Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 11:21 pm

...because there is a "weird" There are normal sets of behaviors, so then the opposite must be true.

I think there are different degrees obviously because it isn't that black and white. Some people can be a bit more quirky than others.

It really pisses me off though when regular people think of themselves as weird. By regular I mean they can socialize like anyone else, be somewhat popular, date, have a life.

Or when Im with some people and call someone else weird behind their back for some social faux they did, when in reality that person to is completely regular college dude, has a girlfriend, plays sports.

It really pisses me off when people make these generalizations about themselves or other people casually throwing out weird, when they dont realize how normal they are in comparison.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 11:29 pm

Normal comes from the word "Norm" as in, what most people are like. Normal very much exists and thats why we have anti minority bigots.

Black people in a white city is not the NORM and vice versa you see racism and reverse racism.
Red hair in a brown haired country is not the NORM.. I doubt red heads get picked on in Ireland any more than others.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 11:31 pm

I think some people think they are weird cuz others around them are just excessively normal. But compared to TRULY weird people they are not so odd.

People have always called me weird, even my own family members, but that's just cuz they are typical. I don't think I am so weird. I have met people who are REALLY out there.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm

lightening020, you seem like you want to own the term "weird" as if aspies are the only "weird" people, and the only form of "weirdness" that matters is in anti-social behavior.

There are a lot of different types of weird. They range from holding a cigarette wrong to socio and psychopaths.
If all those are weird, I hope you don't still say we're the weirdest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm proud to be "weird" and it's a label I would not give up. I would not want to be normal, it would kill me (with boredom)
To be fair honest though... if i were normal, I likely would want to stay normal... But then again, that's likely because I wouldn't know any better.

So, try not to get upset when someone calls someone weird. Firstly, it's more than likely jealousy causing the person to call them that. Even if it isn't, then that person likely does have some weird aspects to them. The person who said it just paid them a compliment in reality. Neither of them may ever know it, but they did.

Conformity is for NT's... And conformity includes a tendency not only to be like others, but to pick out why others are not conforming to the norm.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 11:56 pm

no no no.....im not claiming the word nor am I saying we are th weirdest.

Im saying that yes there is a normal to the people who beleive there is no such thing as normal.

also why is conformity confused with being dumb/ acting like a sheep? Maybe to some small extent thats true, but most people that I know from college or dont know who seem to be pretty normal have their own style, think for themselves, and aren't pushed around doing something just because someone told them to do it for no reason.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 12:40 am

From http://www.merriam-webster.com

Quote:

Main Entry: 1nor·mal
Pronunciation: \ˈnȯr-məl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin normalis, from norma
Date: circa 1696

1 : perpendicular; especially : perpendicular to a tangent at a point of tangency
2 a : according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
3 : occurring naturally <normal immunity>
4 a : of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b : free from mental disorder : sane
5 a of a solution : having a concentration of one gram equivalent of solute per liter b : containing neither basic hydroxyl nor acid hydrogen <normal silver phosphate> c : not associated <normal molecules> d : having a straight-chain structure <normal butyl alcohol>
6 of a subgroup : having the property that every coset produced by operating on the left by a given element is equal to the coset produced by operating on the right by the same element
7 : relating to, involving, or being a normal curve or normal distribution <normal approximation to the binomial distribution>
8 of a matrix : having the property of commutativity under multiplication by the transpose of the matrix each of whose elements is a conjugate complex number with respect to the corresponding element of the given matrix
synonyms see regular

— nor·mal·i·ty \nȯr-ˈma-lə-tē\ noun

— nor·mal·ly \ˈnȯr-mə-lē\ adverb

Also:

Quote:

Main Entry: 2weird
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

1 : of, relating to, or caused by witchcraft or the supernatural : magical
2 : of strange or extraordinary character : odd, fantastic

— weird·ly adverb

— weird·ness noun
synonyms weird, eerie, uncanny mean mysteriously strange or fantastic. weird may imply an unearthly or supernatural strangeness or it may stress queerness or oddness <weird creatures from another world>. eerie suggests an uneasy or fearful consciousness that mysterious and malign powers are at work <an eerie calm preceded the bombing raid>. uncanny implies disquieting strangeness or mysteriousness <an uncanny resemblance between total strangers>.

Do any of these definitions seem to be opposites? (No sarcasm, here, btw--I really want your opinions.)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

Yes, the one about conforming to a rule is opposite to the one about having extraordinary character.

NOT A DOCTOR

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 5:22 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Yes, the one about conforming to a rule is opposite to the one about having extraordinary character.

A sacrifice, that I'm just not willing to make.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 8:51 am

lightening020 wrote:
It really pisses me off though when regular people think of themselves as weird.

Why would this piss you off? Sure, your deviation from the statistical norm might be bigger than theirs, but so what? It's still a deviation from the norm.