20 Jul 2010, 11:28 pm

Yay! More curbie propoganda!

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

PunkyKat wrote:

Agreed! I watched these two videos without any kind of subtitles. When you watch it without the sounds (like me), at first you won't really see anything wrong with it. It just didn't seem out of place. I had a friend on IRC give me a small transcription of what was said in one of the videos, and immediately I knew that it was obviously propaganda stuff. They try to feed the 'myth' of autism to people that are clueless and make them think that slapping a cure on autism will magically fix everything. They advocate HBOT for such an young age, which at first I thought it was 'harmless' until I read the pdf for the double-blind study and the side effects of undergoing HBOT (it's a small number) and these seem to not be a safe treatment for such young children. Also, chelation? Seriously? I thought we already debunked the vaccine myth?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 3:06 am

Sefirato wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

They advocate HBOT for such an young age, which at first I thought it was 'harmless' until I read the pdf for the double-blind study and the side effects of undergoing HBOT (it's a small number) and these seem to not be a safe treatment for such young children. Also, chelation? Seriously? I thought we already debunked the vaccine myth?

If you have it, I would LOVE to get factual information on HBOT! :D

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2010, 7:54 am

"Locked inside yourself and not wanting to come out." - Unlocking Autism

Hey, it's not that I don't WANT to come out of my shell, it's just very difficult. That statement above is highly inaccurate.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 8:21 am

You're lucky if you have a "shell". I'm more intimately connected to the world around me than any NT I know. I'm just not good at communicating to said NTs.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

John_Browning wrote:
Sefirato wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

They advocate HBOT for such an young age, which at first I thought it was 'harmless' until I read the pdf for the double-blind study and the side effects of undergoing HBOT (it's a small number) and these seem to not be a safe treatment for such young children. Also, chelation? Seriously? I thought we already debunked the vaccine myth?

If you have it, I would LOVE to get factual information on HBOT! :D

There you go.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 1-9-21.pdf

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:01 am

http://health.discovery.com/videos/amaz ... ofile.html

sorry if i'm out of line i wouldn't ever use the strap on my child. and i wouldn't ever lay my 6 year old down as if she a 2 month old infant for changing. you can make them stand their legs are find.
and come on she 6 why and the hell are those infant/toddler toys are their. :roll:

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2010, 10:22 am

This documentary is just too noisy for me to watch. Someone needs to shut these kids up so I can hear the narrator!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:26 am

Its not available in my nation, but from the comments i can tell its probably going to ba another 'ZOMG AUTISM IS TERBBLE' thing

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2010, 10:27 am

Leekduck wrote:
Its not available in my nation, but from the comments i can tell its probably going to ba another 'ZOMG AUTISM IS TERBBLE' thing

From what I saw, you'd be right on the money.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:06 am

Leekduck wrote:

Basically one of those autism is an evil disease that ruins parents' lives by giving them defective and soulless children. Plus they get bonus points for pushing unproven biomed therapies and thoroughly disproven vaccine links.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2010, 11:16 am

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
http://health.discovery.com/videos/amazing-families-vod-autism-profile.html

sorry if i'm out of line i wouldn't ever use the strap on my child. and i wouldn't ever lay my 6 year old down as if she a 2 month old infant for changing. you can make them stand their legs are find.
and come on she 6 why and the hell are those infant/toddler toys are their. :roll:

When I watched the first video the first time (with the 3-yr-old boy), I was shocked to see the child strapped to the seat, but a minute later I understood why, but I wish that the father was prepared way ahead in advance with the trimmers before he placed the child in the seat. In and out quickly. Not leaving the child in the seat crying and screaming for minutes until he finally gets his hair cut. Nothing worse than seeing a child stressed out to the max like that.

Now, for the new video with the girl.. WTF?! Pants BELT?! CRUELTY!

As for the laying the 6 year-old for changing - it is the best way to change a diaper, really. Standing up and being still for a child like that is a bit difficult. There's nothing wrong with them playing with the infant toys, really. It's just toys.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:39 am

MONIQUEIJ wrote:

My daughter sometimes likes to play with infant and toddler toys and she's almost in middle school. I threw many of them away when she went into kindergarten because I thought she'd outgrown them. She was so heartbroken and wanted them back so much that I wound up re-buying new versions of many of them.

There are many, many threads about adults enjoying their Legos, children's cartoons, action figures and so on and wondering why the NT world thinks they should give these things up just because they've reached a certain age. I agree. I don't think toys need to be abandoned just because somebody reaches a certain age. If people on WP want to watch Spongebob, that's fine. If this girl and my daughter want to play with toddler toys, that's fine for excactly the same reason. There should be no pressure to only stick to age-appropriate toys. I'm glad her parents see that too.

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2010, 12:32 pm

Janissy wrote:
There are many, many threads about adults enjoying their Legos, children's cartoons, action figures and so on and wondering why the NT world thinks they should give these things up just because they've reached a certain age. I agree. I don't think toys need to be abandoned just because somebody reaches a certain age. If people on WP want to watch Spongebob, that's fine. If this girl and my daughter want to play with toddler toys, that's fine for excactly the same reason. There should be no pressure to only stick to age-appropriate toys. I'm glad her parents see that too.

This.

I completely agree. My super-NT aunt recently said to me, "I don't think so and so's son is very intelligent. He's ret*d, I think, because he's in his 20s and still watches kid cartoons."

Umm. I'm a cartoonist and she said that to me! I love cartoons! Cartoons are one of the coolest forms of art out there, IMO. I hate when people think you should have to abandon anything just because of your age. That's crap. I'm 28 and I like watching cartoons meant for toddlers that teach me that "C" is for "Cat." It's comforting and I don't have to think while I watch it. It seems to quiet my mind. Pixar is my absolute favourite, though. That and I know some animators that work at Pixar, so I'm biased. :)

And yeah... Spongebob rocks. ;)

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"