Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2010, 12:26 pm

I am really self-conscious in public or with friends. I read somewhere about a lack of self-consciousness in autism - is that just for lower functioning people?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm

I'm only suspected of having Asperger's, but I'm not. I used to be as a kid, but that was connected to my PTSD.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm

I used to be self-conscious, but I'm not, any more.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 1:25 pm

I am not usually self conscious, but I think I used to be.

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2010, 1:58 pm

Depends with new people I am a lot but with people I knew depending on how long I have known them and how many times I have met them its not so bad.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 1:58 pm

I'm not self conscious, in the sense that I don't worry about how I look or what people will think of me, but I do feel very awkward and uncomfortable if I don't know what to say.

I think I'm self conscious on the bus though, because people seem very touchy about being looked at even for a split second, so I don't know where to look. Usually I look at people's shoes. :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 2:19 pm

bee33 wrote:
I'm not self conscious, in the sense that I don't worry about how I look or what people will think of me, but I do feel very awkward and uncomfortable if I don't know what to say.

I think I'm self conscious on the bus though, because people seem very touchy about being looked at even for a split second, so I don't know where to look. Usually I look at people's shoes. :)

This is a very good description of how I am. I don't consider that self conscious, though. It's social awkwardness, which is not the same thing.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 2:46 pm

fleeced wrote:
I am really self-conscious in public or with friends. I read somewhere about a lack of self-consciousness in autism - is that just for lower functioning people?

I've never heard or read that, and it would depend on how you define 'self-consciousness'. What psychologists mean in a clinical sense is often quite different than what is meant in a conversational sense, so...

That said, I think I'm more self conscious since my diagnosis than I ever was before in my life. Now I worry that I'm walking funny, or that my awkwardness and clumsiness are glaringly visible to everyone around me and I was just oblivious to it before, and it makes me very nervous, which only makes the awkwardness worse... :oops:

Sometimes I'm almost certain I have DOOFUS tattooed on my forehead. 8O

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 2:50 pm

Willard wrote:
That said, I think I'm more self conscious since my diagnosis than I ever was before in my life. Now I worry that I'm walking funny, or that my awkwardness and clumsiness are glaringly visible to everyone around me and I was just oblivious to it before, and it makes me very nervous, which only makes the awkwardness worse... :oops:

Ah, in this sense, yes I'm self conscious about certain things I might do that are typical autistic behaviors, like accidentally stimming in front of people - specifically hand flapping and certain things I do with my fingers, oh and rocking....yes, in this way I am self conscious. :oops: :cry:

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2010, 7:14 pm

Willard wrote:
I've never heard or read that, and it would depend on how you define 'self-consciousness'. What psychologists mean in a clinical sense is often quite different than what is meant in a conversational sense,

Yes, I think it it must have been in the clinical sense, makes more sense.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 7:45 pm

I think the concept of self consciousness in Aspies comes from appearances, not from what's going on inside our heads. We may look and act self conscious, but not really care at all what anyone thinks. Lack of eye contact and body language that we're unaware of can present the same way as self consciousness.

I wouldn't say that none of us are self conscious though. Only that appearances can deceive. I have a son who seems self conscious all the time, but he's not. Just piss him off and you'll see what I mean. He'll let you have it six ways from Sunday, and it'll be obvious he never gave a rip what anyone thinks.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

I'm extremely self conscious whenever I'm around another person that I haven't known for years, so almost everyone barring a few people in my life. I can also become self conscious even around those I've known almost my whole life if for some reason I feel I have an uncomfortable level of focus on me. I find this a debilitating awkwardness and it's something that I've experienced as far back as I can remember. I get a highly uneasy, anxious, self conscious, self preservative, instinctive reaction whenever I feel watched and it impairs my ability to complete tasks. It acts like a trip wire on my nervous system.

Adding to this, I'm also highly sensitive (in-tuned) to when others watch me. I can feel when someone is looking at me even if they are out of my vision. Sometimes I get the "hair standing up on my neck" thing. Other times, I don't even know how I can sense it. I just do.

When I become self conscious, I am hyper aware of every movement I make, like suddenly I am outside of my own skin and can't function smoothly because of it. It leads to an unpleasant feeling around too many people and it's one of many reasons that social interaction becomes exhausting to me and I need to retreat from it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 11:15 pm

I tend to be very self conscious about myself in certain things.

boostjunky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2010, 11:45 pm

fleeced wrote:
Are you self-conscious?

yes; very much so.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 11:56 pm

I'm easily embarrassed, if that's what you mean. I don't embarrass myself, really. I just don't know how to respond to other people, so I am very doubtful when I am forced into reacting. :oops:

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 11:58 pm

I am, but I probably wouldn't be if people didn't judge the way I act or look so much...I try to jump through hoops, but it's still not enough.