Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:23 am

I have just seens this video :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOI365yD1Q&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

It shows how the author experience sensory overloads.

I have been able to watch it once (I just woke up, took a shower, there's no noise here and the sound wasn't too loud so it was "easy") but can't stand to watch it another time (it's giving me a sort of panick attack). I find it very interesting and think it would actually be great to show it to most people in order to help the neurodiversity movement because most people think that sensory overload is just slightly annoying or that one is exagerating their feelings.

However, I do not exprience that. I do not see things move that way, I have the same auditory exprience but visually, I only see the light becoming brighter and brighter until I get a migraine (sensory overload usually happens during a party or family reunion where everyone is excited, talking, making a lot of noise but I also have migraines for other reasons and I do not remember having this when I was a child, apart from the fact that I was already sensitive to sound and light).
I also feel as if I were out of the world, in another place, perhaps not really in my body (I got the same feeling when someone touch me). It's either that or I become angry, or both.

I wonder if it is a kind of sensory overload as well and what kind of sensory overloads those who have them (on this forum) experience.

PS: It could also be different because I may or may not be an aspie, for now I am only a dyspraxic girl who have another undiagnosed condition :lol:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:35 am

WTF was that :lmao:
I don't recall that ever happening to me. Then again sensory sensitivity isn't one of my main traits.
But I do get annoyed when I'm trying to listen to someone talk when there's all other crap going on, the person talking sounds like they're talking gibberish no matter how many times I ask them to repeat themselves. It gets annoying for the both of us.
Oh I do go tired (not sleepy tired, but "wtf is this" tired if that makes sense) and zombie-like when I go shopping center, but I still go when I get the chance :P
But apart from that, loud places don't bother me at all, and things don't go all psychadelic like that :lol:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:40 am

That was very effectively done.
Also, I took it to be a representation of what it feels like in his head and not what he actually experiences.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:14 am

Aimless wrote:
Also, I took it to be a representation of what it feels like in his head and not what he actually experiences.

Really ? Some people seem to say that they really see that. But I guess it could depend on the individual.
I sometimes feel like everything is going too fast to make no sense, it could be somehow like that I guess.

The girl who sent me this video actually see that when she is overloaded. She is a diagnosed asperger, but I've read that some autistic people did not have sensory issues or could handle them and there are probably nonautistic people who have them.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 10:17 am

lostD wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Really ? Some people seem to say that they really see that. But I guess it could depend on the individual.
I sometimes feel like everything is going too fast to make no sense, it could be somehow like that I guess.

The girl who sent me this video actually see that when she is overloaded. She is a diagnosed asperger, but I've read that some autistic people did not have sensory issues or could handle them and there are probably nonautistic people who have them.

I am wrong sometimes. :)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 10:31 am

Sensory overload

Possibilities include (incomplete list):

Lights

Flashing lights
Fluorescent lights

and so on

Sounds

Background sounds
Bells
Ringing phones
Sirens
Ferry boat horns

and so on

In some cases:

How textures feel

and so on

Other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_overload

Concussions

http://www.sportsconcussions.org/

etc.

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2010, 10:54 am

I've experiensed something similar when I was on a vacation once. But that was caused by a sugar shock (PS: a sugar shock is when you eat to musch sugar, the body produces alot of insulin to combat it and then you have to little sugar).

So it would be great if someone here whos had both a sugar shock and a sensory overload to compare the two and tel me about it.

ninszot
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

Great Video - I feel like this sometimes

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

I have challenges with auditory overload since I was at least nine.
It can make me very agravated depending on the type of sound.
Sometimes it's small noises (ie. pen clicking, nail biting,even keyboard
clicking!) Other times it's loud noises like engines or lawn mowers. It sometimes depends what
space I am in my head or where my blood sugar levels are at,and I
also need to be sure to keep well hydrated...Dehydration can really put my brain and mood in a bad ineffective space!

Mainly I need to take the time to take care of myself....Sleep, hydration, diet, exercise.
Time and time again I find these are the keys toward a more balanced, healthy me. Maybe it will be helpful for others to look at these key issues...Simple, but easy to neglect!

Namaste,
Anjie :)

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2010, 6:59 pm

I get screaming in my head

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

I have extremely sensitive hearing (I hear people chewing gum across a classroom and fluorescent lights sound like mosquitoes in my ears) and touch (I cannot tolerate light hugging or people placing there hands on me or people even in my personal space for fear of people bumping into me or touching me), then I moderately sensitive vision. When I experience sensory overloads, one of two things happen. I either shut down and don't want to talk to anyone, then, if bothered, I get very frustrated and might experience a moderate meltdown... or I start zoning out ('in my own world') and feel very tired and my senses get literally exhausted. I've never experienced anything like what's in that video before... I am not saying that it doesn't happen to people with Asperger's, but it seems more like a sensory overload for people lower on the spectrum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:24 pm

I have a hard time with loud noises, and flouresent lighting.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have a hard time with loud noises, and flouresent lighting.

I wish I could wear earplugs at school, and a sign that says, "Do Not Talk To Me". :P

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 8:22 pm

I have a overload type thing on High Frequ. tone like brakes going bad and sqeaking or Amplifer backfeeds. On CRTs I am able to see them Redraw on 60Hz and even 75Hz and that gives me a head ache almost instant, for that it was hard because my Highschool had computers in the class like about 8 or 9 and all the monitors were on 60Hz. Even taste some time when it comes to drinks debending on what is in the soda or other. My Smell and up there to because I can smell something in the air that my other family members can't like when there is a fire going on and I can tell if it is a fireplace fire or a brush fire or wild fire, even if it the smoke smell is from a electrical device.

Overall like with the Sound stuff like Engines like V6 and V8 I can handle also the weird thing soothing to me because it can be so deep in sound. Also I can even handle Trains and Train horns, were I live be are next to a Train track.. Sight I know CFF bulbs are at a sortant Hz which is mostly 60Hz those don't bug me. Then for taste I can overall take Sour or Spicey food, I can actually eat a Lemon with no sugar.

Different people have different thinks that does a sensory overload on there brain.

Also I just had a thought maybe on some people with Autism with there sensory overload they rock back and forth like in the video because the brain does not know what else to do.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

markitzero wrote:
Also I just had a thought maybe on some people with Autism with there sensory overload they rock back and forth like in the video because the brain does not know what else to do.

I rock back and forth, but my brain is still working.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

That video is how I experience sensory overload. What happens is I get lights, people get louder and louder before all their words start muffling together and things just don't seem right.
Video makes me anxious.