Page 6 of 54 [ 862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 54  Next

Did you find the advice helpful?
yes 89%  89%  [ 533 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 598

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

88. Don't call your friends at work every time you have a random thought. :x

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:45 am

Aimless wrote:
88. Don't call your friends at work every time you have a random thought. :x

89: The Spanish Inquisition

90: Aimless, what is your phone number :wink: :arrow:

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 9:40 am

91: no matter how much you want a hug, don't ask whoever it is for one - especially if they don't know you that well. (unless you're both drunk)

92: don't get close to me and i won't get close to you.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Eeyore303
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2010, 4:15 pm

93. If you meet someone once, e.g. have a meeting at work with them - after a week, don't smile and say hello to them everytime you pass them. After the week is up, glance at them as they pass and if they smile, smile back, if they don't, then you don't even need to glance at them in future.

I learned this after smiling/saying hello to people for months after having a meeting with them, and then overheard a conversation where other people were saying they hated this.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

ladyrain wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
For the record, trust is the capital of the NT world. Sure, there are the dog eat dog types out there (avoid as much as possible), but they are outnumbered by those who trade in trust. You can't marry without trust, and you can't be truly happy without trust. Rule number 2 may keep you from getting hurt, but it will also keep you from truly living. Still, I can see how it becomes a defensive reaction for someone who can't tell who is worth trusting and who isn't, and who has been hurt by making the wrong assumptions. NT's have a system for it that AS have a more difficult time learning.

That would be a rule book worth having!

If I could figure out a way to the write a rule system for making that call, I would. I can't say I know how I make that call; I'm OK at it, although others are better.

One unfortunate standard NT's have long used, and that you all know about by now: eye contact. Willingness to make appropriate eye contact indicating trustworthiness; avoidance indicating not. We all know here how fallible THAT one is.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 1:55 am

Aimless wrote:
78. When trying to get a problem fixed or trying to make a point with someone you disagree with, don't insult them or put them on the defensive. They can't or won't listen to you anymore after that.

I'm guilty of that. I really have to work on it. I even do it to my own husband and friends.

94. When people ask you a question, give them a detailed answer, not a direct answer. People want to hear details.

95. When someone asks do they look fat in their dress, you are supposed to say no even if they do look fat in it.

96. When a woman asks if you think she is fat, you're supposed to say no even if you think she is.

Some I made up:

97. Do not ask questions you are not willing to answer yourself.

98. Do not go touching people's bellies just to see if it's a belly or if they are pregnant.

99. Do not go asking someone questions about themselves and then ignoring what they ask you about yourself.

100. Do not talk about what you want to talk about only and then not listen to what other people want to talk about.

101. Don't touch strangers

102. Ask the pregnant woman first before feeling her belly

Okay back to the ones I didn't make up:

103. Ask before you touch someone's baby.

104. Ask before you pet someone's dog.

105. Ask before you borrow something.

106. When someone asks you "How are you?" You're supposed to say "fine" or "good" and not tell them about your gloomy day or your bad feelings.

107. When you're talking, look at the person every few minutes to see if they are looking at you. If they're not, then that means they are bored and not interested what you are saying.

108. Always stand an arm length away from people unless you're on a crowded bus or train or elevator.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:39 am

109 when out on a date you do not have to do what your date tells you
110 even if your date is a significant other you do not have to give them money if they tell you to
111 do not give your significant other access to your birth certificate, social security number, other ID...

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2010, 10:02 pm

I learned this week ... 112 - Don't tell people as a head's up/disclaimer that you are likely to be very different, or elaborate on why and how you're likely to be very different. This makes people uncomfortable because you're not like them, and being different on the very basic things of life freaks people out, especially if you outrightly tell them and they don't just observe it for themselves.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:12 pm

113. If you for some reason need a favor, skip an appointment, anything that really would not need an explanation, offer one. Even if it doesn't have anything to do with anything. People feel like they are in control if they know your reasons. Then they will help you. Otherwise doubtful.

MisterYihang
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

114. Only call 911 in emergencys, not if the toiletpaper is missing.

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

Hermier wrote:

35. Never ever ask someone if she is pregnant.

Especially to a man! :P

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2010, 11:53 am

115. Don't talk too much about yourself. Don't say intimate things to strangers.

116. Never ever undress people with your eyes or look at their thighs, genitals, buttocks, breasts or belly.

117. Don't talk about taboo subjects in public such as politics, religion, hygiene, sexuality, nudity, etc.

118. Don't touch your underwear in public.

119. Don't talk too loud.

120. If someone sighs of exasperation when you're talking or just ignore you, leave the person alone.

121. If someone starts insulting you, just go away. You deserve better.

122. Obey to your superior at work.

123. Don't touch someone unless she/he is your significant other.

124. Don't talk in someone's back. You never know when the person will come to learn it.

125. Learn to apologize to others and to yourself.

126. If someone is telling you something twice or more in a row, she/he means something important.

127. Don't be shy telling people you have Asperger's Syndrom so you don't understand social rules.

Lancebergy
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2010, 3:22 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
18. When a store clerk asks how you are, he does not want your life story, "same sh*t, different day" will relate to him and he will give you a little chuckle.

(source, myself, convenience store clerk)

I have a problem with this one thanks LOL!! !! From now on I will do this just showed my mom and she laughed.

Lancebergy
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2010, 3:26 pm

gnomederwear wrote:
77. Always take a notepad with you if you are having a face-to-face with a client and have eye contact issues. Appearing to take notes gives you a good excuse to look away while listening. (I have problems processing info and looking at someone while they are talking. NTs tend to think that if you're not looking at them, you're not paying attention. Appearing to be taking notes on what they're saying resolves issues for both sides).

When I tried to be a sales man this helped alot but I gave it up because people are just too cheap here in Wyoming and selling security cameras to a guy that has a gun is kind of pointless if you know what I mean!

CodyT
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2010, 3:29 pm

128. If someone is giving you advice, say things like "I'll do that" or "that's a good idea" or even "You know, I hadn't thought of that". Even if you have no intention of taking that person's advice, it never hurts to make them feel like you're listening and that you respect their experience.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:12 pm

129: If your mom or some other authority says "Please do this." or "Would you like to do this?", it actually means "Do this. That's an order".