Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm

I was reading this article:
http://www.aane.org/about_asperger_synd ... dults.html

I am interested in this part:

Quote:
# In addition to those with an MD or PhD, any professional with the credentials and expertise to diagnose any other condition may also make a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome. Such professionals may be social workers (MSW), master’s level psychologists (MA), or other mental health professionals.
# Neuropsychological testing is not required to get an “official diagnosis”. To apply for Social Security, one must receive the diagnosis from an MD or a PhD.

Okay... I just got social security for other mental health issues, but my MSW believes I have AS and refers to it and helps me with my behaviors, but my MD guy doesn't agree. So what would my diagnosis position be???

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 3:19 am

Angnix wrote:
Okay... I just got social security for other mental health issues, but my MSW believes I have AS and refers to it and helps me with my behaviors, but my MD guy doesn't agree. So what would my diagnosis position be???

Your diagnosis for social security purposes is whatever formal evidence you supplied them with - the MD is not going to correct it, and they aren't going to arbitrate a professional disagreement anyway.

If you are personally concerned about the correct diagnosis, and there is no loss to you whichever way it goes, then my opinion is that neither a generalist medical doctor nor a social worker are appropriate. I would expect generalists to refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist for formal assessment, preferably with experience of AS and autism.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 7:19 am

StuartN wrote:
Angnix wrote:

Your diagnosis for social security purposes is whatever formal evidence you supplied them with - the MD is not going to correct it, and they aren't going to arbitrate a professional disagreement anyway.

If you are personally concerned about the correct diagnosis, and there is no loss to you whichever way it goes, then my opinion is that neither a generalist medical doctor nor a social worker are appropriate. I would expect generalists to refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist for formal assessment, preferably with experience of AS and autism.

The MD is a psychatrist, and the MSW is a form of therapist/developmental psychologist, I should have stated that better.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 3:27 pm

Angnix wrote:
The MD is a psychatrist, and the MSW is a form of therapist/developmental psychologist, I should have stated that better.

I would lock them in a room until they agree, a bit like the village council scene in The Poisonwood Bible.

But as I said before, if the MSW's opinion is sufficient for your social security, then that is enough.