Something I never really thought of...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:33 pm

Saying to others "Hey, how are you doing?"

I'm kinda sick of other people saying it to me, its about time I say it back to them. I guess it doesn't come as natural to me to say things beyond a "Hi".

Anyone else never say "Hey, how are you doing"?

Prksrbrt
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

Only at my work, but I'm told to greet the customer with an open ended question. Also they didn't like my questions on what size shoes people wore as my open ended question... I don't like it when I ask someone how they are at my work and they ask the same exact question back... seems a bit counterproductive to me.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2010, 8:13 am

Oh, I absolutely hate it. "Hey" isn't the proper response to that question, but I say it all the time. Sometimes, I also say, "Doing good," to which people respond, "Just fine, how about yourself?" It's like, uh... I was tell YOU that I was doing good, not ASKING if you were. I prefer to just get these "pleasantries" over with as quickly as possible. I hate them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 8:17 am

I should start doing that, as well.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2010, 9:50 am

Hah, I tend to say "hi, how's it going?" but I actually mean that question literally, and it annoys me when people come up with some socially meaningless answer like "fine." I ask because I actually want to know. Otherwise I stick with just plain old "hello."

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 11:46 am

I don't like it when they don't give a crap about the answer. If you're mutually trying to befriend each other, or are good friends and genuinely care– then it's good.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm

Best response I heard back to that was "I'm doing, which is better then being done to"

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

I never even think of saying it, then when I do think of it I just feel awkward. I really don't have normal conversation patterns.

I'm trying to improve this. I'm out of sync with everyone, of course, but in my mind I FEEL like I'm in sync with people. The trouble is that I'm sure it looks very different from an outside perspective. I think I just seem oblivious most of the time.