Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:41 pm

Big shiny car = successful therapist. :lol:

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2010, 4:05 pm

A bad therapist talks to a grown-up patient as to a little child.

Most therapists here are funded by the single-payer system and connected to departments, at least when it comes to child psychiatry. I haven't had any contacts with adult therapy.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2010, 4:37 pm

Callista wrote:
One common trait of the therapists with whom I've made the best progress: They acted in ways that made it obvious they thought I was an important part of what was going to help me get better. I wasn't an object anymore; I didn't have to sit down and be a good little mental patient. They weren't superior; I wasn't defective. That made all the difference.

Oddly enough, they also tend to be the ones with the lower ranks on the psychology totem pole: A social worker; a graduate student in psychology; a nurse-practitioner. Coincidence? No idea.

Those are the sort of people who get interested. That seems to be critical point here that makes or breaks good therapy. Plus, it helps if they are saner than you are.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 4:49 pm

Exercise your demons! Oh speak to me great rubber lips

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:15 pm

Moog wrote:

Or a lousy therapist who also happens to be a trust fund baby.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:16 am

Xeno wrote:
Moog wrote:

Or a lousy therapist who also happens to be a trust fund baby.

Mmhmm... successful and good don't always equate in my head.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:01 pm

The councillor 2 doors up from me, is just trying to make ends meet. She also sells stuff at the markets.

She utilises a winning smile and attentive body language and incorporates her art therapy degree in her style of help.

Just retuned from Brisbane, she needed a job and took one in a place shes not 100% keen on, and doesnt like the female boss who takes 65% of the $95/hour charged to clients.

I found her unfairly belittling online, in a forum. In her lounge, she constantly struggled with my manner, and ended up bullying me, prolly because of my aspie thing.

I've seen her being horrible to others too, as she is in actuality a put down bully of a reasonably high order, who aspires to a high rank aka alpha female within groups.

Totally totally totally a bad councillor for aspies 8O

Last edited by Surfman on 15 Oct 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:08 pm

Surfman wrote:
She utilises a winning smile and attentive body language

Beware the winning smile.
I listened to an eye doctor once, despite my instincts.
Her most prominent feature was the winning smile.
It sure as hell wasn't her surgical technique.
I'm reminded of my mistake every time I look out a window, or watch a movie at the wrong angle.
I've learned. Painfully. NEVER trust the winning smile. Follow your instincts!

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2010, 5:50 pm

Surfman wrote:
I've seen her being horrible to others too, as she is in actuality a put down bully of a reasonably high order, who aspires to a high rank aka alpha female within groups.

Totally totally totally a bad councillor for aspies 8O

Sounds like an insecure alpha (beta in the wrong position). Such people should be avoided.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:58 pm

There's good therapy for AS? My internal definition of therapy is going to some person in a white room who stares at me and asks me uncomfortable questions until I'm crying. What should it be like, what should you get from it? "Talking about it makes it better" and "try to be normal" aren't answers.

How does keeping track of your behavior help?

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm

Bluefins wrote:
There's good therapy for AS? My internal definition of therapy is going to some person in a white room who stares at me and asks me uncomfortable questions until I'm crying. What should it be like, what should you get from it? "Talking about it makes it better" and "try to be normal" aren't answers.

How does keeping track of your behavior help?

For AS itself, not so much, in my opinion. But I for one have co-morbid disorders along with it (severe OCD and mood disorder), as well as neurosis from child abuse. Keeping track of behavioral changes and changes in overall mood helps me to figure out the roots of subconscious issues, and how to get through them. I realize that therapy isn't beneficial for everyone, and that's fine, but keep in mind that not all AS patients are affected the same way, or have grown up the same way. And just so you know, "normal" doesn't mean s**t to me. I'm just trying to get the best out of life.