Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

sc
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 4:45 pm

A.S.D Exercise and Nutrition

A topic to bring up issues for those of us that are less integrated in society. So some have much less exercise then others, also nutrition is important. Discuss both exercise and nutrition or each singularly as a topic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My strategy for exercise is either obsessive or not. For instance I have to do so many exercises a day, but recalling to do them and keep on doing them is a difficulty. Especially if the previous day I did too much and my whole body is sore.

Obsessive types of intents are likely what is needed to accomplish and follow-through.

Here is what I made part of an exercise routine.

1. 150 push ups a day, no matter how many at a time, as long as I am so tired from doing them at one time I can barely move my arms.

2. Magnetic exercise bike usage until my legs are so tired they have a funny feeling and I cant walk without leaning against the wall. 3 times a day at least.

With regards to foods, it is easy to eat bad things, things I am not supposed to like dairy with casein. I hope after I move that because of a grocery store being across the street I can have more fresh foods. Spinage lettuce and tomatoes being used on sandwitches, salads and other easy things. I do not cook complex things..

I’ve gone through times where there has been no exercise or proper nutrition, well most of the time, it’s a big difference in well being.

For yourself are there new ways for your health to increase exercise and good nutrition? This is a post to discuss such things and related.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2006, 4:47 pm

I bought a lined paper notebook of convenient size and use it for my training and exercise log. I keep it in the gym locker with a pen. Each page is headed with the exercise I'm doing and things like (on the machines) where the seat is set, and how much water I drank while doing them and how many minutes on the exercycle. It is very satifsying.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 5:06 pm

Where I am moving there is a work-out place in the grocery center, it requires membership. I am going to try it, also find the hours less people are there.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 6:28 pm

I really feel best when I am on some sort of exercise routine. I also drink protein shakes with glutamine. There seems to be some evidence that deficencies can cause anxiety and other problems.
The glutamine really helps your body recover quickly, so that you are not so sore the next day.

Where I used to live, there was a park across the street with a lake, and about a 5 mile trail. That was awesome. At one point I was running the whole thing after work a couple times a week. I'm in the sticks now on my grandfathers farm, so I cut a small trail 1/2 mile around a field. Running outdoors is best, the forest is ideal. I don't like gyms. I need to work out in my own space. So I have some free-weights that I use for this. I also copied the exercises from my friends "abs of steel tape" and I do this usually as a warm up.

Insupposable_Bear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2006, 8:51 pm

I re-started with some weight training about 6 weeks ago. I've been doing 3 sets of 15 reps to build up muscular endurance, but today I switched to 4 sets of 8 reps (I want to get quite a bit bigger - I was around 12 stone the last time I weighed myself).

All my equipment is in the garage, I have the following:

Multigym - It has a Leg attachment (for extensions/curls), Lat Bar, Pec Dec, Shoulder/Bench Press thing, and a low pulley.

30kg York Barbell (including dumbell bars) - Got this about 6 years ago. It saw a lot of use in my bedroom where I started with my training. The end of the bar would always hit my bed when doing bench press.

100kg Olympic Barbell

Dumbell Bench

Molded Dumbells - 2 x 1.1kg, 2 x 3kg, 2 x 5kg (My dad bought these, they're quite old. I need to get some heavier dumbells, although these ones are useful for exercising the rotator cuff)

Squat Stands

Exercise Bike

I have an All-Terrain Bicycle but have only really used it on the roads, and so far my rides have been limited to about 25-30 minutes. There's a nice park with some forest not too far away and I'd like to cycle there and do a circuit (at the park) and then cycle back one day.

Apart from that I try to go for regular walks, which usually take between 45-75 minutes

I haven't got my nutrition all planned out yet, but I'm eating better than I was. I'll probably order some Whey Protein and Maltodextrin/Dextrose of the internet soon, although I have some Whey already, which I've been taking.

Insupposable_Bear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2006, 7:43 am

Also, this is a good site for bodyweight exercises. http://www.frixo.com/sites/fitness/basics.html

sc
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 1:44 pm

What gives someone allot of energy, like those power shakes without odd things in it.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 1:56 pm

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_clust ... =mrd&hl=en

It seems expensive, why not eat apples and oranges?

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 2:52 pm

Energy ususally isn't a problem for me. Especially if I am exercising regularly.
I use 100% whey protein from GNC, and Glutamine powder.
This is most effective if you drink it right after exercising, and generally while you are still sore.
It provides the necessary ingredients for your body to repair itself quickly and add muscle mass.

Insupposable_Bear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2006, 4:03 pm

sc wrote:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=gnc+power+shakes&pid=2496203313159546488&oid=13121076070029222647&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en

It seems expensive, why not eat apples and oranges?

After you workout you need protein for rebuilding & repair (whey), and also carbohydrates (maltodextrin/dextrose) to replenish depleted glycogen stores. You can have a normal meal instead, but a protein shake is absorbed quicker and you can take it right after your workout (as spacemonkey said).

The site I'm probably going to get my stuff from has Whey Protein from £8.99 per kg, which seems pretty good value (at my current bodyweight this would give me about 33 servings).

I don't eat any fruits at all, I can't take them, but I have fruit juice and try to eat a good amount of vegetables.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 7:57 pm

Ok, well... I'll just eat more chicken. Starting tomarrow I am going to walk a mile as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 10:16 pm

I count my Calories, take my Dog for Walks and do extra Chores around the House. I also drink plenty of Water and Tea with Sugar Twin. I was doing Weight Watchers for a while, but I'm trying a more traditional approach, over the Summer Months. I'm seroius about losing weight. :|

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2006, 7:22 am

I don't do exercise as such because (here comes the vast irony) I have trouble making it a routine *hehehe*. I do walk a lot at work though, to and from the station, and up and down the library with customers.

I'm curious about the diet factor. I keep reading about GFCF diets and I've tried as an experiment to cut gluten out but it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. We're going to try the dairy thing next but I don't eat much dairy anyway. Is this all a myth or is it a genuine help to people with AS (in which case why doesn't it work for me? LOL)

I'm fairly well adjusted socially. I'm more concerned about helping other things - I have rhinitis which doesn't respond to treatment and digestive problems - and I'd love to nail them if there's a foolproof way...

Apple