Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

phil_d1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2010, 4:49 pm

do you drink alchohol on a regular basis?

my answer is yes - after a hard day of not fitting in anywhere I find
that a few glasses of wine is the answer

I have tried doing without but I seem to just sit there
"why don't you join a club etc" you may ask

I have done in the past - health clubs etc - but seem to just be in a bubble there also

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:01 pm

fairly regularly. for many years i didn't, but i recently restarted with social drinking.. it turns me into a social butterfly of sorts, joking and having more fun than i would otherwise.

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Sep 2010, 6:24 pm

drinking is a crutch. It might help a little bit in the short ter, but will hurt you if you develop a habit of relying on it to help you be more social.

I don't like to rely on alcohol to engage in social interactions and it causes health problems so I avoid it usually.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:49 pm

alex wrote:
drinking is a crutch. It might help a little bit in the short ter, but will hurt you if you develop a habit of relying on it to help you be more social.

yes, it is a crutch. and an effectve one! but i use it to help me only on those occasions when it is socially acceptable to be consuming alcohol, for example a pub night with coworkers. but i would not be drinking at baby shower or a family birthday party, for instance.

so for myself, it is a crutch i use sparingly, and i don't consume to excess. one o two pints maximum, over the course of a night. i should have said that to begin with! i don't always explain the context in my posts.

alex wrote:
I don't like to rely on alcohol to engage in social interactions and it causes health problems so I avoid it usually.
also true about the health problems. the annual health costs for alcohol are higher than for obesity in the united states.

the flip side is that a low alcohol intake can be beneficial for some health conditions like high blood pressure. i'm supposed to have a drink a day, but i usually don't remember.

jakewp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2010, 6:54 pm

For some reason alchohol makes me feel dizzy and... nothing else. No better self confidence, happiness, just some body relaxing in small quantities. This is not the drug for me and the other ones are ilegal and I never tried.
I tried everything, a lot of beer brands, and the result is the same, not to mention that all taste like pure alchohol to me.
Someone else feels the same way?

They grow and flourish and then return to the source.
Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2010, 9:27 pm

it is a crutch but a fairly common one i for one am guilty of...

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Sep 2010, 9:31 pm

don't get me wrong. I have had drinks in the past, but recently i've realized that the long term effect is less positive even if it helps once and a while

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

23 Sep 2010, 12:06 am

I rarely drink...mainly because the taste of alcohol is just not appealing to me. If I do drink, it is the occasional wine cooler or hard lemonade. I may have one or so drinks a year. I have never been drunk or even slightly buzzed...I don't like the idea of the potential loss of control or loss inhibition.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

rjgarn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 1:33 am

Not as often I used to, I drank quite a bit after turning 21, but in the year and a half since I've really slowed down. Usually I won't drink more then once a week at most.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2010, 3:20 am

jakewp - yeah! I feel pretty much the same way you do. I don't enjoy alcohol, and can't drink much of it. By the way, who is that a picture of? Isn't it the "young grasshopper" Kwai Chang Cain from the old TV show "Kung Fu"?

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2010, 8:46 am

Not really, mostly because I am underage and I know there would be plenty of opportunities to drink alcohol when I am older and able to buy it myself.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2010, 8:53 am

I'm seriously trying to cut down on my drinking during the week, because I think I was becoming increasingly dependant on it and also was spending more than I could afford on alcohol. I was getting through a bottle of wine most nights just because I find it a comfort when I'm at home and it helps me to relax, and when I go out I feel I have to drink so that I can be sociable.

CrimsonKing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2010, 11:29 am

yeah, ...after graduating from Methadone in 08, which in turn was a response to injecting heroin/cocaine "snowballs" for ten years,.........

I drink anywhere from 1 to 5 quarts of Budweiser Ice (bottles) a day, starting at 8 AM, depending on how much change is in my pocket........alone in my room listening to online bootleg concerts from the 70s

I envy you guys who cannot tolerate alcohol....... i wish i had that physical aversion....

.for me, beer kills thought.....it's a narcotic, it's a pain killer......it keeps me from committing suicide and boredom.

Slow soft worms below"
------James Douglas Morrison, Paris 1971

Last edited by CrimsonKing on 26 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 11:33 am

I drank quite a bit in my early 20s and late teens, now I don't drink at all.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 11:37 am

I like alcohol now and again, I actually enjoy the taste of tequila quite a lot so it makes for a treat now and again for me personally. I try not to make a habit of drinking since it kindof runs in my family and I know if I let myself go it could easily become a problem for me, so I keep it in moderation.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2010, 11:55 am

I'm on medication that prevents me from drinking, not to mention I'm not 21. But I wouldn't want to even if I could. It just doesn't appeal.