Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 10:20 am

Delirium wrote:
You have to be kidding me. How are you going to verify people's neurological status?

How do gay bars verify people's sexual orientation? :)

Peko wrote:
I'm really surprised that could possibly be allowed :? ... b/c I'd think that would look like "discrimination" even though we'd be banning those who (in many cases) discriminate against us.

Yes, that's why it's surprising that in the original story, it seems it's now allowed in some cases to discriminate against heterosexuals.

I would guess most NT's wouldn't go near an Aspie bar (like most straights would never go in a gay bar). No loud music and ostentatious status displays! The point is that as a sub-section of society that gets routinely discriminated against by the masses, we do have a right, just like gays, to demarcate our own spaces, to change the world into what we want rather than just having to fit in.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 10:31 am

Would anyone bother going? I doubt I would. I have important stimming to do.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

Interesting idea. But gay bars existed in Australia before this law; how come there are no Aspie bars yet? Maybe we need some.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

pfft, would the girl/guy ratio be 1-9?

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 4:31 pm

I dunno....there are plenty of females on WP...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 6:32 pm

Surfman wrote:
pfft, would the girl/guy ratio be 1-9?

A little less than that, maybe 1-6, because of the lack of recognition of female aspies.

But, in typical fashion, the females may not be interested in what I think you're implying interest in; female aspies can be notoriously platonic.

A Thursday child ..

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 6:38 pm

ManErg wrote:
Delirium wrote:
You have to be kidding me. How are you going to verify people's neurological status?

How do gay bars verify people's sexual orientation? :)

:D

Exactly. Dude, you got it.

Peko wrote:
I'm really surprised that could possibly be allowed :? ... b/c I'd think that would look like "discrimination" even though we'd be banning those who (in many cases) discriminate against us.

Yes, that's why it's surprising that in the original story, it seems it's now allowed in some cases to discriminate against heterosexuals.

I would guess most NT's wouldn't go near an Aspie bar (like most straights would never go in a gay bar). No loud music and ostentatious status displays! The point is that as a sub-section of society that gets routinely discriminated against by the masses, we do have a right, just like gays, to demarcate our own spaces, to change the world into what we want rather than just having to fit in.[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't mind being in a bar (ordinarily I just don't go to them, or on dates or anything either) if it were socially acceptable to read a great big fat book there; even better if it were cool to discuss it with someone who could actually hold a conversation about it.

Otherwise, I suppose flirting can be fun, done with the right person, but completely meaningless. Not that books make me feel like flirting; how frivilous. But, that's the point. Such a bar could have non-compulsory flirting.

A Thursday child ..

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 7:49 pm

More political correctness gone awry.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 8:16 pm

^ ^ Well, yes. I was being awry, I guess ..

I do like the idea, but my above comments are to be taken with a grain of salt.

A Thursday child ..

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 12:54 am

Interesting topic. I would be interested in ideas for what such a bar would be like. So far posts have mentioned a lack of blaring music and chess sets and video games. How would you design your own aspie bar? Maybe a WiFi hot spot and signs encouraging people to text each other via Bluetooth (as a way to break the ice before face to face conversations.)

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2010, 2:36 am

Totally enclosed Individual drinking cubicles.
Service through a little door so there is no talking to the bar staff.
OK to wear hoodies, burqas and masks.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 3:01 am

I like your ideas, flamingshorts.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really liking this whole thing more and more as ideas keep rolling.

Rocky good one with the Bluetooth.

A Thursday child ..

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2010, 4:41 am

flamingshorts wrote:
Totally enclosed Individual drinking cubicles.
Service through a little door so there is no talking to the bar staff.
OK to wear hoodies, burqas and masks.

I had this idea in my head two years ago and the individualized cubicles or booths would be the foundation.

Wifi connections inside which anyone has the option to use or not to use to interact with other patrons.

Easily customizable music, lighting, and background for each patron if one wants that.

Perhaps designated "social" areas (out of sight from entrance/exit) if two or more people interacting want to talk face to face.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2010, 4:46 am

I hadn't really given thought to whether i would want only people on the spectrum would be allowed, I wouldn't think so. Plus natural introverts or people with other condition i.e. brain damage may be drawn to such a thing. Like any bar I don't think this would be immune to problems.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:35 am

Rocky wrote:
Interesting topic. I would be interested in ideas for what such a bar would be like. So far posts have mentioned a lack of blaring music and chess sets and video games. How would you design your own aspie bar? Maybe a WiFi hot spot and signs encouraging people to text each other via Bluetooth (as a way to break the ice before face to face conversations.)

Like an Aspie version of Grindr? http://www.grindr.com/

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 6:05 am

mysassyself wrote:
I like your ideas, flamingshorts.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really liking this whole thing more and more as ideas keep rolling.

Rocky good one with the Bluetooth.

Thanks!

@ StuartN- I looked at the site via the link. Looks like it, except the GPS part. It would all be local to the AspieBar. One alternative to Bluetooth would be a chatroom specific to the AspieBar via WiFi.