Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 2:29 am

Yes. I once had a dream where I was attending a feild trip to South Africa to see the meerkats with other AS people but one by one they changed and became NT, I was the only one who stayed autistic. Eventualy I meet up with the main characters of Titan A.E., two of whom (the others were animals or aliens if they were even in the dream) announced they had AS as well and it is a very cool thing to have.

In all my dreams I am autistic and most of the time I am famous and admired for it. I'm a famous meerkat expert veternarian but I treat other animals as well and often am the only one who can figure out what is wrong with them, let alone get close enough to them to treat them. My dreams always have elements that repeat themselves.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 4:22 am

I dream that there are lots of people around me but I dont recognise most of them. Nonetheless I am always talking to them and they sort of shift like a kaleidoscope. i also dream that i a constantly travelling, and staying in hostels, though sometimes my dreams take place where i am living, or at my parents house. Last night, I dreamt it was dusky, getting towards dark, and there was snow all over the ground. Last week I had a dream I was in this courtyard and it started snowing. So, lots of snow dreams lately.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 4:24 am

RainSong wrote:
I'm no better socially in my dreams than when I'm awake, but everyone else is worse. Apparently, my subconscious feels an appropriate way to deal with it is just lower everyone else to my level.

That sounds like it would be funny :lol:

Taking a break.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 4:34 am

There's always a multitude of people in my dreams, but they usually end up dying because I can't communicate to them verbally how to survive.

That's pretty much how most of my dreams go like (first person ones).

I often have "giant monster" dreams, where I'm watching a city get destroyed from a god perspective. These are my more "irrational" and "unreal" ones.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:22 am

All I remember of my dreams is scenery and events, the visual things. I can't remember words said or interactions if I'm interacting in them at all.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:44 am

I find the majority of my dreams I'm not autistic though, most of the persons in such a realm are as well, I notice that I my dreams I'm constantly struggling with the realistic troubles I have in my own life but, on a more profound level..

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 6:45 am

I'm autistic in my dreams, but I also find myself having a lot of conversations, with a all types of people, but like in a black and white movie.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:34 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
RainSong wrote:
I'm no better socially in my dreams than when I'm awake, but everyone else is worse. Apparently, my subconscious feels an appropriate way to deal with it is just lower everyone else to my level.

That sounds like it would be funny :lol:

It seems perfectly natural when it's happening. Honestly, my dreams are so weird anyway that that's one of the more normal aspects; I don't question it much, even after I wake up.

Three years!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 4:04 pm

A Beautiful Dream topic

The next time I remember a dream I will autie-lyze it. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 2:49 am

Virtually do not dream within the realm of human contact, but your question is provocative. In fact, yes.

To rationalize why, or putatively why, I suppose because I cannot know differently. When I dream/sleep I cannot know the difference between asleep and "real;" dreams are reality. Until I wake-up and then I am aware, sort-of. Then, when I am awake I can be quasi-asleep, I think.

As I understand, one interpretation of Autism is that we are in a permanent hynogogic state and I must concur. I'm certain we've all heard another (NT) say to us, in effect, "You seem so far away, where are you?" Well, NT, that's because I AM FAR AWAY. I'm inside my own mind and in deep thought. And this is akin to being asleep/dreaming.

To confide, I can do some of my best work (!) whilst half-asleep/half-awake and this is a vital way of being for me. I'd not have it otherwise.

< "autie-lyze it" - by our sartresue 8) LOVE that, thank you! >

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:49 am

My dreams usually don't make much sense other than something always making me very upset or angry or anxious. I also rarely am socializing in my dreams.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt131687.html

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:07 am

I am not always in my dreams, but when I am; I am myself. I do notice though, I tend to look at people more directly. Perhaps not more frequently, but for longer bouts. I don't do that during lucid dreaming though.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 11:40 am

I'm usually alone in my dreams. When other people do show up, they usually make cameo appearances and/or just fade into the background. Since other people tend to either be passive parts of the background or entirely non existant, and there is no unneccessary socialization in my dreams, I would imagine that I am still autistic in my dreams.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 3:11 pm

LabPet wrote:
Virtually do not dream within the realm of human contact, but your question is provocative. In fact, yes.

To rationalize why, or putatively why, I suppose because I cannot know differently. When I dream/sleep I cannot know the difference between asleep and "real;" dreams are reality. Until I wake-up and then I am aware, sort-of. Then, when I am awake I can be quasi-asleep, I think.

As I understand, one interpretation of Autism is that we are in a permanent hynogogic state and I must concur. I'm certain we've all heard another (NT) say to us, in effect, "You seem so far away, where are you?" Well, NT, that's because I AM FAR AWAY. I'm inside my own mind and in deep thought. And this is akin to being asleep/dreaming.

To confide, I can do some of my best work (!) whilst half-asleep/half-awake and this is a vital way of being for me. I'd not have it otherwise.

< "autie-lyze it" - by our sartresue 8) LOVE that, thank you! >

Autception topic

The above is a pun on dreaming and the new movie with L. DiCaprio.

Thanks, Lab-Pet!

From what I remember last night while asleep, I had some sort of brain activity episode, and like most of these episodes, this one was bizarre. I believe the bizarrity is something autistic in itself. At any rate I am in these dreams and others are talking, some to me, as far as I know, but I do not answer them, though most of the time I understand what they are saying. Last night I did not do as the woman in the dream wanted--a ususal behaviour for me. I do look into their eyes, as I find this mesmerizing. I guess they stare, and i stare back!! ! Last night I repeated what the woman wanted, and as she spoke, the words formed on paper so I could read them. I am a visual person, and this happens frequently in my dreams. I usually deal with one person, not a group. So I ignore others, and they ignore me. But what each person asks is really creepy and bizarre--no wonder I ignore it. If dream logic makes no sense, I will not engage in it. In lucid dreams, I do not care if my behaviour is bizarre or not--I might engage in it just to see what will happen. Since there are little if any consequences in my dreams, it would not matter what I did, but the rational side often wins, at least in the non-lucid dreamscape. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:13 pm

That's interesting that you're able to read in a dream...a lot of times people have difficulty with that, because apparently the sections of the brain that are responsible for that are still asleep. (I find that sometimes I can read things, but then they shift and it's very irritating--and sometimes cues me into the fact that I'm dreaming, even while IN the dream.)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:54 pm

lithium73 wrote:
Yes, mine are like silent movies as well. I actually had a real cool one the other day that had like a communal house sort of thing for Aspies except everyone had their own little room like a cave and you didnt have to speak to or even see others. Kinda hard to explain but it was a safe place where aspies could be aspies.

8) Oh, you dreamt of the Wrong Planet.

About danielsmyname's question, alluding to an individual who is missing a limb (for instance); Although being Autistic may not be comparable, in that we are encompassing beings, I do understand your premise. C. Jung noted archetypes where we identify with our way of being (my father, who died when I was 12, was an amputee, so I 'get it') - I'd suspect, by extension, that in fact plenty of amputees do identify themselves as a 'type,' similar to ourselves (as Autists). However, if their injury/disability is fairly recent or not accepted, then, well.....? Phantom pains are a neuropathic symptom with very real physical manifestations; maybe if one is dreaming that 'phantom pain' exists still. Unknown.

One cannot dream of what one does not know, like Callista stated. Although our dreams can be very imaginative and fantastical, they are confined in this way. But. then again, I dream of math that I do not implicitly know. Like sedaka stated (sorry if this is out-of-context), even if ourselves are not the center of the dream, we'd necessarily recognize ourselves as 'self' or we'd have no way to recognize ourself.

I guess, like Fuzzy stated, if I dream of peoples then they can be either ephemeral/shadowy or obstructive - even menacing, although I may not fully visualize 'them.' (OK, sort-of like real life, but that's another story). Like marshall stated, I think.

As I understand, the quality, and perhaps quantity, of NT dreams are different than our own. I.e., we do have sig. different brain waves during R.E.M.

Factoid: Monotremes, such as platypus, are proported to be the only mammals that do NOT dream - that is, do not engage in R.E.M. < In case you're ever invited to a cocktail party, this is an awesome trivial factoid to share. >

EDIT: When I was pre-schoolish, I really did not recognize others, at all, as sentient beings. I considered 'them' to be just another inanimate object, like a rocking chair or a dog. In fact, they are human. So I'm told.

Last edited by LabPet on 16 Jul 2010, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.