Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

I have been told that many people on the spectrum usually don't have a very good imagination. This seemed odd to me because I hve always had a pretty good imagination. though mine is a bit odd. When it comes to art I always want to draw real things cats and dogs specifically I am also at wright with writing stories as well.Does anyone else have realy good imagination? Mine is really hard to explain will on tooth pain meds sorry.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:17 pm

I would think that drawing 'real things' like cats and dogs would be a sign that one does not have a very creative imagination.
But, anyways, I personally think that the 'lack of imagination' applies more for people with classic autism, because tons of Aspies have the ability to write fantasy stories or draw abstract images. Then again, like with every autism 'symptom', it depends on the person...

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

This isn't necessarily spectrum-related, but I've heard people say stuff like, "I used to think I was more creative than technical, but then I realized it was the other way around." That's exactly how I feel. I like creative things more than I like technical things, but when it comes down to it, I'm not sure whether my creativity or my technical skills are going to get me farther in life... I'm not sure I'm all that great at either (but I might be, maybe I'm just doubting myself).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:31 pm

Yeah, that's a completely false stereotype, just like the notion that we have no sense of humor. It may apply to classic Autism, but it doesn't apply to AS. I've been drawing and painting since preschool and intended to go for my commercial design degree before I got seduced away by the dark side of the media and spent the next three decades doing stand-up material for hours a day on the radio, and writing and producing silly character voices for commercials. I can't focus on a task that doesn't involve some type of creative expression, or an obsessive special interest. Usually both.

Now, I will say that when it comes to my visual art, I consider myself a skilled hack, rather than someone born with a natural talent. I've seen many artists whose work just flows from their hand with a smooth grace. I, on the other hand require an eraser and some white out, but I do tend to be stubbornly perfectionist about reworking something until I'm satisfied with it, unfortunately for my tattoo clients, who just have to sit there and endure the discomfort, while I tweak and reshade and touch up until I'm sure there's nothing else I can improve on. :twisted:

Last edited by Willard on 25 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:33 pm

I would say that my imagination is excellent as I am a writer. I also used to paint and sculpt and so on. I could make up stories so easily when I was growing up that I was often accused of letting my imagination run away with me. I was always making up imaginary friends and inventing games that were popular with neighborhood kids.

Remember that lack of imagination is not part of the Asperger's criteria. We just tend, as a whole to be less imaginative. I think that if I fit into that in any way, it is that my childhood imagination usually involved very real rules of basic science.. and I always called the shots. For instance, if we were playing that we were sailing on a ship and got shipwreaked, I had to be sure that the other kids knew the length and width of the ship, how much cargo we could hold and the amount of food that was availble. If there was no actual wind when we were playing, then the ship was not going anywhere. When we shipwreaked, resources needed to be available from the actual trees and plants in the area, etc. I never allowed anything to be purely fanciful.

If anything DID involve imaginary creatures or such, I needed to provide or be provided with size, shape, preferred diet and so on... I don't know if I drove other children crazy or if they considered me some kind of prodigy, but in any case, imaginary play was completely different than standard social interaction (parties, groups in school), where I was completely lost, and easily intimidated.