Do people call you when something happens to them?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:45 am

People I know call me sometimes when something happens to them. For example, my boss (whom I consider my friend, too) called me to let me know how his appointment with the dentist went. It's not that I'm bothered by such calls, quite on the contrary, but I find the thought process behind them fascinating. Do people just go, "Well, something happened to me today, so I'll just call X and let them know about it"? Don't you think it's a really interesting behavior?

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2010, 6:43 am

I might understand of something really exciting had happened, like your friend had escaped a bomb or witnessed a UFO . . . but going to the dentist? That's really boring. I wouldn't call anyone about that unless the specifically asked me to let them know how it went beforehand.

IWantYourSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2010, 6:49 am

Nobody calls me and I don't call anyone in return. Such is life when you have nobody you can trust.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:36 am

my girlfriend is about to lose her grandmother.

ever since i have known tammy, she has spoken about her fear of when her grandmother would die.
she loves her grandmother to an extreme degree, and she walks down to her grandmothers house almost every day.

her grandmother loves her very much, and tammy walks there to see her very often.

her grandmother went to hospital 4 days ago because she could not keep food down, and it was thought that she had a mild infection. she is 91 years old.

during the first night in her stay in hospital, she had a major stroke, and she is now disabled to the degree that she can only squeeze hands.

she has lost almost all of her consciousness and she can not talk and she can only feebly move her right arm. she can not talk or even open her eyes.

tammy keeps ringing me every 20 minutes or so because she seems to need to hear my voice.

i try to be optimistic about the chances that her grandmother will pull through. a disasterous stroke will kill a person within 6 hours so i told tammy that it may not be disasterous, but only catastrophic (not much better). her grandmothers brain can still keep her heart beating without help, and she can also breathe without help.

but her grandmother is in a coma, and i believe she is going to die within a few days, and tammy wants me to give her hope that her grandmother may "pull through"

i try to be optimistic to say that her grandmothers brain is not so damaged as to not be able to sustain her vital organs, but i do know that her grandmother will not make it.

i can not bring myself to say to tammy that she should go to her grandmother and say goodbye, because tammy will explode with grief if i say that. she listens to what i say and she believes in me without doubt.

i do not know how to salve tammy's grieving heart after her grandmother dies (which she certainly will).

all i can think of to say is that in 200 years, everyone on this earth today will also be dead.

no matter how lucky they seem to be (like billionaires who are physically attractive and smart and who have socially permeative personalities), they will be dead in 200 years.

all the queens and kings have to die, and all the stars will die, and so will i and so will she die.

so it is not the case that anyone is treated by god unfairly because no matter how sweet their life is, it will end.

sorry i must go to sleep now because i can not talk well.

CreativeInfluenza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2010, 7:45 am

I find my friend needs to call me about twice as often as I need to call her. It gets very boring having to answer the question, "What else is new?" all the time when nothing has had a chance to happen from the last time we talked. I find I often dread answering the phone because I'd rather be doing something else. It worries me and I think I'm being a bad friend.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 8:49 am

I used to have this friend who called me 10 times a day to tell me everything that was going on in her life. She ate a banana or one of her dogs got sick.

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Nov 2010, 10:27 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I used to have this friend who called me 10 times a day to tell me everything that was going on in her life. She ate a banana or one of her dogs got sick.

I hope you 'turned her on' to the twittering classes to get her off your back.
Or the twattering classes as they should be called.

Only kidding, they don't bother me.
I find them amusing.
I might even do it myself 'for a laugh' if I thought anyone might be remotely
interested.

But seriously, you have people that call you?
I know it might be annoying sometimes, but lucky you.
Try and enjoy the moment if you can.
And point them to twitter if you can't.

I think what I just said sounds patronising, but I really didn't mean it to be
as such.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm

not really. people have been sending me these really bizzare text messages though, like ok.

yesterday someone sent me one with a bunch of labradors in them and named them..

yellow lab, chocolate lab, then the last picture said. METH LAB, and had a dog showing a wierd face

It was dumb. the person who sent it to me was my mother! shes slowly decending into old age rapidly and i cant deal with her sometimes

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

This doesn't happen to me often. It's usually online when it happens. My friends want to share something about themselves like a drama they had or something wonderful or something. Sometimes I will be dragged to a thread like one of my online friends decided to brag to me about how he got someone to block him and he posted their IM chat on I2 about it. He told me how much this girl had been pissing him off so he decided to just piss her off so she can block him and I told him why not just take her off his contacts and he won't see her online again and also block her. I didn't like the idea of him wanting to piss her off and I also told him why not just tell her to stop talking about her cats if it's annoying him. But he still wanted to piss her off. I remember feeling very pissed about him then and annoyed with him about what he wanted to do. Now he regrets pissing her off, go figure. He also brags to me about his trolling he does online so what my friends do online, I sometimes know about it, same as their dramas they have with other users here or there because they tell me about it.
I even ask for the link to a thread when I get told about a drama because I get curious. It's like seeing a car wreck, you just have to slow down to look at it because you are curious right? Well when I hear about a drama happening, I want to see it because I am also curious. I'm like "oo oo ooo I wanna see." I think that's why I like drama. One of my aspie friends doesn't understand why I like dramas so much but he figures maybe I like it so much because I am curious. I think so too. To him, drama is boring so he doesn't sit and read it or even get involved.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 6:00 pm

Yeah, they call me when sometimes happens. For example:
Valoy, there's something wrong with my laptop!
Valoy, have you a book ...?
Valoy, I don't know how to calculate ...?
Valoy, could you see my tax form and count it all again? I'm not sure...

I have one friend who calls me, because she wants to talk, but she never tells me about heart problems or something like this. Lucky me.
Other friend sends me the messages about new books he bought or something similar. I like these messages.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 7:00 pm

Poppycocteau wrote:
I might understand of something really exciting had happened, like your friend had escaped a bomb or witnessed a UFO . . . but going to the dentist? That's really boring.

LOL.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 7:23 pm

alexptrans wrote:
People I know call me sometimes when something happens to them. For example, my boss (whom I consider my friend, too) called me to let me know how his appointment with the dentist went. It's not that I'm bothered by such calls, quite on the contrary, but I find the thought process behind them fascinating. Do people just go, "Well, something happened to me today, so I'll just call X and let them know about it"? Don't you think it's a really interesting behavior?

The same thing happens to me with my boss's wife. I find it interesting to a certain point only because she has many friends and i think my responses to her are not typical... although i try. I often ask questions maybe make what she is saying seem to have more depth and stick in my memory. Though it usually makes me feel dumb when she brings up a topic i have already found particularly uninteresting and i start my regular line of questioning until i have the moment of 'realization'. I don't think i would continue to have conversations with a person if i noticed this about them... which makes her really interesting.

TiaMaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm

People know better than to call me. I hate talking on the phone. People text me when they have something to say, and I choose to reply or ignore it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 10:12 am

well tammy's grandmother died earlier today.

tammy was in partial denial shortly after because it did not sink in. she rang me to tell me that her grandmother died, but she did not seem phased and when i asked her what she was going to do, she said "go for a bra fitting", and when i repeated what she said with incredulity she giggled.

later in the day, tammy rang me again and she was crying and i realized that it had now sunk in. i spoke to her for about 1/2 hour and she felt quite a bit better after talking to me.

then she said "you should talk to my mother" because i think she felt that i would be able to make her mother feel better (it was her mother's mother that died)

tammy: you should speak to my mother.

me: no! your mother does not need me to talk to her at this time. she needs family and friends to support her.

tammy: i'll just go and get her.

me: no! tammy!!.......tammy? tammy are you there??

(tammy is medium functioning autistic and she reasoned that because i made her feel better... then i could make her NT mother feel better too)

tammy's mother (barbara): hi mark! how's your day been?

i thought "thank god she is asking me about my day, because i have nothing smart to say about her day"

i started to talk about what happened to me in my day, and i find it almost impossible to abbreviate and summarize so i detailed every circumstance that happened to me from the time i woke up. after i had detailed everything that had occurred in my day up until about 11am she said "well mark i hope the rest of your day goes well" and i said "but it is 2pm so i am not finished yet" and she said "talk to you soon mark" and i said "ok" and she handed me back to tammy. we spoke for a while and i had to go because i was very busy.

after a while, tammy rang me back and wanted me to say more words to soothe her heart and then she foisted me upon her undamaged NT sister who told me off for my "self centered conversation with her mother" earlier.

nothing about what happened today is my fault so i told her that i have been seconded to say things that are out of my depth and she should just butt her bony skull out of situations that she will never understand. (understand my predicament that means i sound smart but say words that are stupid)

i have to go to a funeral and that is something that will consign me to the scrap heap as far as her family is concerned.

i am so glad that i can sleep well no matter what happens and i am off to rem world right now.

bugger fvckinration!! life is so busy

TiaMaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2010, 11:07 am

^ That story is hilarious. I am always at a loss for words when something bad happens to people. I have no clue what to say, so I usually don't say anything about it. And I get accused of being self-centered & heartless too.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

They call me for the date of the next mixed martial arts pay-per-view. They know that I will have the answer.