Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2018, 6:49 am

This has to be the most annoying and frustrating social handicap ever.

And i do it ALL THE TIME!! ! I can't not, i've tried! Someone will be telling me about their day, say for example they missed the bus and a car went by and splashed them with a puddle, soaking them... and I laugh. Or as a real example, a colleague once told me he spent the weekend in hospital because his granddad had a heart attack. I laughed.

I should really not be around people... what an insensitive git! -_-

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2018, 7:02 am

I'm guilty of this too and have done it in a very inappropriate situation before.
Honestly though, I don't think most people care or take offense. If they're aware that it's an awkward or uncomfortable situation or topic, they're probably understanding

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 7:30 am

I dig that screen name....LazyFlower. Reminds me of someone I know that I have called that before....being her first name is that of a flower variety.

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2018, 8:53 am

I have this so bad.... The therapist frequently ends up commenting that I am talking about really distressing stuff while laughing. I just laugh whenever I feel slightly uncomfortable, and I have no idea how to stop it, I don't even realise I am doing it most of the time. Got me in some awkward situations plenty! Also makes it odd that I always look so damn happy and laughing no matter what I am speaking about. I think it creeps people out lol.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 10:23 am

AntisocialButterfly wrote:
I have this so bad.... The therapist frequently ends up commenting that I am talking about really distressing stuff while laughing. I just laugh whenever I feel slightly uncomfortable, and I have no idea how to stop it, I don't even realise I am doing it most of the time. Got me in some awkward situations plenty! Also makes it odd that I always look so damn happy and laughing no matter what I am speaking about. I think it creeps people out lol.

I'm the same

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 11:17 am

I've had this problem all my life too. Any time that I can't find appropriate words to say, I end up sniggering. It was worst when I was a kid. If I had been naughty, I would end up sniggering while my parents or a teacher were telling me off, then get double punishment because I "thought it was funny" to get in trouble. Same as AntisocialButterfly, I had it pointed out to me by counsellors when I was talking about the darkest thoughts of depression.

I got nick-named "Basil Brush" when I was younger because of it, and people would point out when I did it with his catchphrase, "boom, boom", which I found acutely embarrassing. You probably have to be a Brit of a certain vintage to get that reference - he was a kid's TV puppet character who was known for his inappropriate humorous interruptions when the guest celebrity was trying to tell a story, followed by "ha ha ha, boom, boom".

IntrepidKat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2018, 12:48 pm

I do this constantly. I've tried to stop, though, especially when interacting with males who may interpret it as flirting.

Turtleton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

Seems like we are not alone on this. I too get this comment from my therapist. I once started laughing in a section while talking about my dad who died of cancer. *facepalm*

I once read an article that explains why we start crying when we are overjoyed, and why we start laughing in times of extreme grief. It turns out that the human body loves balance. When our emotions get to the extreme, it will try and restore to the calm, balanced status quo. Thus the seemingly contradictory but uncontrollable reactions.

Perhaps our bodies mis-interpret the intensity of our own emotions and therefore trigger those reactions at the wrong time. This could be one of the many traits that come with the autism package.

My Pixiv page:
https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=21167374