Yes, but it's forced. 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 64

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 3:40 pm

Can I make eye contact?

When I'm comfortable...yes.

When I'm not comfortable......yes, but it's extremely uncomfortable.

When I have to think about an answer....no.

When I'm really uncomfortable....no.

--XFG

ayla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2010, 4:01 pm

I force myself to make eye contact, so I "can" most of the times.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:07 pm

I think I probably do it naturally when I'm relaxed. When I'm uncomfortable I have to force myself and I never know how long it's appropriate to do it for.

The salsa rueda dancing I do is good practice for this - there are specific times when it's particularly appropriate to look at your partner.

flybirdfly
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2010, 4:50 pm

I normally don't care much for eye contact, but I generally try to force it. Sometimes I like to see people's eyes, but usually it's not so comfortable and I'd rather not.

Last edited by flybirdfly on 29 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoralAnimal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2010, 5:03 pm

I only make eye contact with people I trust. There are times when I am making eye contact and I am baffled as to why and other times I just can't force myself to make eye contact with someone I spend a lot of time with. In the end, it always boils down to my trust level.

SjazzMean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2010, 11:36 am

I voted "Most of the time"..
Like you, I made eye contact as a baby/young child, and still do - though I've no sense of what is too much and too little, what I do is just what I feel is right..
I don't really find it hard to look people in the eyes, I'm facinated by eye colors, but because of that I sometimes happens to "look to deep" in the eyes, and focus on the eye color, so that I can't concentrate on what I'm going to say..
I find it very easy to look in the eyes while the person is talking, but when I'm going to talk I often look away while I think about what I'm going to say and then look in the eyes of the person again, while I'm talking.. I guess that is pretty normal though..
But all in all, my eye contact is natural most of the time, I don't like making eye contact when I'm upset (in the sad way), but sometimes still do, if I want the other person to really understand that I mean what I say..
In my diagnosis from the center of autism they wrote I had good coordinated eye contact, while I talked to them (in interviews I always force myself to look at the persons eyes, even if I find it uncomftable now and then)..

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 11:42 am

Choopey wrote:
Hi!
I'm prof diagnosed but I do make eye contact naturally, I've made eye contact ever since I was a baby. People keep on saying that you can't make eye contact if you're AS. But are there other diagnosed in here that actually CAN make eye contact??
Also I do not stim very much, but I do sometimes. Especially if Im talking in front of a crowd or with many people.

Once again, everyone does not have every symptom. Everyones experience with Aspergers or Autism varies.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm

I tend to look anywhere, mostly not at faces at all. Then I worry that people will think I'm not listening or don't care about what they're saying :?

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

If I remember, I make eye contact or I pretend - I stare at eyes colour and shape, lashes, makeup, but not emotions, if eyes really have them.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 4:27 pm

Choopey wrote:
To you who do not make eye contact:
Where do you look? In the floor? On the persons mouth, nose? Or where?

When I don't...

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Also the ceiling, the walls, other people, etc. I tend to look all over, and only make occasional eye contact only briefly.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...