New Research Casts Neanderthals as Techies

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 11:21 am

Weren't there science articles just a year or so ago speculating that Neanderthals were the original Aspergians? :?

Hugh Collins, 2010 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved wrote:
(Sept. 25) -- It turns out Neanderthals may not have been the slow, stupid creatures of popular imagination.

Call them prehistoric techies.

Sure, they may not have had smart phones and laptops, but these short, stocky hominids developed their own tools and adapted their behavior to changing environments, according to a study of Neanderthal cultures in ancient Italy.

The research shatters the image of Neanderthals as dull, primitive figures who were unable to compete with quick-witted Homo sapiens.

"Basically, I am rehabilitating Neanderthals," said Julien Riel-Salvatore, assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Colorado Denver. "They were far more resourceful than we have given them credit for."

Riel-Salvatore spent seven years studying Neanderthal sites throughout Italy. He focused on the rise of the Uluzzian culture, a Neanderthal group that arose in southern Italy about 42,000 years ago.

The Uluzzians used bone tools, projectile points and tools that could have been used for hunting and fishing.

These tools may have been a response to a change in climate that made the landscape more open and more arid, forcing the Uluzzians to focus on hunting small animals for food, Riel-Salvatore said.

"When we show Neanderthals could innovate on their own it casts them in a new light," Riel-Salvatore said. "It 'humanizes' them if you will."

Neanderthals lived in Europe and parts of Asia until about 28,000 years ago. They shared a common ancestor with Homo sapiens, though the Neanderthal branch of the family tree left Africa sooner, according to New Scientist.

The first Neanderthal remains were found in Germany in 1856. Studies showed that they were short and stocky, with large faces and barrel chests.

Sponsored Links
They shared more than 99 percent of their DNA with humans, making them our closest known relatives, studies say.

It has long been thought that Homo sapiens wiped out Neanderthals on their way to conquering the globe. Riel-Salvatore disagrees, saying that human beings may have "absorbed" Neanderthals on their way to conquering the globe.

"My research suggests that they were a different kind of human, but humans nonetheless," Riel-Salvatore said. "We are more brothers than distant cousins."
Filed under: World, Weird News, Science, Tech
Tagged: neanderthals, italy, julien riel salvatore, southern italy, europe, africa, new scientist, paleolithic, pleistocene, human evolution, geology, homo sapiens
Related Searches: neanderthal origin, paleolithic age, hominid

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 11:28 am

Long-published research in the field shows that when Homo sapiens sapiens and Homo sapiens neandertalensis occupied the same regions, the Neanderthals would eventually adopt the changes their Cro-Magnon cousins made to stone and bone tools - generally, it seemed, a century or so later, as if all the Old Guard had to die off first. In regions where the Neanderthals were isolated from Cro-Magnon, there's a dearth of innovation of any sort.

In other words, it was more like the Cro-Magnons occupied the socioecological niche that Aspies fill for "normal" humanity today...

This individual, on the other paw, seems to have his own axe to grind about Neanderthals.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 12:34 pm

Ive always viewed the human species more or less as dogs when dealing with this.

YEah I know there are DNA differences between Neaterthal and sapien, but I developed this as a way tyo kind of explain the absorbtion of Neanderthals. Basically because of the huge variance in human physiology, i view the whole sapien/neanderthal split as just different breeds, kind of like how dogs are sorted in the same way. Ive also develpoed it as a way to kind of explain to myself that its not really a hybrid because the of the fact that hybrids cant reproduce, especially considering that some people view the modern man as a hybrid.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:53 pm

Unless you use "hybrid" to mean crossing two separate species, then of course hybrids can reproduce. Mixing breeds can even induce what some geneticists refer to as "hybrid vigor", an increased resistance to disease and aging gained by fortunate combinations of the breeds' good traits.

It's difficult to get a sample of a Neanderthal genetic sequence, as they're all dead and decayed; however, there is a school of thought that holds that modern man, who is distinct in appearance from Cro-Magnon man (longer leg bones, shorter arms, minor differences in skull and facial structure), may well be the result of breeding between Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 2:19 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Unless you use "hybrid" to mean crossing two separate species, then of course hybrids can reproduce. Mixing breeds can even induce what some geneticists refer to as "hybrid vigor", an increased resistance to disease and aging gained by fortunate combinations of the breeds' good traits.

It's difficult to get a sample of a Neanderthal genetic sequence, as they're all dead and decayed; however, there is a school of thought that holds that modern man, who is distinct in appearance from Cro-Magnon man (longer leg bones, shorter arms, minor differences in skull and facial structure), may well be the result of breeding between Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal.

yeah, that was basically the meaning of hybrid I was using. especially since I believe that Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal are just variations of 1 species, while the usual school of thought is to put them as separates within the same genus. Its just been something ive been questioning for a while, so yeah, I am one of those who go with that modern man is just yet another variation on the scale between cro-magnon and neanderthal.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:49 pm

Perhpaps their ansestors invented the cars and never got the credit he deserved or his neanderthal ansectory was never disclosed. Perhpas this is why neanderthals hate car insurance so much.