Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2010, 6:09 pm

I'm on the spectrum but, without consulting with my parents, I can't be diagnosed.
I also have ADHD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety.
As a psychic/empath they would also like to label me with paranoia but my abilities are too controversial.

Anyone else with such a wonderful recipe for instability?

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 6:51 pm

Here's the thing: psychiatrists divide things into labels and categories in order to make sense of them, diagnose them, talk about them with each other, put them on forms, and so on, but these divisions are largely artificial. When things like this coexist in a single person, they are generally interrelated and there may even be symptom overlap between various "disorders." Thus, many people get multiple diagnoses like this and having one diagnosis of a mental illness or neurological problem makes it more likely that you will have other diagnoses as well. I think it's funny when I read that anxiety and depression are common co-morbids of autism/AS - as if that were a surprising medical fact (wow! these things show up together!!). I mean, anyone struggling with the challenges of autism is naturally going to be more likely to develop depression and/or anxiety. That just seems obvious.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 7:22 pm

tonin wrote:
I'm on the spectrum but, without consulting with my parents, I can't be diagnosed.
As a psychic/empath they would also like to label me with paranoia but my abilities are too controversial.

Empathic ability, yes. Psychic in the sense of telepathic, no. The brain does not generate enough power to communicate directly with other brains.

ruveyn

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Psychic in the sense of telepathic, no. The brain does not generate enough power to communicate directly with other brains.

ruveyn

:lmao: LOL, this is one of the best justifications I have read in a long time, but what antenna gain and distance are you considering? :D

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 7:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
tonin wrote:

Empathic ability, yes. Psychic in the sense of telepathic, no. The brain does not generate enough power to communicate directly with other brains.

ruveyn

Wow, I didn't even notice the psychic thing.

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2010, 3:28 am

Psychic - no telepathy, that's for dolphins but I can sense the 2 heart beats or 2 spirits of pregnant women, the dying body or sick spirit of a terminally ill animal, including human. I can see and feel spirits on multiple levels, not messages from the otherside but spirits of the landscape, energy centres, people's guides, angels, auras and animal totems. When I have been in a building where an act of violence has occured (unknown to me at the time) I get repetitive nightmares of the event until I report it. Aboriginal spirits guide me to sacred and community sites long forgotten and send environmental warning dreams in 3s before an event. And I know when trouble lies ahead of me in time and/or location and can act to avoid it, eg, bombings, landslides, theft, etc.

Empath - See above. And I know when those close to me need help. I have a sixth sense for ill relatives. I get sympathy pains for women close to me like my sister, sister-in-law and mother. I can feel the condition of spirits of people in close proximity. It can get overwhelming.

Call me a Kook, it's okay, I'm getting used to it.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 5:14 am

If anything, from a sceptical psychiatrist's point of view, psychic abilities corresponds with Schizotypal, not paranoia, I would have thought....

Anyway I think that it is also not good that they need your parents. I was 32 when DXed and I did a developmental questionaire... I asked my mother the questions... but some people may not have access to their parents for many reasons... I dont see why people should be denied a DX if that is the case.

Taking a break.