Page 11 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm

Apparently you can't diagnose yourself. Even though you have known yourself for your whole life.

But you can diagnose celebrities from watching 2 minutes of TV.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 7:38 am

redwulf25_ci wrote:
another_1 wrote:
Question for Willard (et al) . . .

I've noticed that, whenever the issue of self-diagnosis comes up, you make it clear (as you do in the post quoted below) that you hold the opinion that anyone who doesn't feel the need for a formal diagnosis must not have any real issues.

I do not claim to be able to make a formal diagnosis, but I can say with certainty that Asperger's is by far the best explanation I've found for the collection of issues I have. While I am investigating the ramifications a diagnosis would have, I expect that the state will take the position that, if I've managed to muddle through to the ripe old age of 49 without their assistance, there's no need for me to have it now.

Exactly. As a mater of fact since I'm fed up with the attitude after a post in another forum brought up Aspergers self diagnosis in a thread completely unrelated to the topic I'm going to ask those who have a problem with my self diagnosis to put their money where their mouth is.

If you're so upset about my lack of an official diagnosis then I will get one if you pay for it or arrange for me to get one without paying out of my own pocket. Lack of funds is after all one of the reasons I'm not seeking one. Another reason is that the prospect of discussing anything at all, let alone deeply personal matters, with a total stranger fills me with dread but if you hold up your end I'll suck it up and deal. Other than shutting up the people who are upset with my self diagnosis I don't think it'll do much good though, we barely have programs and resources to deal with severely effected children let alone 33 year old men who can pass if they try hard enough (no matter how much it costs them to do so).

Excellent post. This 40-something woman who tries hard enough to pass every day at great cost and didn't get an "official" diagnosis until needing the services of a psychologist for other reasons is in total agreement.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:08 am

MrXxx wrote:
Cuddy's got her head in the sand. He's a narcissistic Aspie on Vicodin.

Whoah! 8O

OT But: He's a sociopath on vicodin. Seriously, stop believing things because you think they are right, and go pick up a copy of DSM-IV or ICD-10 and do your homework.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:29 am

Ichinin wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Whoah! 8O

OT But: He's a sociopath on vicodin. Seriously, stop believing things because you think they are right, and go pick up a copy of DSM-IV or ICD-10 and do your homework.

He's not a sociopath.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Whoah! 8O

He's not a sociopath.

Do what i told MrXxx to do. He is NOT an aspie nor does he fit the criteria. He do fit the criteria for ASPD.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:03 pm

Ichinin wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Whoah! 8O

He's not a sociopath.

Do what i told MrXxx to do. He is NOT an aspie nor does he fit the criteria. He do fit the criteria for ASPD.

I don't think he's an Aspie, either. He's just a jerk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

Who are we talking about?

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2010, 12:11 pm

oh god, another one of these topics? is this a 'perma-troll topic'?

can't we bash NTs instead of trying to establish an elitism among aspies?

I have to say, these topics have about killed this site for me.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Who are we talking about?

House

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm

One thing that comes up in these threads that I dislike is the attitude that, if you have autism/asperer's bad enough to merit a diagnosis, then you need professional help. I dislike that idea that there's only one way to get help for autism. It is possible that someone who really does need help is getting help in other ways not involving the medical profession, and not involving government assistance. There's not one right way to get help.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:31 pm

Wuffles wrote:

Learn this one truth: There is nothing that any socio-economic group, ethnic minority, suspect class, etc., enjoys more than to search out those among themselves to single out for discrimination. It's like a parlor game.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2010, 2:57 pm

Mysty wrote:
One thing that comes up in these threads that I dislike is the attitude that, if you have autism/asperer's bad enough to merit a diagnosis, then you need professional help. I dislike that idea that there's only one way to get help for autism. It is possible that someone who really does need help is getting help in other ways not involving the medical profession, and not involving government assistance. There's not one right way to get help.

I have to agree.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:57 pm

Mysty wrote:

I've had this attitude thrown at me with ADHD, too...that if it's bad enough to seek help, then I NEED to be on medication or I'm not "cured." Sorry, but screw that! If others want to do that, fine, but I have no patience for those who want to cram a pill down my throat, because there ARE other methods out there.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:02 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Mysty wrote:

I've had this attitude thrown at me with ADHD, too...that if it's bad enough to seek help, then I NEED to be on medication or I'm not "cured." Sorry, but screw that! If others want to do that, fine, but I have no patience for those who want to cram a pill down my throat, because there ARE other methods out there.

So true! I haven't been on any meds for my ADD or Bipolar since I turned 18. I'm managing pretty well with diet and exercise.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:35 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Wuffles wrote:

Learn this one truth: There is nothing that any socio-economic group, ethnic minority, suspect class, etc., enjoys more than to search out those among themselves to single out for discrimination. It's like a parlor game.

Sort of. Closer to we all live in a society and absorb the negative stereotypes others hold against us. Then some of us cope with this by distancing themselves from the stereotype rather thn refuting it because they believe this will get them a larger share of the crumbs we are thrown. So it usually originates from outside the group and benefits them as they don't have to work so hard to keep us in our place if we help them do it for them.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:06 pm

wuffles wrote:

i'm not going to encourage the NT bashing idea, but otherwise, agreed.

deliberate exclusion / elitism, whatever the reason, creating a toxic environment here .. much like the rest of the world. alienating the alienated.