Page 4 of 54 [ 861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next

Did you find the advice helpful?
yes 89%  89%  [ 529 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 594

adorable_yeti
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2010, 7:11 pm

13. When on a date, don't talk about your special subject too much, and always ask questions about what the other person did lately and compliment them on their appearance. Try to make eye contact, but don't stare. If you are a guy, girls prefer to have their hands held BEFORE the guy puts his arm round her.

___________________________________________________________________________________
LIVE LIFE LOUD :lol:

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:54 pm

Rule # 45.
If someone makes a comment about something and then immediately makes eye contact with several people in the room then they probably want you to agree with there comment or be supportive in some way.

I am not 100% that is correct but i have noticed it lately.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 1:25 am

Arminius wrote:
Ask people questions about themselves when you talk to them. It makes them feel like you are interested in their lives.

If you're asking a stranger, avoid questions that are too invasive or personal, until they signal or hint that it's OK. You can usually ask such questions with friends and people who trust you.

A Stranger doesn't yet know if they can trust you, and personal questioning can feel like an interrogation to them, putting them on the defensive. "Banter", meaning benign conversation and harmless questions, is useful with strangers, it makes you appear social but harmless and invites them to relax.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 2:35 am

eon wrote:
always say hello to people you see regularly, such as coworkers.
i've never done this, and just realized that you will appear unhappy if you do not.
even though i really hate doing it. it should be a rule.

I know this rule in my mind I can just never apply it. Im so horrible at greeting people, greeting people can be pretty complicated sometimes at least in my head. Shall I add...look excited when you say hello or it might come across as rude. Which is another thing I majorly have to work on.

Next rule: If someone you dont know/or dont know well tries to pick a fight with you online, delete them/block them whatever. They're unimportant people and its not worth fighting back...seriously. (just learned this one)

Mercutio_Jones
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2010, 9:28 am

huntedman wrote:
42. if someone asks what you think about the work they have done, they do not want to know what you think.

As far as I can tell they want:
a) comment about a feature of the work to show understanding
b) compliment their brilliance
c) pretend you don't understand a second part so they get to explain

best applied all together and in order

this is pretty spot on. I read something like this in a Dale Carnegie book. At the risk of sounding corny, I think reading that book about "How to Win Friends and Influence People" was one of the best things I did to learn to navigate through the NT world.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 1:01 pm

If a friend or family member wants to visit or stops by unannounced, but you want time alone, then very pleasantly and politely tell them so. It's even better if you plan another day with them, so that they know you aren't just pushing them away.

You will only make guests feel uncomfortable if you have them over or accept an invitation and you're feeling miserable about it.

xdr5tgb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2010, 12:17 pm

46. They asked for the truth? They can't handle the truth!

And aspies are the weak link in society that need genetic correction?! !

Narwhal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 4:46 pm

Rule #47:
Don't constantly correct people's butchering of the English language.

Rule #48:
Do not introduce yourself to someone as an Aspie. Wait until they ask.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:58 pm

49. Make sure you know how to finish your sentence before you start it.

50. Try to make eye contact briefly when talking, not just listening. Otherwise it can easily become a monologue.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

When playing boardgames or other games, let your opponent win once in a while. Otherwise they will stop playing with you, or accuse you of cheating.

AllieJoe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

eon wrote:
always say hello to people you see regularly, such as coworkers.
i've never done this, and just realized that you will appear unhappy if you do not.
even though i really hate doing it. it should be a rule.

I have an extremely hard time with this; I haven't figured out the gray area between respecting a superior by not engaging in conversation that is too familiar, and being friendly and interested in what is going on in their lives. It makes holding long-term positions awkward.

52. If you talk to someone, in addition to focusing on the give and take of the conversation, REMEMBER what you asked them and what they said they were up to, so that next time you can reconnect with them easily.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

Rule #53: If no one else is laughing, the situation is probably not funny so don't laugh.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

If you get caught talking, humming, or otherwise interacting with yourself, laugh lightly and tell them you were recalling something from the weekend. If they ask for the details, tell them it's an inside thing, and too long to explain. If they have ever heard you talk too long, this will be the perfect deterrent.

Narwhal

22 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm

Rule # 54 - Do not try to imitate the fashion styles of NTs. You will fail.

Narwhal

22 Jul 2010, 10:57 pm

Rule # 55 - NTs don't appreciate it when you constantly correct their grammatical errors. It is also rule number 48, but it is repeated because it is extra important.

Rule # 56 - Do not use obscure words when referring to simple things such as directions or when responding to "How are you?"

Narwhal

22 Jul 2010, 10:57 pm

Rule # 57 - Do not ignore a question just because you do not like either the question or the phrasing, such as when a person asks one "'Sup?" when they are asking how one is doing.

Rule # 58 - Do not run from police officers because you want to avoid social interaction.