emotions or empathy?

Do you use systems to organize yourself generally
in day to day life?

How does systemizing help you?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:23 am

I'm not sure what you mean. I am very disorganized, externally, but where I live in my head is very structured. I just find it very difficult to communicate that structure or to express it in my daily routines.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2010, 3:27 pm

this is something that also interests me very much. there are discrete systems/patterns everywhere, and one way I know to function better in a world of these patterns is to make patterns of my own behavior and what i expect or search for in my environment.

I have a system for eating skittles and m&ms. I have a system for walking. I have a system for travelling to and from school. A system for showering and dressing.

And one of the things I'm working on now is to build more systems and patterns for the things I continue to have trouble with, like homework, interacting with people, getting decent food to eat, etc.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:34 pm

I have a system for when I wake up in the morning, I have system for how I commute, I have a system for analysing social interactions and myself.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Nov 2010, 3:51 pm

i dont use systems. i have a routine :D

usually i wake up and immeadiatly head for my fire agate to say good morning, then its off to cuddle the :pig: after that i spend my time online, get my hot water fix maybe go for a walk
watch some T.v, eat then go to bed

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:59 pm

quaker wrote:
I am interested in the many ways people in the
spectrum use systems.

For example.....do you use systems for your
emotions or empathy?

in day to day life?

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean, really.

My system for emotions is this; when one (or several) comes up 1. I try to be aware of it. 2. experience it's fullness. 3. let it pass without trying to negate it or solidify it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:59 pm

quaker wrote:
I am interested in the many ways people in the
spectrum use systems.

For example.....do you use systems for your
emotions or empathy?

in day to day life?

Systematizing and working "by the numbers" is the main way I have gotten through life. The NTs have natural talent for intuiting other people's thoughts and moods. I had to learn how to do it empirically. I learned to "paint by the numbers". It is a bit inconvenient, but it works

ruveyn

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:44 pm

I guess what I mean by systemizing emotions is trying to figure out them out in a very anyalitical way in order to manke sense of them.

I spend so much of my time trying to be human rather than allowing myself to be human. Of late I have accepted this is just how I am and part of the package of HFA.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

quaker wrote:
I guess what I mean by systemizing emotions is trying to figure out them out in a very anyalitical way in order to manke sense of them.

I spend so much of my time trying to be human rather than allowing myself to be human. Of late I have accepted this is just how I am and part of the package of HFA.

Are you alexithymic? Seems to be quite common of the people I know on the spectrum.

Try Vipassana meditation. Sit down and get quiet, and connect to yourself. Notice how feelings that aren't related to touches from the objective world manifest and fade out in the body. Notice what thoughts or or other forms of stimulation they are connected to, i.e. causes.

This is the best (only) article I can find on Meditation in relation to Alexithymia.

http://www.thecamreport.com/2010/08/eff ... al-skills/

Quote:
the results.

* The meditation program produced significant differences in alexithymia and in social skills.
o There was a 20% improvement in the total score for alexithymia.
+ No significant changes were observed in the control group.
o There was an increase in variable social skills ranging between 16% and 23%.
+ In the control group, changes ranged from 0% to 4%.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2010, 9:50 pm

WHen I eat skittles...

Given a fair quantity (a handfull or a bag), I will first appease my initial desire by a couple of my favorites (red and purple). If my desire is great, I may combine red or purple with a yellow for a kick. But I really try to avoid combining red and purple with the other colors.

Then I hold out on my favorites a little, because I have just broken past my initial desire, want to continue it at a lower level, and have this whole amount to finish. So I eat one of each favor ranking, going through ranking as many times as it takes. And here it is up to my fancy when to have red or purple again. But it usually goes yellow to green to orange, yellow green orange, yellow green orange.

But I keep an eye on this because I want to make sure that in the end I can finish up with my favorite flavors, to make my skittle experience echo into the future as a fair, just, positive experience.

But of course, compromises have to be made within the yellow green orange series as numbers are never equal. There is a method to this compromising, but i think I've said enough about this now.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:55 am

Thank you Moog

I don't think I am alexithymic......in fact I think I am very emotionally articulate and expressive. Never short of a word to convey my inner-world.

However, I know that I seem to do everything systematically, and I guess that extends in some way to all areas of my thinking and living.....including my emotions.

I was pleased you mentioned meditation........I get great joy from this, being a quaker and attending regular meetings. I also teach mindfulness and the Alexander Technique which has helped me a great deal in being more in my body and less compromised in the world.

Wishing you well from London.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 6:34 am

Hey, I have one good advice which I use myself maybe once a week or if I find the time.
Since I know that thoughts are trigged by emotions, I found out that I can get to my emotions by knowing what Im thinking.
I sit down for one hour (and I force me to sit there all the time without doing anything else) and concentrate to think about "what Im thinking", and I write down headlines, such as; memory of situation, philosophy, science, day planning, etc.
With this method I discovered automatic thoughts that keep comming up, the same thought, and if I dont need it, I find out what trigges it. Since its trigged by different thoughts, its hard to discover, but only if Im actual aware of it and think about the source, I can change it and choose a new direction.
This helpes me to become more aware of my feelings and my thinking structure.

And I think that the basic of creating a system in the first place is to have an overview... Sorry if I missed the point of your post, my systems are still in progress.