Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 8:33 am

Not talking about the languages like Tolkien's Elvish - a beautiful construction - though at least some of us do that too - Wa ho!

I am talking about talking to yourself, or singing, in plausible fake languages. I used to ride my bicycle singing - in imitation languages - songs filled with my emotions. In English I will not sing - I won't even whistle - if someone not on my inner klist can hear.

And If I am griped I will mutter under my breath - Par gozo tanqi, cha! In non-tongues. Again, you may get my feeling, but the detauils will stay hidden, as they have to be unless you have top clearance.

I was reminded of this - wewll, I do it all the time, so it is moe my attention swas drawn to it - yesterday when my son [who made up a language at about six years old] asked me to create more pseudo-language pseudo folk songs so he could perform without everybody knowing what he was saying.

Anybody?

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 8:44 am

I use a lot of neologisms.

I also had my own language when I was 7-9, every words contained a number and letters. The most perfect word was "idea5" because the vowels are written in the reverse alphabetical order (a - e - i) and the total of the letters is "5" just like the last letter/number.

I started to create another language when I was 17 and am currently rewriting the grammatical rules. (I even created a LiveJournal in order to avoid losing the datas again).

My brother and I shared a language when we started speaking but that's mostly the famous "twin thing". :lol:

So... yes, I do speak in fake languages.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 8:46 am

Klingonasse! qPach!

ruveyn

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm

had you not mentioned it, Philologos, i probably would have not remembered.

i used to talk and mutter to myself in fantasy language to a fantasy plot in my early teens quite a bit.
i thought it might have been caused by the fact that in our house the daily radio broadcoast for "guestworkers" form all over europe was a staple.
i partially understood some, but had not a clue about others, but they sounded absolutely beautiful....

i also only did it when i was quite sure to be on my own, and it lasted only a few years as well.

strange times, puberty and adolescence.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:30 am

Thanks - it is not a common thing. I was in a position to meet language freaks - a whole career in languages and linguistics - and I met only about two others who did the invented language thing - my Sanskrit professor and much later one student.

Our son started it spontaneously [I do not talk about languages all the time, and never talked to him about language invention. Later on he developed an alphabet for it and worked on a computer font.

I should add I also often put on strenge ektsents, vat zey are mostly Yeast European or out from India. I once [never thought till I had said it] said something in a heavy Slavic accent in front mine Lavian professor. People looked at me - he did not mind.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 1:35 am

I remember when I was younger I made up words. No real language. Almost all of my words had no meaning at all. I just sang them because I thought it sounded really nice and I still do. The only ones I remember telling about my made up words were Kesha, my imaginary friend, and my sister. This has inspired me to make up my own language. I think I'll start one.

yukari
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2010, 2:56 am

In my early teens I liked to sing in own imitation language - no clear sense, only expression of emotions. I had an idea, that there are somewhere some beings, who can hear my songs and understand.
Now I have similar feeling when I listen to songs in Japanese - most sound aren't strange for Russian ears, but I cannot understand a word. It reminds me on my childish languages.
Now, as I study linguistics, I work on two conlangs with complex grammar and nice scripts. I also have plans to learn one of conlangs, not like esperanto (i know basics of it), but like lojban or ilaksh - it is interesting for me, how language can express structure of thought and feelings.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:33 am

I have my own dialect, I call it Valoiig.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY