TO Alex Plank- Please change the name to Haven.net

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2010, 7:44 pm

Typing in wrongplanet.net makes me feel like a freak, an alien, alone, like something strange, wierd, I had enough of that.

Haven.net is so relaxxing and is nice to type in, 2 chat and talk to other people going through similar things.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 7:53 pm

It would be quite awkward for him to do that. I suggest that instead, you put the homepage in your favorites under the name "Haven." It will not, of course, help with the color scheme. (Blech. This color scheme is awful.)

Though I think it's not meant that way. Think about it this way: it's the wrong planet. That implies that there's a right planet out there, and that it's the planet that's wrong rather than you.

NOT A DOCTOR

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 7:55 pm

Just bookmark it, then you don't have to type it in. Save it to your book marks and change the bookmark name to something that makes you feel ok. :)

What web browser do you use? Its quite easy to do on all browsers. If you need a hand just ask.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 7:56 pm

I thought "WrongPlanet" refered to when people see someone who isn't exactly with it or is a bit far out and say "woooaaaah...wrong planet, dude"!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:01 pm

It refers to the experience of feeling like an outsider in one's own culture, similar to the way you might feel if you were a different species of sentient creature, raised on Earth by humans. This experience seems to be unique to disabled people and a few other minorities (sexual and gender-identity, mostly), because of the way we are actually born into a dominant culture we will never completely belong to. Of course, there are a lot of disability-related subcultures; Deaf was the first, but autism is one of the major disability subcultures. In a way, on the Internet we're finding our own "planet".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

matt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:01 pm

Corp900 wrote:
Typing in wrongplanet.net makes me feel like a freak, an alien, alone, like something strange, wierd, I had enough of that.

Haven.net is so relaxxing and is nice to type in, 2 chat and talk to other people going through similar things.
That domain is already in use by a different site.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:31 pm

Where does hell come in the picture? :lol:

But seriously though, Wrong Planet must have some sort of meaning, ask alex.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:44 pm

We can make a Saturday Night Live skit, with this material. :lol:

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:07 pm

Corp900- I think you are projecting your own feelings onto the name. In itself, it is not negative or calling anyone a freak. I am sure it is a personal thing. Alex created the site because he has Autism, so maybe he felt like he was born on the wrong planet sometimes. I have always felt like that, so I totally get it. I can't speak for him though. Have you watched his documentary?

Matbe you should ignore the name- that is all it is, a name. Explore the contents and focus on that- like looking past the exterior of things. The unease should go away with time.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:11 pm

The name doesn't bother me at all. Granted my NT brother (who acts more AS than I do) will ask if I'm talking to "other aliens" in an attempt at humor. Apart from that, I don't mind it. :)

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Sep 2010, 9:54 am

I Named it wrong planet because We came to the wrong planet but decided to stay even though we don't entirely fit in.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2010, 10:16 am

I have no issues with the name, either way... But I somehow associate the proposed name "Haven.net", as a place for battered women, or something. If the name would be changed, how about "Diverse Intelligence.net", or simply AutismLife.net, or ???

Or best idea, since I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I hate changes, I'm fine to keep it as-is.

Charles

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 3:56 pm

I support a name change. Aspies are not on the Wrong Planet, we are on Earth with the NTs and the animals. Where we should be. There should never be a clear distinction of differences between Aspies and NTs simply because it serves as the spark to ignite serious social problems in the near future, maybe an all out conflict between NTs and Aspies We are all humans and the majority of Aspies, including forum posters, need to stop going on about AS pride, because it just makes it look that there is a problem. There isn't a problem, its all concocted in your Aspie minds. You've made it a "You Vs Them" situation.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:17 pm

Haven.net is taken. Just about all such single-catchy-word domains are taken.

I like the name Wrong Planet and what it stands for.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:32 pm

We can't even get Alex to add a new rule or do anything. The last thing he is going to do is change the website name.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:33 pm

WTF are you practising for tabloid journalism?

Divisive topics once again? What is your ulterior motive here?