Money spent for Asperger diagnosis worth it or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:36 am

Was the money spent for an Asperger - Autism diagnosis worth it or do you feel the cost exceeded the actual value of such a diagnosis?

Experiences?

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Sep 2010, 9:54 am

I was diagnosed when I was 9 so I didn't pay for it. But I'm extremely glad that my parents got me one as it helped me in many ways. If I hadn't been diagnosed, I probably still wouldn't know why I'm so different. Also, Wrong Planet wouldn't exist. . . lol

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:39 am

alex wrote:
I was diagnosed when I was 9 so I didn't pay for it. But I'm extremely glad that my parents got me one as it helped me in many ways. If I hadn't been diagnosed, I probably still wouldn't know why I'm so different. Also, Wrong Planet wouldn't exist. . . lol

then im glad ur parents got u a diagnosis

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:39 am

alex wrote:

then im glad ur parents got u a diagnosis

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Sep 2010, 12:06 pm

Yes, the money I spent on my AS diagnosis was worth it. I have no regrets for that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 12:25 pm

I think my parents spending it on mine was worth it. I don't know if their insurance paid for it or if they did out of their own pocket. Now I don't have to worry about if I have it or not or even go in for testing and trying to remember if I did this or that as a child or having to involve my parents and worry about them being in denial and not liking the fact I am trying to get another label or having my husband get involved.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 2:57 pm

Yes.

The year is still young.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

alex wrote:
I was diagnosed when I was 9

Can I borrow your parents please. Thirty plus years ago. :)

I was identified as 'different' as a toddler, however my parents decided that this was a Bad Thing and took advantage of a house move to disengage with the paediatrician I'd been referred to. Their fear was that I would be sent to a 'special school'. I went into mainstream education and didn't like it because it was a zoo. At infant school (think that's 'grade school' to you) a teacher told my mum that I was the only child she had ever seen who would have been better off being educated at home. My parents decided (probably correctly) that they couldn't and that I'd have to put up with the zoo.

But I wasn't told why I'm different until a few weeks ago. Because I never asked.

There may be some merit to their concerns about being identified as 'special needs' - we don't know what the education system would have done 30 years ago, and I've certainly done ok academically - I earned a higher degree from one of the UK's better universities. But I can think of many. many situations I'd have handled better if I'd have known that I was at a disadvantage with soft skills and why.

And getting a diagnosis is free in the UK. But there's no point now.