Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hellopuppy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2010, 3:21 pm

Hi, new here, but have been researching Aspergers with the help of my family for a while. We thought my brother had it, but he was diagnosed as having ADD/learning disabilities. He doesn't have the OCD (mostly trichotillomania/skin picking), obsessions, and social anxieties that I do...past doctors have diagnosed (and over-medicated!) me for anxiety, depression, even bipolar. But it really does seem that it's really been Aspergers all along.

Do you feel a medical diagnosis is necessary or helpful? f you have been diagnosed, what kinds of tests did you need to take, and what kinds of medication and therapy, if any, were recommended by your doctor?

Thanks

frag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:27 pm

For me the DX was necessary because it granted me some real help. I get a care worker helping me drag home groceries once a week. Could get more help if I wish. I can talk to professionals who understand. Where I live, treatment of AS people is rather fair (not always great), before I was in the hands of psychiatry, and psychiatry here is extremely backwards and abusive and did me great harm.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:40 pm

If you're convinced AS describes you, IMO having a formal diagnosis is just smart thinking. The more documented proof you have of your handicap, the smoother things will go if you ever do have to file for government assistance.

hellopuppy

31 Jul 2010, 4:03 pm

THanks for the replies. Frag, it's great that you are able to receive the help you need. Do any of you have other examples of government assistance? Like can they help with finding employment? I'm a college student and really worried about finding work after graduation.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

Here they have to find you a fake job (like how nice, a job without pay...) if you request it. I don't know how it is in your country.