Total votes : 89

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:47 pm

the_limpet wrote:
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!"

Roy Batty

Yes, for some reason, I was unable to agree to donating my eyes. This was, of course, completely irrational and selfish, but I couldn't help it. I just found the idea of someone prying them out of my skull or cutting them open just after I die too grotesque - even though I know the donation would benefit someone else. Internal organs are just mechanical parts that are necessary to keep you going - your eye, your face - they're bound up in your identity too much, I just couldn't stand them being disposed of in any other way than being cleanly destroyed, not mutilated first. I wonder if I would change my mind on this subject, however, if I need a cornea transplant later in life...

:)
ive always had problems with my eyes and its made me abit squeamish about them, in a protective kinda way. its kind of paradoxical though, because at the same time id love to be able to help someone to save their vision or something- because i know how much it means. but i just cant bring myself to tick the eyes box:/

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 4:54 pm

After I die, they can recycle as much of me as they want and then torch the rest.
As long as most of me ends up as dust on the wind.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 4:55 am

Not yet, but I intend to join. When I die my body will be useless to me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2010, 5:36 am

Have been since I was able to join and would give blood as well if I was allowed

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 12:01 pm

Call me a sinister, selfish person but there's no way I'm letting my devil genes spread.

industrialx
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2010, 2:11 pm

I'm on the organ donor register, I donate blood and have donated platelets in the past, and I'm also on the Anthony Nolan register. Basically, there're a few things I don't need while I'm alive, and I sure as hell ain't gonna need 'em when I'm dead.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 2:36 pm

No.
It is possible that I would sign up if certain information was available and satisfactory.
*How are recipients chosen?*

Since becoming disgusted with the disorder and disarray experienced (a few times) at the blood donor clinics in my area, I have also stopped giving blood.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

I wouldn't donate anything, and I wouldn't take a donation, either; would my heart or liver be about to fail, I'd simply accept the fact that I would die. Same if I'd need blood - I don't want someone else's blood in my system. While it'd be sad if I had my one and only girl, I want to join in death with that future girl, anyway, and being my true love, she'd naturally agree with me on that... so in such an event, both of us would die, anyway. Needless to say, same if she'd be the one with faulty organs, although that makes me a bit sad to think about. :B Although I could donate a part of my liver or a kidney to her, then, or blood if she'd need it, as I have blood type O. Easier when I'd be the factor to the problem, though, but maybe I could take donations from her, in such an event. Sharing your organs would just be terribly romantic, really. :) Anyway, it's spiritually wrong to shift my organs to someone else except my fated girl, or vice versa, and it's even so that memory from a person's personality is able to follow with into the one getting the donation - at least when it's about the heart - it's even been studied; the brain of the heart, it tends to be called. However, honestly, if an object like a watch or whatever can hold memory of passed away people, then shouldn't body parts other than the heart (and brain) be able to do it, as well? There's not a chance that I'd ever donate anything - even blood. It just goes against my strong spiritual views in that regard. I just want my body cremated so it's gone and nothing eats it up, either. Although I suppose getting fossilated would be pretty neat, but that's kind of unrealistic to hope for...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 8:43 pm

No because if you sign up to be an organ donner, they can use your body for expirments as well.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 7:44 pm

I registered today to be an organ donor. I don't care which ones they take - whatever they must do to prolong the life of somebody else. I suppose that it will give me a sense of closure for when my death approaches. Plus, by doing this, I feel that when I die, a part of me will continue to live on.

One regret I have, though, is that I'll never be able to know who received my organs and how it has improved their life.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

I've heard of doctors being a little quicker to say people are in a "persistent vegetative state" because they want organs. Would YOU want to give them any more incentive to kill you?

(Moot point since I don't intend to die in or near a hospital anyway.)

NOT A DOCTOR

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I've heard of doctors being a little quicker to say people are in a "persistent vegetative state" because they want organs. Would YOU want to give them any more incentive to kill you?

Half true. They harvest some organs sooner, but even so, the person has to be brainstem dead first.

It's still enough to put me off as well though. I feel selfish, and it is a bit illogical since I don't want to be in a coma anyway. It's the thought of being reduced to the usefulness of my body parts rather than a person that gets to me. The brain, the bit that makes me me, is considered just a waste of space. Even in a morgue it's different; people are still treated as people (if slightly cold and hard of hearing...)

I always found the description 'organ harvesting' very dehuminizing...

Also, you have no say over who gets your bits. The hell I'd want my liver going to some alcoholic footballer who's just going to f it up again...

That said, I've always meant to get round to giving blood. I have no problem with that.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 11:46 pm

I wouldn't feel bad at all about my liver going to an alcoholic. I'd be glad to know I could save any life that way. I would just feel bad about my liver going to an alcoholic while I still have a use for it. I mean, if it wouldn't put my life at risk, I would feel fine with the thought that someone could have any part of me. Any part-- eyes, face, liver, kidneys, heart-- but I AM STILL USING THEM. I do not want someone to be just that little bit quicker to say I'm as good as dead. Even if it's just a little. Even if it's unconscious.

Not that it matters much, since even if my life is in danger I'm never checking into a hospital. Ever. Period. So they'd never get to my body in time.

NOT A DOCTOR

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm

Not an organ donor.
To me donating my organs when I'm dead is no different to donating my organs when I'm alive...only without the ability to consent.

My beliefs on the afterlife come from the idea we live on after death as long as we remain in this world - achieved through memory of us living on through family/friends, and physical both in keeping your body preserved and in things such as post mortem photography. If my organs went to someone else they'd live on, but they'd not be part of me and my body would be lacking. That really creeps me out.

...I have no shame in saying I would be happy to take an organ if I needed it - it's selfish, but then that's part of survival, at the end of the day it's my body and my [after] life I'm trying to preserve, which is as important to me as preserving my life while living. I don't like that I get flack for that, it makes no sense to me to scorn the idea of not wanting your body taken apart, but hell those who are willing to sacrifice parts of their body for others should be commended.

I'm into encouraging others to donate their organs - and blood, when my mother was told she could no longer donate blood she was so upset so I swore to take her place when I was old enough, but then found I was unable to donate blood so I try to get enough people to donate blood to make up for my lacking...same with organs. There are enough people willing to donate their organs so that all these people sitting on waiting lists don't have to die, I find it absolutely disgraceful that in the UK we're still opt-in - it makes no sense what-so-ever, people like me who feel strongly about it are more likely to opt-out, that those who aren't fussed either way are to opt-in.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 12:07 am

I find the idea of it gross, for me anyway.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 12:55 am

I've been an organ donor since I was 16, everyone in my family is a donor aswell... it's not like I'm going to need them after I'm dead.

Why would you want to do something that takes nothing on your part and could save peoples lives?