AS people seem more illogical then NT ppl why do u say Autst

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2010, 4:15 pm

AS people seem more illogical then NT ppl why do u say Autistic people are more logical?

I dont ever really see any logic on this website, i do hear alot of bragging that AS people are more logical, but it dosent seem logical do be arguing about facts all day when the AS are missing the whole point!

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 4:16 pm

Can you offer specific examples or are you just making a sweeping generalization rooted in confirmation bias?

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2010, 4:19 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Can you offer specific examples or are you just making a sweeping generalization rooted in confirmation bias?

correct

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 4:24 pm

Corp900 wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

correct

Your answer makes no sense. What is correct, that you are making sweeping generalizations based on confirmation bias?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

I think aspies being logical is just a myth because we also let our emotions get in the way so we act all irrational. And I keep hearing we never let our emotions get in the way so we act on thoughts than emotion but that is just a myth. I have seen aspies act on emotions because they are also human. We're not robots.

I can go on and on about how aspies are also illogical but I don't feel like writing an essay.

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2010, 4:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I think aspies being logical is just a myth because we also let our emotions get in the way so we act all irrational. And I keep hearing we never let our emotions get in the way so we act on thoughts than emotion but that is just a myth. I have seen aspies act on emotions because they are also human. We're not robots.

I can go on and on about how aspies are also illogical but I don't feel like writing an essay.

thank you

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 4:46 pm

Corp900 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

thank you

You claimed that Aspies are MORE illogical than NTs. All she offered is that always considering Aspies as hyper-logical is myth. So you are thanking her for what? Not proving your point?

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:

First we'd need a proper definition of what is considered irrational the word rational and irrational can be twisted to mean ANYTHING. A better idea would be to list mistakes or stupid things that aspie do and then try to find out what is the likely cause, and more importantly not all aspies are the same.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:22 pm

I agree with League girl.

Most apsies I know are very irrational and prone to OCD and emotional reasoning.

I think AS is very paradoxical......very irational and rational at the same time.

ari_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2010, 5:29 pm

I think that AS people are more logical than NT people, because they use logic and thought to make decisions. NT people do that too, but they let emotions get (more) in the way of decisions. So they may 'know' what to do, but don't do it because they are angry/sad/happy with the situation.

Off course this is a generalization and portrayed a bit more black and white than it actually is. :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm

aww, man. my life is too depressing to be this serious online. thats why i'm having fun with this guy, :pig:

i hope it isnt bothering you

:)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm

We may appear to be more logical at first glance, but we're just as affected by our emotions and prone to make judgement errors as non-autistics. And sometimes less equipped to handle them.

Maolcolm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2010, 5:44 pm

I can only go by my own experience and the literature I have read about other people with AS.

Based on that I do suspect that people with AS do tend to be more logical than N'T's and less emotionally compromised.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I agree. Based on personal experience, all the aspies I know, including myself, are prone to being overly emotional/irrational at times.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 7:02 pm

I don't even know what it would mean for a human being to be logical. At first I thought I did, and I was going to make a post here with that in mind, but then I thought some more and now I'm sure I don't.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 9:58 pm

I think we are hyper-logical, and that this is what often leads to choice overload and executive dysfunction in autistics. If you can't make quick decisions using your emotional system, you tend to be indecisive and easily frustrated. Being "irrational" is not actually a bad thing; in fact, being overly logical can create major obstacles. If you don't use your emotions to make decisions, you often end up trying to juggle fifty different details and figure out which are relevant while making a decision; and that is not something our brains were designed to handle--our brains just don't have the short-term memory capacity to hold that much data. Have you ever been stuck standing in front of the cereal aisle trying to figure out which cereal to buy but unable to choose from the twenty different brands? Or maybe you just choose the same brand every time because you know it's just so much easier than trying to sift through all of that data. If so, chances are you're very rational in your decision-making, and it's leading to choice overload.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com