Do you care about what other people think about you?

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 9:46 pm

No I don't.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm

not any more,I tried being nice but whats the use

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 10:22 pm

I care to the extent that I wish to display good manners.

ruveyn

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 10:50 pm

I'm typically unaware of what people think of me, and cannot really figure out or imagine what they may think of me. In that way I don't care.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
not any more,I tried being nice but whats the use

This made me laugh for some reason...

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:50 pm

My friends say I don't care enough what other people think. Usually when I hear what people say about me when I'm not there I think it's funny...although at the same time I usually judge them based on what they say. I guess I care what certain people think.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 12:15 am

astaut wrote:
My friends say I don't care enough what other people think. Usually when I hear what people say about me when I'm not there I think it's funny...although at the same time I usually judge them based on what they say. I guess I care what certain people think.

I've heard something like this too on occasion. Caring too much makes my head hurt--not worth it.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 1:56 am

To care what others think of us makes us human. To become attached to what others think of us can take our humanity away.

I observe the aspie with less social skills generally adopting a "I don't care" philosophy" which makes perfect sense to me.

I grew-up being humiliated abused for my unusual ways, and as a result I developed what I call my 'Odd-om-it-tron' which was a hyper vigilant internal censor, which enabled me to be what others wanted........all this was involuntary, an unconscious act of survival.

Now through many years of psychotherapy and much healing, I feel more much less attached to what others think of me.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2010, 2:06 am

Yes I do care way too much. Granted, I don't give a crap as much as I used to, but I still do.

And is this not like something almost everyone with Aspergers struggles with on a high level?

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2010, 2:06 am

Yes I do. It is important to me to be regarded as consistent and trustworthy in my community. Good credibility matters to me. But on a personal level, it matters much less to me than when I was younger, since my interpersonal relationships all failed, anyways.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2010, 2:43 am

When my anxiety was worse than it is now, I used to worry about what people thought about me, and I was always very self-concious. Now I just don't care about that anymore.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

It depends. For example, I don't care what people think of my face, which is covered in scabs and scars from acne. But I do care about what people think of my imagination, which is why I only talk about it with a select few people in real life (or online, where I can be anonymous about it).

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 9:21 am

It entirely depends. If the people are entirely circumstantial in my life, I don't particularly care what they think. Then again, I do my best to avoid emotional conflict with everyone.

A classic example of this happened to me a few weeks back. I was waiting at the bus stop where I thought the bus stop was supposed to be (it's not clearly marked where I live). Someone was waiting just up-road for the same bus. I had previously seen buses pass people by who were standing in that spot in favor of where I was standing. As the approaching bus stopped for that person, it was slightly too far away for me to run up to it, so I simply waited for it to come to me. When I boarded the bus, the driver yelled at me for me "in the wrong spot" and that I somehow should have worked out where to stand with the other person.

I don't particularly care much about what either this bus driver or this other passenger thinks about me, but it upset me enough to be yelled at that I'm obviously still thinking about it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 8:18 pm

I do. I feel bad over comments my parents have made and arguments from the past with them. I made a topic about these parent comments here. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt137662.html
It might seem like I blow off/don't care about an argument from a day ago but I do think on it for many months and years. :-(

opal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:13 am

Taupey wrote:
I do care what most people think about me because I want to be respected and thought of as a good human being, where ever I go... and I am.

Once in a while, I run into someone who is just miserable and so hateful they try to bring everyone around them down too. They can go XXXX themselves as far as I'm concerned. :)

x2
Couldn't have said it better

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:10 pm

no