Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

How many of you were, more or less, raised by TV?

I know I was raised by TV and in some ways it was good. It allowed me to view exaggerated social situations and learn what I am suppose to do. Of course the trouble with this is that I didn't realize that they were exaggerated and never could figure out why social situations never fit in life... It has actually only been recently that I realized that I learned all of my social skills from TV. However realizing that, I can whittle down what I learned and tone it down and adjust that knowledge to real life.

Thankfully it seems many in my generation were raised on TV, and if I am stuck looking for something to relate with the person, there is always TV.

If you were raised on TV, do you think it hindered you? Helped you? Or didn't really do anything for you?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:30 pm

I was raised almost entirely without it, but I was just as addicted to books as most kids are to the TV. I learned a great deal from those books, both fiction and nonfiction--including how to use language and how to understand people. My mom was always of the opinion that reading storybooks was useless; but I think I learned a great deal from them, especially because they tell how the characters are feeling and use only words rather than pictures and vague clues you have to catch and interpret on the fly.

As a kid, I did like television, when my grandma let me watch; but once I got to be about twelve or so, when I did watch TV I always found it too slow for me, and had to do something else in addition to watching in order not to be bored. There are many crocheted afghans in existence now because I thought a TV show was interesting but didn't want to sit still for it!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:34 pm

There was a TV in my house. I didn't watch it as much as my sister did. I was far more interested in music, from a very early age. By early, I mean the age of 9, which is a little young to get into music.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:30 pm

Callista wrote:
I was raised almost entirely without it, but I was just as addicted to books as most kids are to the TV. I learned a great deal from those books, both fiction and nonfiction--including how to use language and how to understand people.

I wasn't raised without television, and I did watch it, but I was also addicted to books, and this addiction has clearly helped to shape the person I am today--most (outwardly) noticeably in the way I speak, but in others as well.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:54 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There was a TV in my house. I didn't watch it as much as my sister did. I was far more interested in music, from a very early age. By early, I mean the age of 9, which is a little young to get into music.

Is it? I started begging my mom for records when I was six and would fixate on certain songs and play them over and over and over. I was WAY WAY WAY into "Little Willy" by The Sweet back then and if it were possible to literally play the grooves off a record, mine would have been completely smooth, I played it so much.

Yeah, I was a glam kid.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2010, 7:58 pm

No, I didn't start watching tv a lot until a couple of years ago. Now we have a dvr so I like being able to pause shows when I get a thought and need to pace or run. But my parents restricted tv somewhat, and I've never enjoyed the animated shows that are popular for kids.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 9:13 pm

I didn't watch much tv because I was in ballet and or at piano - both fairly anti-social activities. Also, at one point when we lived in Panama we didn't really have any tv to speak of. It was terrible.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:21 pm

I don't know if I was exactly raised by television, but I do know that cartoons and soap operas have been a huge part of my life, along with books. I think they kind of made up for a lack of like socializing in my life. I always had the characters to go home to in a way. I couldn't wait to see what happened to them. I don't know if I'm explaining myself right.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2010, 10:50 pm

When I got a hold of the internet and found places to download music, I would listen to the same song over and over and over again as well. The only problem was that my mom, at one point, banned music in the house, except for some christian music. Christian music... It's not good music. But now I will listen to the same song over and over and over again.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:21 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I don't know if I was exactly raised by television, but I do know that cartoons and soap operas have been a huge part of my life, along with books. I think they kind of made up for a lack of like socializing in my life. I always had the characters to go home to in a way. I couldn't wait to see what happened to them. I don't know if I'm explaining myself right.

I understand what you're saying. As a child, i used to daydream that I was on Gilligan's Island or Lost in Space, part of the family. In fourth grade when I got obsessed with Tolkein, I believed on some level that I was a hobbit and my fellow hobbits missed me terribly and wished I would return to the Shire. More recently, I became obsessed with being one of the Scooby Gang on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

My family has never been supportive. I don't have a circle of friends. I fulfill those needs through fictional characters.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:24 pm

As a kid i remember doing about 3-4 hours of TV per day, maybe more in the weekends, and less in summer.

I hate most telly nowadays but watch the odd show or documentary, maybe 3 hours per week.

I was a sporty kid as well

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:11 am

I think I was more or less raised on television. A lot of my childhood/teenage memories are tied to certain shows and movies. Admiring and identifying with fictional characters from television/movies is one of the main things that helps me get through life.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:35 am

Emphatically no. I think that is partly because my parents encouraged reading and outdoor activity, and partly due to the simple fact that there really wasn't much to watch. Until I was 21, we lived kinda out in the country and only got 3 TV stations - and not very clearly, either. Not saying we didn't watch any tv - Saturday cartoons were normal till I was maybe 11, and we always watched the Wonderful World of Disney on Sundays, even if we could barely see it! *chuckle*

And yes, I am an old fart, but I did NOT have to walk to/from school barefoot, uphill both ways, in waist deep snow after doing 3 hours of chores every morning. Occasionally it would rain instead! :lol:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:10 am

another_1 wrote:
Emphatically no. I think that is partly because my parents encouraged reading and outdoor activity, and partly due to the simple fact that there really wasn't much to watch. Until I was 21, we lived kinda out in the country and only got 3 TV stations - and not very clearly, either. Not saying we didn't watch any tv - Saturday cartoons were normal till I was maybe 11, and we always watched the Wonderful World of Disney on Sundays, even if we could barely see it! *chuckle*

And yes, I am an old fart, but I did NOT have to walk to/from school barefoot, uphill both ways, in waist deep snow after doing 3 hours of chores every morning. Occasionally it would rain instead! :lol:

LOL!

I'd forgotten about the Wonderful World of Disney! That was before Disney succumbed to whatever illness overtook its creative potential.

When I was little I used to watch Warner Brother's cartoons - like Buggs Bunny and Wiley Coyote. The ones commenting on WWII stuff were the best. Later it was Scooby Doo.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

My favorite when I was little was Kukla, Fran, and Ollie.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm

I grew up mostly without television - we didn't have a TV until I was, I dunno, sixteen or so. Did have both a computer (monitor only) and video player (monitor only), though. :) I don't watch much telly.

The year is still young.