Autistics Never Living the American Dream????

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 4:59 pm

So I was on this other site talking about cures, and vaccinations, and look at what this lady said to me............

I live in the U.S. of A. So does my daughter and 1.5 million other people who are dxed autistic.

It's not that I am going to die.

It's that autism prevents 1.5 million people of living the American Dream.

Home ownership. Picket fence. Being married. Having a job. Having children. Having sex. Having freedom. Having it all.

Temple Grandin is employed but not married and no children.
Stephen Shore is married to an Asian woman, no children, wife employed and he writes books and lecture circuit. His autobiography gives details on being fired various jobs and the cultural differences between an american woman and an asian woman in marriage.
Ahh Liane Holliday Wiley, dxed with Residual Aspergers Syndrome in Adult" by Tony Atwood. Married with kids, husband, job, home owner, employed etc. Problem is what the heck is Residual Aspergers Syndrome in an Adult and was dxed after children. Shadow syndrome shouldn't be confused with an actual aspergers dxes.
Jim Sinclair, living independently, not married, no children, unemployed.
Phil Schwarz, married, employed, children, dxed Aspie, after son was dxed autistic.
Kathy Grant. Divorced. No children, part time job, living independently.
Ned Christopher. works part time, not married, no children, 24 hour supervision.

the list can go on and on and on and on and on.

I have read a lot of books. Read many books cross referenced.

You can't have it all with an autism dxes. Especially if you were dxed as a child. Child being someone aged 3-4 years old. That met the full qualifications of being autistic which is not the same thing as the umbrella catagory of PDD.

Last time I checked, a lot of autistics are living the american dream, and are doing very well... She basically went on after that telling me, that every child diagnosed with autism will never be able to do anything, and autism is whats stopping them! I was like only children who are on the low functioning side of the autistic spectrum. Its insane, does anybody else agree with me, that this woman was out of line?

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 5:05 pm

Who says that autistics WANT to live "the American dream"? I don't think it's fair to segregate low functioning, and high functioning into categories that define a persons happiness. It's as if someone who is considered low functioning in society's eyes is a nonperson if they cannot obtain goals that are set by none other than NTs. Not to mention that said autistics may not even have those personal goals for themselves.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 5:12 pm

I cant say I want the "American Dream"...

This is what Ive always wanted... But will never get unless I get some help.. I cant do stuff like this alone!

First of all.. Have some friends (maybe 2, but 3 at the most.. 1 is cool too) in real life, a significant other, and an apartment for us to crash in. This way I can actually be close to the people who matter to me, which is one of the main things I want out of life.. Then I feel it will be more worth living. Pretty much everything else is extra.

But whats the point in dreaming if it will never come true :roll:

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2007, 5:14 pm

Hi

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 5:27 pm

username88 wrote:

This is what Ive always wanted... But will never get unless I get some help.. I cant do stuff like this alone!

First of all.. Have some friends (maybe 2, but 3 at the most.. 1 is cool too) in real life, a significant other, and an apartment for us to crash in. This way I can actually be close to the people who matter to me, which is one of the main things I want out of life.. Then I feel it will be more worth living. Pretty much everything else is extra.

EXACTLY! While these parents are on their pity potty about the fact that their child isn't NT, they could be trying to make the world a little more accessible to those on the spectrum. They're trying to raise money for a cure, while autistics are still being institutionalized, homeless, and starving. It's as if they disappear after they turn 21, as far as society is concerned. If I didn't have parents that care, or a husband God knows where I'd be. The money should go to programs to aide autistics to make their life more successful, and independent.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 5:39 pm

serenity wrote:
username88 wrote:

EXACTLY! While these parents are on their pity potty about the fact that their child isn't NT, they could be trying to make the world a little more accessible to those on the spectrum. They're trying to raise money for a cure, while autistics are still being institutionalized, homeless, and starving. It's as if they disappear after they turn 21, as far as society is concerned. If I didn't have parents that care, or a husband God knows where I'd be. The money should go to programs to aide autistics to make their life more successful, and independent.

Yea I agree with all of that, I hate how so many people are putting money into trying to find a cure, why don't they just put all their money into research on how to make autistics have a better life. Its so stupid though, that parents convinced if they get a cure, their child will be perfect, I'm sorry, there is no such thing as perfection!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Sep 2007, 5:41 pm

its all propaganda. especially owing a home. your home is where you live, not what you own

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2007, 5:48 pm

I must say I have done alright myself. I own a small home, drive a new car and have a somewhat decent job driving forklifts loading and unloading trucks. I want the american dream and have been working hard for many years to eventually obtain it. I feel im halfway their, and am currently dating, trying to prove to her that I can be a good provider and good father maby. Only time will tell.

Half of it is your situation, and half of it is hard work and ability to maintain. Some can do it, others may not be able to. I think tho, that for me at least, being affected with an ASD, it has allowed me to be meticulous, moreso then even my father... So when it comes to efficency, i always win over my peers, i work hard so i get what i want at work and even a raise. Everyone is different, and always wondered if perhapse some of us may be able to have that american dream better then some NT's because of such meticulousness???

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 6:07 pm

yeah this is stupid. like autism has anything do to with the american dream. it's like there saying homeless people, people with cancer, people with diabetes, children are interfering with the dream. yeah like you gonna have time for sex or whatever when they have children or dont. pethetic...

czechguardsman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2007, 6:57 pm

To hell with the American dream. I don't want to work like a dog for 30 years so I can retire when I'm old and decrepit.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2007, 7:09 pm

czechguardsman wrote:
To hell with the American dream. I don't want to work like a dog for 30 years so I can retire when I'm old and decrepit.

Well... one cant avoid ageing, and one will probably work a little longer then 30 years, thats only enough time to aford a house really, cause paying for your retirement will take a few years of investment as far as what you would earn during those years working.

Everybody is different, but seriously, my 1 true wish on Earth is to obtain it, i dont want riches, all I want is a modest home with a good small family, and I can die a happy man.

Everybody needs to find their own dream

bigizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2007, 7:12 pm

It's not the autism that is the problem. It is autism integrating with our society that is the problem.

Anyway I don't want the American dream. America is full of NT's and I really don't care about their stereotypical dream. I'm perfectly happy where I'm at.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 7:18 pm

Oh and I would like to have a job with a real friendly environment, where I wont feel alienated, but welcomed as they would with anyone else.. I have little hope for anything like that happening in my lifetime as well..
At any rate.. If I need a crappy job to live the main part of my dream then Ill struggle through every moment of it, just to be with my friends.. That I still need to get lol

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2007, 7:47 pm

I struggled through college while raising a child, to realize the American Dream. This was before being DX'd as an Aspie, mind you. When I graduated, I landed a high salaried job in health care, which systematically wore my own health down until I landed on Disability. I can attest to joining the rat race and ending up poor, because I just couldn't keep up with the NT's. So much for the American Dream. :?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 7:53 pm

My "american dream" is to disappear. Not literally, mind you, but I want to move to a different state where nobody will know who I am, and build a new life there. Bonus points for name change (if I can afford the legal fees for it...)

The resulting life I live would then be one that I could do whatever I wanted to do with (short of violating the law). I would no longer be subject to the grueling "family" gatherings that seem to happen on every single holiday of the year (unless i get married or something; unlikely given my way with the women...), and the resultant life would be the life that I build, which would be a true test of my accomplishments...

PS: even more bonus points for name change + liposuction + eye color-changing contacts + hair dye + plastic surgery to change the shape of my face. Then I could disappear and still live in the area I currently live in, interact with people that I want to, while avoiding those that I don't...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 8:43 pm

The REAL American dream has NOTHING to do with owning a home! It is to live financially independent in freedom.

NOW, as to your estimates. Probably HUNDREDS of millions don't REALLY live the american dream.

Home ownership is a CROCK! It USED to be you could live in a large house in a nice area in SAFETY! Today, any of those three is RARE!

Any AS person should be able to hold a job, especially with ADA.

FREEDOM? HA! Does ANY decent person in the US TRULY have freedom?

As for the sex and children, I guess most decent autistics, including aspies, have trouble with that. 8(

BTW I am a "home owner"(Large by many peoples standards today, but still small. I think it is in a nice area that is fairly safe. It is still kind of out in the country.), work at a nice job, never married, no kids.

Last time I checked, a lot of autistics are living the american dream, and are doing very well... She basically went on after that telling me, that every child diagnosed with autism will never be able to do anything, and autism is whats stopping them! I was like only children who are on the low functioning side of the autistic spectrum. Its insane, does anybody else agree with me, that this woman was out of line?