Who Here Has an Autoimmune Disease(s)?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2010, 12:53 am

There was another thread on ASD and thyroid issues to which I briefly referenced the research linking autism with autoimmune diseases (which tend to come in bunches). I thought to make this reply on that thread, but now I don't think it's very appropriate for a thyroid-specific thread, so I'll ask here out of real curiosity.

When I first joined this forum I was amazed by the ratio of people who mentioned having type 1 diabetes, which I have, to those who did not mention having it, and I googled autism and type 1 diabetes and found a LOAD of information on links between autism and autoimmune diseases, with some camps thinking that autism IS an autoimmune disease (or at least can be). The literature references the genetic tendency of autoimmune disease to increase (by a very interesting factor) the dual diagnosis of autism. I have type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and psoriasis, all autoimmune.

What autoimmune diseases do you have?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:07 am

I do not have any, that I know of, but when I was little they thought I might have one. My Boyfriend is an aspie with type 1 diabetes.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:27 am

Probable Celiac's, or just general gluten sensitivity.

greeneyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2010, 2:11 am

Goodness! I had'nt heard that before, I have Lupus. Fortunately not severely. That's really interesting but I won't research it I'm afraid my head will explode.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:22 am

If anything I have the OPPOSITE of an autoimmune disease. I get sick twice a year at the most and usually the people I catch stuff from have it 3x worse than I do. I don't even wash my hands a significant amount.

greeneyes

13 Aug 2010, 2:34 am

An autoimmune disease is when your body attacks itself. Causing damage.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:54 am

And usually leaves you defenseless against other outside attacks? Yeah...you must have missed that part.

edit: probably should have said severely weakened rather than defenseless, oh well.

danace2000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2010, 3:05 am

An autoimmune disease doesn't mean you are susceptible to illness, I have type 1 diabetes and psoriasis but I rarely get ill with infections, even when others close to me have them.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:10 am

Ahh must only be the more malignant ones. I wouldn't call myself even moderately knowledgeable in this field, oh well, I still stand by the fact that I am free of them. So at least I can contribute something to this topic.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:13 am

I got sick a lot as a kid, so they did think I might have one. Turned out I don't.

greeneyes

13 Aug 2010, 3:22 am

Sometimes people muddle autoimmune with immunosuppressed although many treatments suppress your immune system and make you vulnerable to infection.

Could people's autoimmune conditions be also made worse (but not caused by) the stress associated with having an ASD? I definitely get iller when I'm stressed.

I can feel my hand pushing my mouse towards the google search but I must resist...I must resist.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 4:42 am

I have Sjogren's, lupus and hypothyroid.

In my family and extended family, there are these immune system illnesses (including autoimmune), severe allergies, severe allergic asthma, lesser allrgies, lesser asthma, lupus, Sjogren's, RA, hyperthyroid, diabetes type1, MS, Meniere's and B12 deficiency. 3 out of 4 grandparents had an AI. The rest are cousins, parent and sibling.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2010, 5:47 am

Gluten intolerance and some symptoms of auto-immune thyroid disease. My 11 year old PDD/AS son is celiac.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:21 am

Nope, I got left out on the autoimmune bandwagon. But you can keep it all for yourself, I don't want it.

There is also a correlation between AS and reynauds symdrome. But I don't have that one either.

The Dr just gave me some Decadron which shuts off the immune system. Decadron (dexamethazone) is a cortisone. I was OK while on the pill (all symptoms disappear), but when it wore off, I was so sick I though I would die. I had an avalanche of diseases that hit me all at the same time. Most have resolved, but I still have bronchitis. This was from two weeks ago.

They give that stuff to people with autoimmune problems (and to people like me with a pulled muscle), but I did not have a good experience with it. Its seriously nasty stuff IMHO.

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2010, 8:22 am

Pistonhead wrote:
And usually leaves you defenseless against other outside attacks? Yeah...you must have missed that part.

edit: probably should have said severely weakened rather than defenseless, oh well.

No, autoimmune attacks don't compromise your immune system, but diseases they cause can do so, like type 1 diabetes.... but that's only if it isn't well controlled. I have diabetes, but haven't had as much as a cold since sometime in the 90's. I just don't get sick, as long as I take enough vitamin C (I have a HUUUGE vitamin C requirement -limited to just the RDA I would develop scurvy) (Not kidding).

I forgot to mention that I have constant allergies as well.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

Psoriasis.