Did you find the advice helpful?
yes 89%  89%  [ 529 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 594

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 3:28 pm

22. Fake confidence until you feel it. Acting overly reticent/shy just pisses people off, even though that may be what you're worried about doing in the first place. (still working on that one...)

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2010, 3:31 pm

29. If someone says "Nature is calling" and starts to leave. Don't say back "can I come with you, I want to play with you"

(As they are refering to that they are going to the toilet, not about that they are wanting to go and play with Nature as i thought it meant. I only learnt that one the other week).

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2010, 6:06 pm

30. Try to keep pacing to a minimum around others if you do it. You may be thinking, but it makes people nervous.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

31) Never just bluntly call a person fat especially if there female. If you take concern for there weight come at it from a more tactful approach such as taking concern for there health.

32) If your with a group of people, try to at least look engaged through body language in the conversation even if your bored. This might be hard for a lot of us but do the best you can. Its better then looking aloof or withdrawn.

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2010, 8:32 pm

34. People generally don't want to be corrected.

35. Never ever ask someone if she is pregnant.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2010, 1:45 am

always say hello to people you see regularly, such as coworkers.
i've never done this, and just realized that you will appear unhappy if you do not.
even though i really hate doing it. it should be a rule.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

Excellent thread1 I'm sure I have some to contribute..

Kiseki wrote:
Haha! I like this thread. I've broken every single one of these rules.

Here's another:

14. When your teacher spells something incorrectly on the blackboard don't call her out on it.

I used to get in trouble for this all the time. I still did it because I reckoned it wasn't fair to everyone if I didn't point out mistakes and they "learned" them and put them down in a test...Everyone just hated me though anyways.

Quote:
You should try to wear clothing that is as appropriate for the weather as possible. (For instance, don't wear trench coats in August; wear longer pants in January.)

I have such a hard time doing that. Very high metabolism..I overheat in what most people would call cold weather, let alone the summer...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 7:42 pm

37. If someone is in the middle of a story, let them finish it. Don't interrupt them.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 9:48 pm

38. If something is bothering you, don't hide it until it gets to the point where it becomes so stressful, find somebody who you trust i.e, your parents or a friend or a relative or go get some advice to release that frustration the calming way.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

superboyian wrote:
38. If something is bothering you, don't hide it until it gets to the point where it becomes so stressful, find somebody who you trust i.e, your parents or a friend or a relative or go get some advice to release that frustration the calming way.

super advice :wink:

Gotholympians
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2010, 12:53 am

39. Normal people can't actually multi-task or think objectively, no matter how often they claim they can. Bear that in mind when contemplating their bizarre behavior; many times their emotions (the main one is PRIDE or EGO) are overriding their reasoning capabilities. React accordingly.

*By "accordingly", I mean assuage their egos. Say something like, "We both know your way is the best, but what if...?" and then finish your sentence with your idea. It doesn't work all the time, but it works enough of the time for my purposes.

seaside wrote:
24. Trying to make a funny based on something that you saw be successful for someone else or in another situation may not work. You may not be able to gauge if it will fall flat or offend.

I know this one, know it deep in my bones. Yet I make this mistake at least twice a week. WTF?
Angnix wrote:
3. How are you isn't literal, you are suppose to say "fine" then "How are you?" back.

I'm still learning this one :lol:

This rule should be number 1. It certainly is the hardest to learn, yet you encounter it so darn often.

ShamelessGit wrote:
28. At all times, pretend like you know what you are doing. Other people are predisposed to believe you.

This is good advice for everyone. The pithy version is "Fake it 'til you make it!" It works! Although it's hard to keep up all the time...

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 10:10 pm

39. If you have guests at your home, don't leave them to entertain themselves. Stay with them until everyone leaves...Taking off to a room by yourself is not an option.

Edit: I just realized how ironic this thread is.

Solitaire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2010, 12:42 pm

#40. If you have a facebook page, and you want to add something to somebody else's thread on their page, be careful! What you think is funny or clever may have the NTs in a tizzy over it. This JUST happened to me last week. I still don't understand my error, even though I got a thorough trouncing online for it. You would have thought that I was announcing myself as the gunman that was on the grassy knoll. Bottom line: NT social pages should be treated as their game with their rules, which are unwritten. Give them their standard language congratulatory, conciliatory, or otherwise mundane replies if necessary, and save the fun and interesting posts for the aspie community.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2010, 5:31 pm

Solitaire wrote:
#40. If you have a facebook page, and you want to add something to somebody else's thread on their page, be careful! What you think is funny or clever may have the NTs in a tizzy over it. This JUST happened to me last week. I still don't understand my error, even though I got a thorough trouncing online for it. You would have thought that I was announcing myself as the gunman that was on the grassy knoll. Bottom line: NT social pages should be treated as their game with their rules, which are unwritten. Give them their standard language congratulatory, conciliatory, or otherwise mundane replies if necessary, and save the fun and interesting posts for the aspie community.

What happened?

41. Make sure that you're not so much inside your own head that you accidently blurt out part of a mental conversation, or trip from missing a step.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2010, 9:59 pm

42. if someone asks what you think about the work they have done, they do not want to know what you think.

As far as I can tell they want:
a) comment about a feature of the work to show understanding
b) compliment their brilliance
c) pretend you don't understand a second part so they get to explain

best applied all together and in order

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 1:03 pm

43. Remember that when you explain something in written form, someone besides yourself has to understand it. Avoid using phrases that only you may grasp the meaning of.