Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cecdwarfer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2010, 12:02 pm

I have never ever got drunk due to not liking the idea of poisoning myself and losing control of my actions. Could this be related to Asperger's as it seems I'm strange in never having over indulged. Is anyone else like this?

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

I am the same, really - I don't see any point to alcohol. I don't like the taste of it. I find it faintly sad that so many people seem to think of it as some sort of magical treat that has the power to make or break the archetypal 'good night out' ( - another thing I have minimal interest in). Besides, I hate drunk people. As far as I can tell, all alcohol does is isolate the annoying, hateful aspects of any given person's character, and magnify them so that they take over and govern that person's behaviour.

So, in short, I haven't 'indulged' either - but it's beside the point as I don't see alcohol as an indulgence to begin with.

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm

I drink fairly heavily, an I've never found it to cause loss of control - I still feel exactly the same self-control even after quite a lot. The worst that's happened to me was a blackout at a party one time (which I wouldn't normally have gone to, except it was only people I knew quite well), during which all I did was wander around telling people that I thought I was having a blackout lmao.

There is some lessening of social anxiety for me (not that it ever leaves completely), but I'm always still in control of my faculties (except for the very occasional falling-over).

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

I don't like alcohol at all. Every time I drink any, I feel so sick. I can feel it destroying my body. Everyone says I'm over-reacting, but I really do feel pain throughout my entire body from the alcohol. It's so horrible. I get drunk very easily too, but have had my fair share of Bacardi 151, Stolichnaya, and Svedka. But I can't get over the alcoholic taste anyways, so I can't even enjoy a beer or any of those. YICK! is all I can think. *scrunches up nose*

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm

I have only been really drunk once, and I didn't like it. I feel helpless or unable to handle an emergency if something happens while I'm in that condition. So any enjoyment that others might feel when they drink, is ruined for me by fear. I like beer, but I quit drinking that (and also quit all soda; everything but water), a few years ago in favor of being in excellent physical shape.

In the past, if I had a couple of beers and started to feel a "buzz", it would cause me to feel exposed and vulnerable. I'd "disappear" and go to sleep, and I'd avoid all contact with anyone for the rest of the evening.

Charles

frag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm

I don't get to the loss of control part. Usually I drink in moderation but when I don't I still don't do stupid things... well I might fall over and get bruised.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm

I drink a lot.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2010, 1:06 pm

Personally, I have difficulty reconciling with something being "bad" when you're a kid and "good" (even expected) when you're an adult. I don't have a problem with people who drink (many in my family do, and most of the world does), but personally, I couldn't do it without feeling guilty. It just seems strange to me that one day you can't drink, and then the next, you're 21, and you're expected to drink (though I assume most people are drinking before then anyway).

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:11 pm

The 21 age is put in place mainly because that's when everyone stops growing. Any substance can effect how you grow.

I believe that you can become dependent on a substance because as your body changes, like puberty, it will change to adapt to the substances you take. I'm not sure how right I am with that though. It's just some speculation on my end.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:12 pm

I've been hammered more times than I can shake a stick at :wink: :arrow:

RaquiGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2010, 1:20 pm

I used to drink a lot... a lot, a lot. I drank way too much all through my early twenties and then stopped drinking entirely about eleven years ago. Drinking lessened my social anxiety considerably, but I wanted to be drunk all the time and it wasn't conducive to things like school or work. :lol:

I've since had to find other ways of coping. The solutions I've found have been less effective than alcohol, but far less damaging overall, so I stay quit.

underground
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2010, 1:46 pm

Funny enough i'm drinking a bottle of beer now, although typical aspie I only drink real ales which are great in taste . And there are so many different flavours and aromas involved that it almost gives a good excuse to get drunk, also it has become quite a hobby tasting the different ales of England and they are seasonal as well ,so it's an all year round excuse . Currently sipping adnams southwold summer beer . tasting notes zesty flavour of grapefruit,sweet with a hint of bitterness. Can't wait for the next bottle conditioned beer ,cornish ipa from st austell made with cornish spring water, where's that opener gone?. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

I enjoy the odd beer, every now and again. Other than that, I don't drink.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:20 pm

I like to drink because I need to get out of my skin for awhile...I think the whole point of consuming mind altering substances is because it messes with our senses which in turn change our perceptions...it's the easiest way to see something through someone else's eyes.

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2010, 2:26 pm

I got drunk for the first time about four months ago and didn't like it. I really got sick, I mean very sick where I was throwing up none stop for three hours. I got some serious alcohol poisoning. I never want to do that again.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

I used to drink like a fish, before I was put on antidepressants