or be intensely irritated by absolutely everything and everyone around me. (This was a real problem when I was younger, I couldn't read or do homework if my sister was making noise near me and it caused many family rows).
I think it may be related to tiredness or stress but I'm not exactly sure...

Energy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2006, 10:38 pm

Concentration has always been a huge problem for me, I find myself thinking in tangents all the time.. someone will say something or I'll see an object and somehow my thoughts go off on their own. At work I find it extremely difficult to concentrate on repetitive tasks, which most of my work has been :\

Thinking in tangents, flickering lights or constant noises can be so annoying I just cant get them out of my mind... I was lucky to have one understanding manager once back who accepted my eccentricities and got a new whole box of those flourescent light starters for me, so if there was a flickering light I could fix it rather than wait for building maintenance.

Even now, I had to stop to remember this post was originally about concentrating... ugh

Shelob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2006, 2:02 am

Same here. I seem to be unable to concentrate even if I'm doing something I really like. What is worse, the distraction comes from inside my own mind, so there is no use in going to a library or to some quiet place; I'll end up lost in my own thoughts. :roll:

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 2:56 am

I have that uber-concentration. Many times to an absolute fault. I will not see things that are inches away from the area I'm deeply focused on, or won't hear noises or people talking to me. I'm quite known for those lapses where I focus to a fault and don't eat or sleep or do anything normal for many hours/days.

Concentration is not a problem. Concentrating lightly is.

:> earthmom