Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2010, 4:23 am

I have put down here a few of my own thoughts about AS Please do not think that I'm having a go at any of you guys and gals (not said that in a while have I?) As those are only a few of the thing I've discovered about myself (and others who have AS) over the years.

(In case you don't already know I've already stated in the past that I've known quite a few Aspies and the like over the years.)

Let us begin....

1. Some (but not all) Aspies I've met are spoiled brats, this is often due to a number of reasons, the most common ones being that their parents feel guilt over their having AS and wish to make their lives as easy as possible. Or it can sometimes be put down to the fact that their meltdowns are so hard to handle that they just 'give in' to shut them up!

2. As some Aspies don't get dignosed until they are older (i.e. not as children) they will be workaholcs or lacking in conferdece.

3. In the case of Aspies who DO get dignosed as kids, they will sometimes be very lazy as they will not have to have had to do anything for themselves. I must confess that I used to (and at times still do) fall into that camp.
As an added note: as they will often be lacking in life skills as a result and also be quite childlike.

4. Some Aspies don't take care of their apperce as they find it to hard (for understandble reasons) or don't see the need to do so.

5. Many Aspies like SF (I'm one of them!) And others will only read text books (which I also like to do at times)

6. Most female Aspies I've met are a mix of tomboy and girly girl.

7. Many Aspies are deep thinkers and philaspers (in most cases they are female although they are some males who also do this)

8. Male Aspies (when they are kids) will often think that they are superheros (i.e. that it's up to them to save the world) and will 'act out' when they are upset. Some do grow out of this, but I do know a few that are yet to do this.

9. Female Aspies will often (but not always) try and 'act like a lady' when they are young, often via 'mimicing', although they will (in most cases) grow out of this, happily they are often better equpieted to cope with situations than many males with AS.
Some aren't like this but in my experce I only know 1 fully maskline female who's also has a A.S.D.

10. With regards to Aspies who are lucky enougth to find a mate, the girls will often (for reasons of their own) get together with other Aspies (or those who have other conditions.) Although this does not always happen (in such cases) this can often mean that girls with AS are often luckyer in love.
Most men that I know who have AS try (and often fail) to get together with NT women/men due to their having outdated views about AS women being ugly. Although in the past I've met a few girls with AS who did not take care of their looks, nowadays most of the ones I know (inculed my girlfriend) look very nice indeed!
Even in such cases where they do look ugly, in my experce if you tell a girl what she's doing 'wrong' she'll correct it acorredingly.
I'm not saying that NT women/men are not worth bothering about, but the girls who are AS are not to be sneased at.

11. Lastly many Aspie Males I've known (myself inculed) are very tall and most Aspie females are very short. This is not always the case but it can often happen that way.

I hope I did not offened any of you (if I did then I'm sorry) with this as I only wanted to tell you a few of the things that I've seen over the years.

Goodbye Till Next Time

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:13 am

All of these are generalizations which I find wholly unsatisfying. Such generalizations are cognitively irritating. Is it an Aspie trait for me to want you to back up these generalizations with something closer to facts? Maybe some statistical evidence?

Ferdinando
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 6:15 am

Interesting observations. On what premises did you observe them?

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:22 am

I think you forgot 'Many Aspies usually have good spelling skills and if they don't, they have the sense of using a spellchecker, especially when they are self-proclaimed writers'.

Also, I can see more than incidental likeness with some passages of Tony Attwood's 'Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' and Rudy Simone's 'Aspergirls' (rather distorted, I admit) in the first 10 points. As for the last point, I would like to see some stats too. I've seen a number of polls on height on this and other sites and the results happen not to conform to the statement in p.11.

Last edited by Severus on 08 Oct 2010, 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2010, 7:32 am

Severus wrote:
I think you forgot 'Many Aspies usually have good spelling skills and if they don't, they have the sense of using a spellchecker, especially when they are self-proclaimed writers'.

Sadly I can't get my spellchecker to work at the moment....

As for the last comment that I made it was meant to be a joke!! !! ! (Although I do happen to know more than a few tall, male no less, Aspies.)

As for where I got the info from I'll confess that it was taken from a mix of my own life experces and reading books about AS.

Goodbye Till Next Time.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 7:41 am

Fail.

Not only are a good majority of those comments offensivly phrased, I'm certain that a few of them are utterly imagined. I'd wonder how many real life Aspies you've actually met, how varied their ages and diagnostic experiences, etc... How much of your "observation" is an generalization based on the negative posts that prevail in some sections of this, and other, websites?

Unless you haven't figured it out yet, there are a number of people who post here who haven't actually got AS, or have other issues that complicate it... blowing any suppositions you've taken from that particular pool of data.

-----

*nabhammer*

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2010, 8:18 am

Interesting...

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2010, 8:20 am

Sorry to have offened any of you. They were only my own thoughts, they were NOT meant to be a study into the way someone with AS ticks.

Goodbye Till Next Time

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:44 am

I'm not offended. But my sense of orderliness has been perturbed. Such generalizations are genuinely irritating to me. A sort of cognitive cacophony. I feel a compelled to pound them out of existence. Which is likely irritating to others.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:54 am

I wouldn't say that I was offended personally but honestly, there were generalizations that went just a bit too far. Also, I get really annoyed when one does not quote its sources.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:56 am

Your post has had the interesting effect of placing me in the paradoxical position of being compelled to post that I intend to refuse to comment.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:04 am

Omnicognic wrote:
Your post has had the interesting effect of placing me in the paradoxical position of being compelled to post that I intend to refuse to comment.

I find this hilarious.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:24 am

Omnicognic wrote:

Why, this must have been difficult. I myself couldn't resist. :lol:

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2010, 10:35 am

I strongly agree a lot of aspies are spoiled brats. One advantage for me being diagnosed late (22) but having physical disabilities is I am really good at advocating for myself, because as my disabilities never required an IEP past elementary school I never had someone else to speak up for me, I had to speak up for myself.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2010, 10:40 am

boosterjones wrote:
I have put down here a few of my own thoughts about AS Please do not think that I'm having a go at any of you guys and gals (not said that in a while have I?) As those are only a few of the thing I've discovered about myself (and others who have AS) over the years.

(In case you don't already know I've already stated in the past that I've known quite a few Aspies and the like over the years.)

Let us begin....

1. Some (but not all) Aspies I've met are spoiled brats, this is often due to a number of reasons, the most common ones being that their parents feel guilt over their having AS and wish to make their lives as easy as possible. Or it can sometimes be put down to the fact that their meltdowns are so hard to handle that they just 'give in' to shut them up!

2. As some Aspies don't get dignosed until they are older (i.e. not as children) they will be workaholcs or lacking in conferdece.

3. In the case of Aspies who DO get dignosed as kids, they will sometimes be very lazy as they will not have to have had to do anything for themselves. I must confess that I used to (and at times still do) fall into that camp.
As an added note: as they will often be lacking in life skills as a result and also be quite childlike.

4. Some Aspies don't take care of their apperce as they find it to hard (for understandble reasons) or don't see the need to do so.

5. Many Aspies like SF (I'm one of them!) And others will only read text books (which I also like to do at times)

6. Most female Aspies I've met are a mix of tomboy and girly girl.

7. Many Aspies are deep thinkers and philaspers (in most cases they are female although they are some males who also do this)

8. Male Aspies (when they are kids) will often think that they are superheros (i.e. that it's up to them to save the world) and will 'act out' when they are upset. Some do grow out of this, but I do know a few that are yet to do this.

9. Female Aspies will often (but not always) try and 'act like a lady' when they are young, often via 'mimicing', although they will (in most cases) grow out of this, happily they are often better equpieted to cope with situations than many males with AS.
Some aren't like this but in my experce I only know 1 fully maskline female who's also has a A.S.D.

10. With regards to Aspies who are lucky enougth to find a mate, the girls will often (for reasons of their own) get together with other Aspies (or those who have other conditions.) Although this does not always happen (in such cases) this can often mean that girls with AS are often luckyer in love.
Most men that I know who have AS try (and often fail) to get together with NT women/men due to their having outdated views about AS women being ugly. Although in the past I've met a few girls with AS who did not take care of their looks, nowadays most of the ones I know (inculed my girlfriend) look very nice indeed!
Even in such cases where they do look ugly, in my experce if you tell a girl what she's doing 'wrong' she'll correct it acorredingly.
I'm not saying that NT women/men are not worth bothering about, but the girls who are AS are not to be sneased at.

11. Lastly many Aspie Males I've known (myself inculed) are very tall and most Aspie females are very short. This is not always the case but it can often happen that way.

I hope I did not offened any of you (if I did then I'm sorry) with this as I only wanted to tell you a few of the things that I've seen over the years.

Goodbye Till Next Time

In my limited experience of meeting people with aspergers and autism (none of which have been female incidentally - so im ignoring those points) I'd have to conclude from my observations that the results havent been the same. Apart from maybe on points 4, 5 and 6 (for males).

Im not saying your observations are certainly wrong, but they just seem to differ from what I have experienced.

EDIT
Sorry I meant points 4, 5 and 7. Not 6.