Are you happy that you have autism? Be Honest

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:53 pm

No, i was depressed before. Now im depressed and feel ret*d or something just to add it up.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm

I was happy that I was not crazy but have Aspergers. But I would rather be normal.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm

No, my impairments/deficits cause me a lot of pain and I'm depressed more often than not. While, for the most part I am comfortable with myself, others simply aren't, and that, more than anything is incredibly saddening. Having nobody to really talk to is painful, having your own family still not understand you after 29 years is painful... All my life I'm akin to a fish out of water, suffocating and flopping around on the wooden dock with a hook in its mouth. I need this oxygen to breathe, but getting it from the air is just isn't working out all too well.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:22 pm

Absolutely not.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm

When I add it all up, it's a definite yes.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm

Yes.

And that is absolutely honest.

Due to my autism, I've been kicked out of school, fired from jobs, locked up in a mental ward, suffered bullying and child abuse. I have very few friends and those I have I see less than once a month. I've been unable to communicate. I've had meltdowns so severe I can't remember what happened except that I "woke up" with bruises (and no, they weren't seizures). I've never had a boyfriend, will never marry, will never have a normal life. I don't have a car and I can't work. I'm living far below the poverty line.

Why the paradox? Well... I don't think unhappy autistic people are unhappy because they're autistic. I think they're unhappy for any of the many reasons that people in general can be unhappy. And I think that everyone has problems in life--just because my problems can sometimes be traced back to autism doesn't mean that I must necessarily be less happy than someone whose problems can sometimes be traced back to being NT.

I'm happy to be autistic because it's part of who I am. It gives me a chance to help people. I don't mind being on the outside of society.

What did make me unhappy was depression. While I was depressed, if I had known I had autism I probably would have blamed the autism for my unhappiness; but I would have been wrong. In reality, the problem was that I was under incredible stress and didn't have much useful activity to occupy me. I was feeling useless and under extreme pressure; depression was the natural result.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm

To be honest, yes.

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

The truth is overwhelming all of you.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:28 am

I'm happy with who I am.

guineapigirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2010, 1:40 am

Most of the time, yes. I feel like my AS makes me more intelligent and focussed than the general population. I don'tmind being different but I don't like pretending to be NT for most people. I also don't like some of the social issues that it presents but I know my limitations and I know that it's a part of who I am. I don't feel like I'm diseased but I wish that other people saw AS the way I see it, so that I could open up to them without being judged as "disabled" or "weird" or "antisocial".

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 2:09 am

Absolutely.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:53 am

Yes I am. I'm not like the other girls, because I have AS, according to my mom. I agree. It's good for me!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:58 am

Nope, I'm not happy with it. I'm indifferent for the most part, but sometimes I hate that it's there.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:08 am

Can you please stop making all of these self-pitying posts? You were diagnosed with ASD, not Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. And you're obviously high-functioning enough to be able to post on message boards to complain about having it, so it's not like you're the type of person who can't even communicate at all.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:11 am

Delirium wrote:
Can you please stop making all of these self-pitying posts? You were diagnosed with ASD, not Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. And you're obviously high-functioning enough to be able to post on message boards to complain about having it, so it's not like you're the type of person who can't even communicate at all.

Exactly what I've been thinking